Growing Up - the 1900s
To Jay Creek and back
Alice in the 1920s
Arriving on the 'Old Ghan'
Greetings from Alice Springs
A Town Like Alice
Jedda's Leap - the making of Aboriginal film stars
Pioneering pastoralists - the Hayes family
Alice Springs and Central Australia
Arrernte Aboriginal people call the area where Alice Springs is today Mparntwe. The country continues to hold spiritual and cultural significance for the Arrernte as part of a wider creation site complex stretching across Central Australia.
Alice Springs takes its name from Alice, the wife Charles Todd, the man responsible for building the Overland Telegraph Line in Central Australia. The Springs are next to the Telegraph Station north of the present day town. The little town was originally called Stuart and not officially named Alice Springs until 1933. In the 1880s, the pastoralists overlanded stock from the south and east to establish pastoral holdings. This was a time of conflict as pastoralists and Aborigines competed for land and water. Some pastoralists walked off their land, defeated by poor economic times and harsh droughts, but some of these families remained and continue to work the stations even today.
In about 1913 according to federal policies of the time Aboriginal children of 'mixed descent' were taken to basic accommodation behind the Stuart police station known as the 'Bungalow'. In 1928 the 'Bungalow' was moved to Jay Creek , 45 km west of Alice and in 1932 brought back to the Alice Springs Telegraph Reserve Until Alice Springs was connected by rail in 1929, the town was dependent upon the 'Afghan' traders (who actually originated from the area now modern-day Pakistan ) who brought goods and supplies north by camel from the railhead at Oodnadatta.
During World War II, the capital of the Northern Territory moved to Alice after Darwin was bombed and the town grew in size swelled by the numbers of troops stationed there. In the 1950s the region became famous in the title of Neville Shute's novel A Town Like Alice describing Alice Springs as the best outback town in Australia . Tourism began and this is still a major industry.
*Please Note: Alice Springs was formerly known as Stuart, however, for consistency and to avoid repetitious explanations, Alice Springs is referred to by its present day name throughout the exhibition.
|1937-00-00||Aboriginal children at the Bungalow||-|
|2009-01-01||Alice in the 1920s||Kilgariff, B. F. (Bernard Francis), 1923-|
|2009-01-01||Arriving on the ‘Old Ghan’||Miles, Margot|
|1955-01-01||Bob Tudawali||Lorman, Steve|
|0000-00-00||Car stopped between the two oaks near Deep Well||-|
|2009-01-01||Central Australian pastoral lease owned by Hayes family in 1922||-|
|2009-01-01||'Color, excitement at premiere : hundred flock to see Jedda'||-|
|2009-01-01||Greetings from Alice Springs 1930's||Cawood, Stan|
|2009-01-01||Greetings from Alice Springs 1950's||Cawood, Stan|
|2009-01-01||Growing up – the 1900s||Park, Eileen|
|2009-01-01||Jedda's Leap – the making of Aboriginal film stars||Kunoth-Monks, Rosalie|
|2009-01-01||Jim Hayes and Richard Hayes||-|
|0000-00-00||Mr. Peer Mahomet||-|
|2009-01-01||Pioneering pastoralists – the Hayes family||Hayes, Jimmy; Hayes, Ritchie|
|1950-01-01||Rosalie Kunoth-Monks||Lorman, Steve|