'Greek Town' 1915-1916 Collection home page

'Greek Town' 1915 - 1916

Darwin was a multicultural town but ethnicity determined where you lived and worked. The Anglo-Europeans were administrators, judiciary and civil service and occupied Smith Street.

In 1911, at the time the Commonwealth took on the administration of the Northern Territory, about half the Darwin townsfolk were Chinese. They lived in Cavenagh Street, called ‘Chinatown’ which was the centre of commercial activities.

Aboriginal people lived out of town at the Kahlin Compound next to Myilly Point and – there was a curfew which curtailed the hours they could spend in Darwin.

There was also a Greek community in Darwin. Greek men came to the Territory to build the Vesteys Meatworks, the remains of which can still be seen at Darwin High School on Bullocky Point. John Magriplis recalled how it began.

Browse
Subscribe to this collection to receive daily e-mail notification of new additions RSS Feed RSS Feed RSS Feed
Collection's Items (Sorted by Submit Date in Descending order): 1 to 3 of 3
PreviewIssue DateTitleAuthor(s)
greek_town_Magriplis.pdf.jpg2009-01-01SalonikaMagriplis, John
2009-01-01‘Greek Town’ 1915-1916Haritos, George
PH0781-0080.tif.jpg0000-00-00Vestey Bros meatworks-
Collection's Items (Sorted by Submit Date in Descending order): 1 to 3 of 3