Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Note: the high definition versions of some images are not available online, but may be Ordered
Full metadata record
|dc.contributor.author||Andrew, Bertha Martha||en|
|dc.contributor.other||Cook, Bertha Martha||en|
|dc.subject.lcsh||Women -- Northern Territory||en|
|dc.coverage.birthspatial||Koolunga (S. Aust.)||en|
|dc.coverage.burialspatial||Alice Springs (N.T.)||en|
|dc.coverage.deathspatial||Alice Springs (N.T.)||en|
|dc.description.biographical||Bertha married Abraham Andrew at Broken Hill, New South Wales on 9 April 1903 at the Salvation Army church and they had two daughters and two sons. In 1934 Bertha at the age of 53 and her husband left Port Lincoln, South Australia and arrived at Henbury cattle station in Central Australia in 1935 with some of their family. The family travelled with a heavy wagon pulled by 27 donkeys, and another pulled by eight donkeys. When they finished work at Henbury retimbering a well and the homestead, they moved to Temple Downs to build a dam in 1937. Once the dam was completed they shifted to a water soakage named Yowa. Here Bertha and Abraham obtained a small grazing license of 320 kilometres around the area situated between boundaries of Tempe and Angus Downs and the property was named Andaloo. They had gathered stock in payment for some of the work they had done for different pastoralists. Before setting themselves up at Yowa the Andrews had lived in a cave at Reedy Hole in the George Gill Range for a while. Their daughter died in 1938 leaving two children 10 and 12 years old at Yowa. The Andrews abandoned Yowa camp and moved to Olunga on Andaloo. In 1940, her husband and son were contracted by the owner of Glen Helen station to build a lime concrete homestead at Glen Helen Gorge. In later years, this became the centre of the present day Glen Helen tourist chalet. The Andaloo property was too small to develop and was poor grazing country; the Andrews abandoned it and moved to Curtain Springs about 1944. The family found and opened up another native well and built their first homestead this is where the present Wayside Inn is situated. Her husband died in 1951, she moved into the ‘Old Timers Home’ run by the Australian Inland Mission. Bertha was of pioneering spirit she had the ability to give the roughest camp a homely atmosphere and to present bush cooked meals with the barest ingredients.||en|
|dc.relation.localuri||http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/5981629 [Carment, D. 1949-. Northern Territory Dictionary of Biography. Rev. ed. ed. Darwin: Charles Darwin University Press, 2008.]||en|
|Appears in Collections:||Territory Women|
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in Territory Stories are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.