Territory Stories

The citation : the newsletter of the Northern Territory Police Museum & Historical Society

Details:

Title

The citation : the newsletter of the Northern Territory Police Museum & Historical Society

Creator

Northern Territory Police Museum & Historical Society Inc

Collection

Citation; E-Journals; PublicationNT; Citation

Date

2008-11-01

Location

Berrimah

Notes

Made available via the Publications (Legal Deposit) Act 2004 (NT).; This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Northern Territory Police Historical Society; Northern Territory Police Force; History; Police; Periodicals

Publisher name

Northern Territory Police Museum & Historical Society Inc

Place of publication

Berrimah

Series

Citation

Volume

Issued November 2008

File type

application/pdf

ISSN

1839-3918; 1839-390X

Use

Attribution International 4.0 (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright owner

Northern Territory Government

License

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/260808

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/490458

Page content

November 1, 2008 [CITATION: NT POLICE MUSEUM AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY] C I T A T I O N - N o v e m b e r 2 0 0 8 Page 7 clambering over a barbed wire fence with a billycan of milk using stumps he had built to do so. Mrs. Turner, who had just returned from Adelaide after a serious illness, had to climb the fence three or more times a day. The goats and fowls were kept for their health reasons, as well as treating the sickness of Europeans and Aborigines in the district. He asked to be informed as soon as possible about the gate. If not supplied, he would buy one privately. The reply from Inspector J.C. Lovegrove on 7/11/1940 read: As a result of the "Wet season" having commenced, with the attendant impassable roads, this matter can be again brought up next year when roads are trafficable. Meanwhile, with your considerable carpentering experience, and lack of much police work to do, you might put together an improved turn-stile that will tide you over this period. This obviously irked Turner who on February 15, 1941 wrote that as his wife had been afraid of having an accident climbing the fence, he had sent telegrams to two Darwin firms but they had been unable to provide a gate. Buying tools from locals, he had constructed a gate. There is a photograph of a gate in the online collection which almost certainly was the subject of the one in the correspondence. As to the supposed lack of police work, Turner told Lovegrove that since his return from recreation leave, he had not been " hibernating" and with the Tracker had found a great deal of work to do. It had taken days, in all weather conditions, to pull up the long grass growing about the building to prevent it from becoming a wilderness, as it had been on his return. As part of a drive to collect the history of the police force, Turner sent three old Daly River Police Station journals to headquarters for binding and preservation. These started from October 9, 1906 with entries by Constable Maurice Murphy and ran through to August 2, 1918 with Sergeant Wood. After the bombing of Darwin, the Daly River Police Station was handed over to the control of the military and the Independent Company set up a camp opposite the station. Its members were nicknamed the Nackeroos because they made great use of horses on patrols (See May 2008 Citation article by Barry Frew.) There were fears that the Japanese would invade along Top End Rivers and the Independent Company kept a close watch on the main waterways. Several buildings in the Daly River area were stripped or demolished by the military and Turner wrote to authorities expressing concern about several matters, including the spread of VD. The police boat was commandeered and abandoned by the military after it lost the propeller and broke the shaft. Turner had to recover the vessel and it was rowed back to the police station. Aged 60, Turner retired on May 16, 1944 and he and his wife returned to Adelaide. Both died in l960, Tom seven weeks after his wife. By sheer luck, the writer of this article, attending an Adelaide deceased estate auction in the 1980s, came across a scrapbook, a photo and postcard collection and books which had belonged to the Turners. A badly blotched l946 newspaper clipping referred to the death in Adelaide of Bill Dale, 76, one of South Australias oldest and ardent supporters of cycling. Seeing that Tom Turner had won cycling races in Pine Creek, it is likely that he had some connection with Dale. The article said Dale, a foundation member of the Norwood Cycling Club, and a member of the League of South Australian Wheelmen, was a competitive racer in the earliest days of the sport. He had ridden against Dick Davis, a champion of the penny farthing era. In fact, Dale had won the last penny farthing race in Adelaide.