Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 17 Nov 2014

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 17 Nov 2014

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2014-11-17

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/254129

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/532687

Page content

MONDAY NOVEMBER 17 2014 NEWS 07 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Schoolies volunteer for travel adventure THE class of 2014 is shaping up to be the most adventurous group of schoolies yet, with record numbers heading overseas for cultural experiences and volunteering holidays. Although the Gold Coast is still expecting around 45,000 students to arrive at the end of this week, data released by Student Flights shows huge growth in school leavers heading overseas. Among the most popular destinations are schoolies-only resorts in Vanuatu and Fiji which are up between 40 and 50 per cent on last year. In addition, the number of schoolies going to volunteer in places like Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Africa have skyrocketed 120 per cent, and Bali and European packages are also selling well. Student Flights General Manager Darren Boyd said the cost was comparable to a schoolies stay on the Gold Coast, and often represented better value if flights and meals were included. Schoolies is a growing market in the adventure travel space with increasing demand for small private group tours, Mr Boyd said. Parents are more invested and happy to pay for their school leaver to go on a group tour as their end of school present. He said the majority of in terest was for Asia as it was cheap, easy and convenient for school leaver trips. Popular options include land tours of Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia as well as sailing trips through Thailand and Myanmar, Mr Boyd said. Sailing trips are for a maximum of eight passengers which means school leavers are able to get a group together for an exclusive trip. For those taking the more traditional path to the Gold Coast, luxury resorts have been highly sought after by schoolies seeking to mark their milestone in style. Schoolies.com chief executive Matt Lloyd said five-star hotels were more than happy to accommodate the youngsters with the Hilton Surfers Paradise offering a rate of $712 a person for seven nights. Schoolies are more organised than ever, so theyre booking a year or sometimes two years in advance to be sure of getting what they want, Mr Lloyd said. Mr Lloyd estimated 75 to 80 per cent of year 12 students around the country now took part in some sort of schoolies trip compared with 35 to 40 per cent 20-years ago. In partnership with Qantas, News Corp is offering readers the chance to win flights to the value of $25,000 to bring loved ones home for Christmas from any Australian or international city on the airlines network. To enter the Feels Like Home competition, go to escape.com.au By ROBYN IRONSIDE Schoolies teenagers celebrating in Kuta, Indonesia. Every year over 3000 students descend on destinations such as Bali, Thailand, Fiji and Cambodia Picture: GETTY IMAGES Schoolies are more organised than ever, so theyre booking a year or sometimes two years in advance Young suspect on the run A NIMBLE young boy has sparked a police chase and is still on the loose after allegedly stealing and dumping a car before fleeing on foot in Bellamack yesterday morning. Northern Territory Police Duty Superintendent Louise Jorgensen said the alleged offender appeared to be about 13 years old. Sup Jorgensen said the teen had stolen a car then dumped it at the entrance to Bellamack around 10am yesterday. A lengthy foot pursuit ensued with the boy jumping fences and eventually outrunning police. Police have located the stolen car and were looking for (the boy) in Palmerston, Duty Supt Joregensen said. (He lead officers on) a foot pursuit and went down an alleyway between Temple Tce and Rilston Ave. He was jumping fences and went towards the Chung Wah intersection towards Moulden. The boy has not been sighted since. Sup Jorgensen said the boy, of Aboriginal appearance, was wearing blue shorts and a grey shirt. He was seen going into the new housing estate in Bellamack and took his shirt off, Duty Supt Jorgensen said. Anyone with information relating to the identity of the boy or his whereabouts should call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. Anger on nuclear dumping NATIONAL environmental groups, the Australian Council of Trade Unions, public health and aboriginal representatives have urged the Federal Government to stop searching for a site for a remote dump. Instead, the groups want an inquiry into the best way to manage nuclear waste. Beyond Nuclear Initiatives Natalie Wasley said Northern Territory and South Australian Aboriginal communities have taken successful action against nuclear waste being dumped in remote Australia. Australian Conservation Foundation spokesman Dave Sweeney said nuclear waste outlived any politician so the issue would need to be managed well. In a joint group statement to the minister, the Beyond Nuclear Initiative and Australian Conservation Foundation said: For over two decades, successive Australian governments have sought to manage Australias radioactive waste inventory through the development of a co-located remote central dump and store. This approach has repeatedly failed to win social license and has been characterised by division, contest and the inability of the Commonwealth to realise a site. Public comment has closed for a planned Federal Government move to start a nomination process for potential radioactive waste dump sites. NBN on way for more suburbs THE Territory continues to crawl slowly towards highspeed internet access, with preparation for NBN groundwork set to begin in parts of Palmerston, Millner and Coconut Grove. NBN Co spokesman Justin Jarvis said the NBN rollout was continuing to gather momentum across the Territory. Work is also under way to bring the NBN to an additional 22,500 homes and businesses including parts of Nightcliff, Rapid Creek, Darwin City, Ludmilla, Malak and Karama, Mr Jarvis said. The latest announcement represents a further 4700 homes being on track to have access to the high-speed fibre optic network. The NBN Co says that on average, it takes 12 months from the preparation phase until residents are able to connect to the NBN. Mr Jarvis said that while over 14,000 NT homes and businesses were currently able to access the NBN, fewer than 5000 homes had actually connected to the network. The Territory has the lowest NBN take-up rate of all states and territories. Member for Solomon Natasha Griggs said access to highspeed internet was a milestone for residents and gave greater certainty to businesses. The message for Gray, Gunn, Palmerston CBD, Farrar, Millner and Coconut Grove residents is clear superfast broadband is on its way, Mrs Griggs said. The rest of the territory remains in the dark as to when it will have access to the NBN. By CRAIG DUNLOP Striking Gold DARWINS tenpin bowlers are preparing for the years final major tournament. The Darwin Gold Cup, at The Planet on Sunday, will be held over nine games for multiple divisions. As many as 20 bowlers will be in action. Entry to the event is free. Spectators are encouraged to check out a great sport on the rise in the Territory. The competition gets underway at about 8am.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.