Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 1 Nov 2018

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 1 Nov 2018

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2018-11-01

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/305800

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/356850

Page content

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 1 2018 SPORT 37 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Colleen sitting pretty in titles JACK HISLOP Prodigal son will bring in new era Raiders a friendless foe for NT Eels in Darwin THE Territorys request for Parramatta to again host North Queensland at TIO Stadiums annual game next year has been quashed by the NRL. The NT Eels will instead play Canberra in Round 15 at Marrara on Saturday, June 29, 2019, despite the Raiders small support base in the Top End. The Cowboys are scheduled to take on St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium in Wollongong that same weekend. NT taxpayers fork out about $1 million a year for Par ramatta to play in Darwin, plus a trial game in Alice Springs. Tim Watsford from NT Major Events said the Cowboys would have been the ideal opponent, considering their popularity in Darwin. North Queensland drew an average attendance of 10,181 over the past two seasons at TIO, while in 2014 when the Raiders played at the same venue, just over 9500 fans turned up. The Territory requests a number of opponents including the Cowboys to play in Darwin each year against the Eels, Watsford said. Noting the constraints of the draw process with the NRL, 2019 will see the Raiders play the Eels at TIO Stadium. Canberra may be forced to catch two planes, or drive three hours to Sydney before flying direct. That is because flights from the nations capital to Darwin are limited. A Raiders official told the NT News that the club had been unaware it would be playing in Darwin until a day before the draw was released last week. JACK HISLOP COLLEEN Orr came from a set down against Canadas Mary Wright yesterday to maintain her strong position at the International Champion of Champions event in Sydney. The Darwin Bowls Club member representing Australia also beat Alicia Oliverria (Argentina), taking her record to seven wins from eight matches. It has her placed second in her section which includes 12 bowlers with a top three place necessary for semi-final qualification. I was looking down the barrel a little bit because I couldnt find my line, Orr told the NT News of her match-up with Wright. I actually lost the first set by three shots. I got a couple in towards the end of the first set, and then went short and managed to find the line in the second set, which I won. We then went into a tiebreak situation and I won that 5-0. But she still stuck with me. It was a really good match and I was actually lucky to get away with it. Orr said having coach Tony Shelley alongside her had already proved a major bonus. I think Im giving him a heart attack every time I go out and play because Ive had some close ones, Orr said. But hes been fantastic support for me. The thing about this game is you have to concentrate 100 per cent, but you go in and out, so to have someone there to gee you up when you need it is really awesome. Despite being well placed with four preliminary matches to come, the Territorian said she wasnt counting her chickens. I havent had my bye so Im sitting second, but I have dropped a set so that potentially could bring me down, she said. Im not entrenched in the top three. There are five ladies in the top half who have lost only one or two, so I think it will go down to the wire. DES Hasler isnt motivated to bring back the good old days at Manly, but rather deliver the club a new era of success. Thats the word from Haslers long-term strength and conditioning trainer Don Singe, who this week signed a deal to return to Brookvale. Singe worked with Hasler for 13 seasons between 2003-15, including two premierships with the Sea Eagles. And according to Singe, the new Manly head coach is as determined as ever to steer the Sea Eagles to glory. It is not that Dessie is back he is hungry, Singe told the NT News. There is a difference. I mean, you can bring a coach back and its great because the good old days return. Des has a point to prove but he is also quite self-motivated. I honestly dont think his motivation is to prove anything. He wakes up every morning and he drinks a cup of football it is who he is. Haslers Manly homecoming has been hailed as a return to the clubs glory days including two titles under Hasler in 2008 and 2011 but Singe doesnt agree. Those days are gone, he said. What we need is energy, enthusiasm and innovation that is what you are going to get with Des. Singe is also eager to help Manly become faster and stronger through his role as head conditioner. The veteran trainer says he is now more qualified in the sports science area than he was during his premiership seasons at the Sea Eagles. I think Im a better trainer now, he said. Im about to complete a masters at Sydney University in coaching and education. Territory lawn bowler Colleen Orr is representing Australia in the 2018 World Championships at St Johns Park in Sydney Picture: KERI MEGELUS Brasher bashes coaching changes DISGUSTED by the NRL coaching merry-go-round, Balmain great Tim Brasher has still backed new Wests Tigers mentor Michael Maguire to spark the joint venture if he sticks around. Brasher slammed NRL coaches for changing teams like they change their undies but hoped Maguire was committed to his three-year Tigers deal and making a difference as Ivan Clearys replacement. Cleary earned the ire of Tigers fans after seeking a release from the final two years of his deal to reunite with Penrith in 2019. Brasher tipped big things for the Tigers under Maguire but hoped the South Sydney premiership-winning mentor was determined to hang around and inspire the joint venture after the Cleary debacle. As long as he wants to be there, that is the main thing, Brasher said. Bennett set for Broncos swansong BRISBANE bosses insist Wayne Bennett will not have his contract torn up after Anthony Seibold was yesterday unveiled as the supercoachs successor at the Broncos. Brisbanes board voted unanimously for Seibold, who has clinched a four-year deal, worth an estimated $3 million, to coach the Broncos until the end of 2023. However, Brisbanes hierarchy made it clear Seibolds contract would start from 2020 scuppering speculation the Broncos and Rabbitohs would swap coaches immediately. Souths boss Shane Richardson says he has no issue with Seibold honouring the final year of his deal in 2019, while Bennett is adamant he will stay at Red Hill next season. Seibold, the reigning NRL coach of the year, has just one year of first grade experience and is now tasked with turning the Broncos into a title-winning force. MATT LOGUE I was looking down the barrel a little bit because I couldnt find my line C O L L E E N O R R


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.