Territory Stories

Year in review 2016-2017, Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association

Details:

Title

Year in review 2016-2017, Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association

Collection

Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association yearbook; Reports; PublicationNT

Date

2017

Description

Made available via the Publications (Legal Deposit) Act 2004 (NT).

Language

English

Subject

Livestock -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals; Beef cattle -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals; Ranches -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals

Publisher name

Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association

Place of publication

Darwin

Copyright owner

Check within Publication or with content Publisher.

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/304642

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/363392

Page content

addition to supply chain options for organic cattle has the potential encourage more people to become accredited. Operationally, the Bohning Yard experienced another busy year on the back of a good season across large parts of the region. unprecedented winter rain may have disrupted mustering for some members, and even forced the changed of date for the annual Show Sale, but certainly kept production humming through the year. Numbers of transit cattle remained consistent throughout the year, with a total of 37,000 head being spelled at the yards. Of these numbers, 9,300 head were certified organic. It was also a busy year for sales, with four held between June and September. Prices were competitive, yardings strong, and buyers turned out in good numbers at all four sales, and the quality of the cattle presented showcased the season and production capabilities of the region. The four sales resulted in more than 11,500 head of cattle with a gross value exceeding $12 million, moved through the yards. They weighed an average 400kg and sold for an average $1,100 a head slightly up on last years average $1,016 a head. Some 70% of the cattle were bought by South Australian processors and feedlots, while the remaining 30% were sold as feeders to buyers in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. Combined the sale and transit figures saw a total of over 48,000 head of cattle through the yards for the 2016/17 year, which is a great result. Once again the facility showcased its versatility, with buffalo and horses also spelling at the facility. The 2017 Real Jobs Program Induction Program was held at the facility in February 2017, with new recruits being put through their paces using the NTCAs horses and motorbikes, as well as learning a range of maintenance skills in the shed, to become job ready as they head to station stock camps around the Territory. Operations Manager Noel Cuffe continues to deliver an exemplary level of service to members and clients of the Bohning Yards. The smooth functioning of the facility is in no small part due to the hard work and professionalism of Noel and his team. The NTCA thanks all members, clients, agents, trucking companies and DPIF staff for their support of the facility throughout the year, and wishes members all the best for the year ahead. This development of the facility opened significant opportunities for Central Australian pastoralists, who responded well, with significant numbers of organic cattle, making use of the new accreditation at the subsequent sales and when transiting to interstate. NTCA YEAR IN REVIEW 2016/17 117


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.