The Northern Territory news Fri 22 Jun 2018
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
14 WORLD FRIDAY JUNE 22 2018 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 CARACAS: Venezuelan authorities yesterday revised to 18 the death toll following a stampede at a crowded Caracas club over the weekend. The deaths occurred after a brawl broke out during a middle school graduation party and someone detonated tear gas, sending more than 500 people rushing for the exits, said Interior and Justice Minister Nestor Reverol. The tear gas canister did not cause the death of these 18 people, he told journalists. It was the stampede of 500 people in the place who did not have sufficient evacuation routes. On Saturday, Reverol had said eight minors were killed in the incident. Yesterday he said that eight people had been detained in connection to the case, including an adolescent who confessed to having set off the tear gas. There have been several incidents with tear gas over the past year in Venezuela, but with no victims. The country is grappling with a severe economic crisis and pressure for President Nicolas Maduro to step down, amid a collapse in the price of oil, leading to chronic food and medicine shortages. Survivor Barbara Barca with her relatives Picture: AP PHOTOS Trumps family backflip President puts halt to separating children from parentsWASHINGTON: Bowing topressure from anxious allies, President Donald Trump abruptly reversed himself yesterday and signed an executive order halting his administrations policy of separating children from their parents when they are detained illegally crossing the US border. It was a dramatic turnaround for Mr Trump, who has been insisting, wrongly, that his administration had no choice but to separate families apprehended at the border because of federal law and a court decision. The order does not end the zero-tolerance policy that criminally prosecutes all adults caught crossing the border illegally. But, at least for the next few weeks, it will keep families together while they are in cus tody, expedite their cases and ask the Defence Department to help house them. It also doesnt change anything yet for the some 2300 children taken from their families since the policy was put into place. The news in recent days has been dominated by searing images of children held in cages at border facilities, as well as audio recordings of young children crying for their parents images that have sparked fury, questions of morality and concern from Republicans about a negative impact on their races in Novembers midterm elections. Until yesterday, the President, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and other officials had repeatedly argued the only way to end the practice was for Congress to pass new legislation, while Democrats said Mr Trump could do it with his signature alone. Thats just what he did. Were going to have strong, very strong borders, but were going to keep the families together, said Mr Trump. Under a previous class-action settlement that set policies for the treatment and release of minors caught at the border, families can only be detained for 20 days. Mr Trumps family is said to have played a part. A White House official said First Lady Melania Trump had made her opinion known to the President for some time that she felt he needed to do all he could to help families stay together, Kiwis over moon at PMs new baby girl WELLINGTON: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has given birth to a healthy baby girl, sparking celebration at home and headlines around the world. Welcome to our village wee one, the 37-year-old politician posted on social media last night, having been driven to hospital in the morning by partner Clarke Gayford. The baby the couples first was born at 4.45pm NZ time weighing 3.31kg (7.3lb) and both mother and child were doing well, Ms Arderns office said. Im sure were going through all of the emotions new parents go through, but at the same time feeling so grateful for all the kindness and best wishes from so many people, she said. There was no mention of a name, although Ms Ardern earlier warned the couple were struggling to pick one. Ms Ardern now becomes the first elected world leader to take maternity leave and only the second to have a child while in office having handed over her duties to her deputy earlier in the day. She is expected to take six weeks off. Born on June 21, her baby will share a birthday with Pakistani PM Benazir Bhutto, the only other elected leader to have a child while in power. Club stampede toll rises Ferry anger grows Family members mourn their missing relatives who were passengers of a ferry that capsized in North Sumatra Picture: AFP PHOTOS JAKARTA: Distraught relatives slammed Indonesias government for not enforcing basic safety measures on passenger boats and pleaded for a bigger search effort for more than 190 people presumed drowned after a ferry sank on a picturesque Sumatran lake early this week. The wooden vessel, overcrowded with passengers as well as dozens of motorbikes, didnt have a manifest and disaster officials have several times raised the number of people it was carrying as family members who rushed to Lake Toba in northern Sumatra, an island in Indonesia, provided information. The boat was five times over its passenger capacity of 43 and equipped with only 45 life jackets, Transport Minister Budi Karya Sumadi and National Search and Rescue Agency chief Muhammad Syaugi told a news conference. The latest information is that 192 people are missing, Mr Syaugi said. Only 18 survivors have been found in bad weather within hours of the sinking on Monday evening, which according to Syaugi occurred in waters at least 300 metres deep but only half a kilometre from an island thats popular with visitors to the lake. Its possible many of the victims were still inside the sunken ferry, said North Sumatra province police chief Paulus Waterpau. Many survivors told authorities that less than half of them had jumped into the water before the boat sank, he said. Suwarni, whose 20-yearold son and his girlfriend were on the ferry, criticised the search and rescue operation as slow and insufficient. Millions of questions keep me from sleeping, said Suwarni, who uses one name, between desperate sobs. What kind of govern ment is this that cant protect their own people from unnecessary accidents? And after the accident theyre not able to find the victims. I beg help to everyone to quickly find my son and his girlfriend, even if their remains, please find my son, return him to me. Several dozen divers were searching at depths of up to 50 metres, and an underwater drone was deployed to 200 metres below the surface, Mr Syaugi said. More sophisticated underwater search methods require large ships that arent available on the lake, he said. The 1145sq km Lake Toba, formed out of an ancient super volcano, is a popular sightseeing destination on the island of Sumatra. Ferry tragedies are common in Indonesia. Reliability &Honesty Dan Campbell 0477 550 818 firstname.lastname@example.org Darwin 8941 8941 rh.com.au/darwin Contact me for all your real estate needs. Dan&Darwin Sales Consultant