Territory Stories

The Northern Territory Manual for Council Staff working with Rates and Charges



The Northern Territory Manual for Council Staff working with Rates and Charges


Department of Housing and Community Development newsletters; E-Journals; PublicationNT




Made available via the Publications (Legal Deposit) Act 2004 (NT).; This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.


Illustrations by Shane Stringer




Public Housing -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals; Housing subsidies -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals; Residential development -- Northern Territory -- Periodicals

Publisher name

Department of Housing and Community Development

Place of publication


Copyright owner

Check within Publication or with content Publisher.

Parent handle


Citation address


Page content

dhcd.nt.gov.au Page 32 of 35 March 2017, version 12 should be advised in writing of the change to the balance of the rates account as soon as practicable. It is recommended that Council have a policy about rate refunds. The policy could provide direction for staff for formal approved treatment of rate refunds. Privacy and complaints What information about rates is public Section 152(4) of the LGA states that a copy of the assessment record must be available for inspection, free of charge, by any member of the public at the councils public office. What is confidential Section 152(5) of the LGA states that the CEO must, at the request of a person to whom an entry in the assessment record relates, suppress the persons name or address (or both) from the publicly accessible copy of the record. Who can ask for what Any member of the public can inspect a copy of an assesssment record (see section 152(4) of the LGA). A person to whom an entry in the assessment record relates can request that the CEO suppress the persons name or address or both (see section 152(5) of the LGA). Complaints about rates / Correcting the assessment record If a ratepayer thinks they have been charged the wrong amount of rates, in effect they are saying that the assessment record is incorrect, the rates declaration has been incorrectly applied, or the rates declaration is not valid. The complaint should be examined to identify what the issue is. First check with the ratepayer that the details in the assessment record are correct. A person who disagrees with what is in the assessment record can apply to the council for a correction to be made. The application should be in writing, state the applicants interest in the allotment and the correction that needs to be made (see section 154(3) of the LGA). Application for correction of the assessment record can be made on one or more of the following grounds (see section 154(2) of the LGA): (a) the entry wrongly classifies an allotment that is non-rateable as rateable land; (b) the entry should, but does not, classify an allotment as urban farm land;

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.