Territory Stories

Coroners Act In the matter of Coronial Findings and Recommendation into the Death of Ms Souzana Afianos pursuant to section 46B dated 1 January 2004



Coroners Act In the matter of Coronial Findings and Recommendation into the Death of Ms Souzana Afianos pursuant to section 46B dated 1 January 2004

Other title

Tabled paper 1394


Tabled Papers for 9th Assembly 2001 - 2005; Tabled Papers; ParliamentNT






Made available by the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory under Standing Order 240. Where copyright subsists with a third party it remains with the original owner and permission may be required to reuse the material.




Tabled papers

File type




Copyright owner

See publication



Parent handle


Citation address


Page content

became an issue which had to be explored given that it presented another means by which air may have found its way into the band. 59. In the course of his evidence Dr Treacy explained the checks conducted on the band before it is introduced into the body. He said he checks it during the course of the operation and before it is introduced into the abdomen by inflating it with a saline solution and entirely immersing it in fluid. This is to ensure there are no leaks. He then deflates the band and sucks all air out of the band using a needle and a syringe. 60. Dr Treacy confirmed that bleeding is a surgical risk in general terms but was not any greater a risk in this operation. He said that the Deceaseds surgery was normal and uneventful. Particularly, no abnormal bleeding was noted during the procedure and he noted good haemostasis at the conclusion of the procedure i.e., all operative bleeding had stopped. 61. He confirmed that the surgery on the Deceased and her post operative care was uneventful. He saw her daily until her discharge on 17 February 2002. He gave evidence of the arrangements he made with the Deceased on discharge. As she was discharged on a Sunday, he could not give her a set appointment time so it was left on the basis that he would call her, or vice versa, to arrange an appointment for the Wednesday. 6 2 . He said that he had been unaware of the Deceaseds attendance at Accident & Emergency in the early morning of Monday 18 February 2002 and of her discomfort at that time. He said that his first contact with the Deceased after the discharge was on 20 February 2002 by telephone. He said that he could not recall the precise contents or sequence of the phone call however he recalled: 1. That she had been to the Accident & Emergency Department at Royal Darwin Hospital. 25

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.