Territory Stories

Debates Day 2 - Wednesday 1 May 1991

Details:

Title

Debates Day 2 - Wednesday 1 May 1991

Other title

Parliamentary Record 3

Collection

Debates for 6th Assembly 1990 - 1994; ParliamentNT; Parliamentary Record; 6th Assembly 1990 - 1994

Date

1991-05-01

Notes

Made available by the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory

Language

English

Subject

Debates

Publisher name

Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Attribution International 4.0 (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright owner

Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory

License

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/279515

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/418775

Page content

DEBATES - Wednesday 1 May 1991 Deputy Opposition Leader, John Bailey, said today that Education Minister, Shane Stone, revealed the government's previously hidden school cutting program at a public meeting at Wagaman last night. The minister told the meeting of parents and concerned community members that the government was looking at closing 15 schools. People were shocked by the arrogant way the minister approached the topic and it gave many of them an understanding of the way this government plans to treat Territorians during this term of the CLP government. I know the minister very well. On that particular occasion, he was more relaxed and laid back than I have seen him on many a previous occasion. For the member for Wanguri to accuse the minister of adopting an arrogant approach to that particular meeting is absolute nonsense. It is misinformation and misrepresentation. Probably more than any other member opposite, the member for Wanguri has become expert at doing that out there in the northern suburbs. Mr Bailey: At least I get my figures right, which is much more than you have ever done. Mr SETTER: The press release ended by saying: 'The minister has confirmed the arrogance of this government with his behaviour at Wagaman School last night1. I can tell you, Mr Speaker, that the Wagaman School community was appalled by that press release, but the matter did not end there. The very next morning, the honourable member faced a television camera right in front of the Wagaman Primary School, in an effort to gain some political advantage as Deputy Leader of the Opposition and to embarrass the government. He was simply attempting to use the Wagaman school community to suit his own political ends. I can tell him that people are less than impressed about that. Mr Bailey: You should hear what they say about you, Rick. Mr SETTER: I would be interested. You will have to tell me. About a week ago, I went to a subsequent meeting of the Wagaman Primary School Council. In fact, I attend almost every school council meeting held in my electorate. The member for Wanguri turned up again, and rightly so, because 25% of the suburb of Wagaman is in his electorate. I have the other 75%. He turned up 30 minutes after the meeting had started and listened for a while. By then, the announcement had been made that it was proposed that Wagaman Preschool be incorporated into the primary school buildings. Naturally, the preschool parents and the preschool teacher were concerned about that and a discussion was under way. I was absolutely aghast to hear the member for Wanguri try to politicise that meeting. He started to run off at the mouth about government involvement in the Sheratons and Yulara and CLP government mismanagement. We have heard it all before a thousand times. Mr Ede: It is true. Mr SETTER: It is not true at all, Mr Speaker. Once again, the member for Wanguri attempted to use the school community of Wagaman to suit his own political ends. I had to put the member for Wanguri in his place. I told him that it was totally inappropriate for him 816


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.