Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 11 Sep 2017

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 11 Sep 2017

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2017-09-11

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/278383

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/422493

Page content

12 WORLD MONDAY SEPTEMBER 11 2017 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 MONSTER STORMS DEVASTATING TWIST The effects of Hurricane Irma are felt in Miami (main), Tampa residents check in to a refuge (below) and destruction at Saint Martin, an island in the Caribbean (bottom) HURRICANE Irma has caught millions off guard in the US state of Florida by swinging towards the city of Tampa, which has not taken a direct hit from a major storm in almost a century. Irma is expected to wreak havoc this morning, with wind gusts up to 241km/h and creating a storm surge of about 4.6m. The new track will subject Tampa not Miami as previously predicted to the worst fury. Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said: It is not looking good for us. Florida Governor Rick Scott imposed a curfew between 7pm and 7am in Miami to stop opportunistic looters taking advantage of abandoned homes and shops. The ferocious winds started lashing the coast last night and more than 75,000 packed into shelters yesterday in the biggest mass evacuation in US history. Seven million were told to leave their homes as 36 million Americans were placed under a hurricane warning. Some chose to ignore the evacuation order while others missed a narrow window to flee after the storm changed course over the weekend to put low-lying westcoast cities of Naples, Fort Myers and Tampa in its crosshairs. Tampa has not been struck by a major hurricane since 1921, when its population was about 10,000, National Hurricane Centre spokesman Dennis Feltgen said. Now the area has around three million people. The new course threatens everything from Tampa Bays bustling twin cities of Tampa and St Petersburg to Naples mansion- and yacht-lined canals, Sun City Centres retirement homes and Sanibel Islands shell-filled beaches. Although Irmas progress slowed yesterday to 9.6km/h, it remains one of the biggest Atlantic hurricanes in history and is twice the width of Florida. If you have been ordered to evacuate, you need to leave now. This is your last chance to make a good decision, Governor Scott said yesterday. This is a deadly storm and our state has never seen anything like it. He warned anyone who ignored mandatory evacuation orders would likely not survive. Among hundreds who elected to stay out the storm was Key Largo car detailer Phillip Hodes father Mike, who remained at home despite his familys urgings for him to leave with them. My dads staying down in the Keys. I guess hes crazy. They live in a nice concrete house and its got impact windows and doors to hopefully keep him safe, said Mr Hodes, 24, who is packed into an Orlando hotel room with his mum, dog Rascal and six others. SARAH BLAKE in Orlando 241km/h maximum wind gusts near its core 25 dead in Caribbean trail of destruction 36 million people now under hurricane watch 4.6m storm surge expected 75,000 Floridians take refuge at over 400 shelters NATURES FURY HURRICANE IRMA BY THE NUMBERS New track catches millions off guard as Irma descends on Florida YOUTUBE has cut off access to a state-run North Korean propaganda channel, as the US seeks to impose tougher sanctions following Pyongyangs recent nuclear and missile tests. The shutdown of Uriminzokkiri, which regularly posted video footage boasting of the Norths nuclear and missile programs and others praising the Norths leader Kim Jongun, was confirmed overnight. This account has been terminated for violating YouTubes community guidelines, said the video sharing website. YouTube gives no details on reasons why particular accounts are closed down, or for how long. But advertising revenue generated by the accounts could violate US trade sanctions. Academics use official footage from the channels of missile launches and visits to factories by Kim to gain rare insights into the progress of the countrys weapons programs. Tracking and digitally reconstructing events is going to be more difficult as these accounts get deleted, Scott Lafoy, a Washington-based satellite imagery analyst, told NK News. The channel serves various propaganda purposes for North Korea. Uriminzokkiris social media accounts remained active over the weekend. YouTube blow to North Korea RELIEF supplies and clean-up crews have begun arriving in earnest in southern Mexico, two days after a devastating earthquake killed 37 in the city of Juchitan more than half the nationwide total. Government cargo planes delivered supplies and the military began distributing boxes of food, though many residents of this city in a region of Oaxaca state known as the Isthmus complained that progress was slow. Teams of soldiers and federal police armed with shovels and sledgehammers fanned out to assist in demolition of damaged buildings. Dump trucks choked some narrow streets as they began hauling away the many tons of rubble. Work by residents to clear the streets that held their collapsed homes on Saturday was slowed by aftershocks throughout the day. The 8.1 magnitude earthquake claimed 65 lives in Mexico, but nowhere more than Juchitan. There were so many deaths that slow-moving funeral processions caused temporary gridlock at intersections as they converged on the citys cemeteries from all directions. Scenes of mourning were repeated over and over again in Juchitan, where a third of the citys homes collapsed or were uninhabitable, President Enrique Pena Nieto said late on Friday. Part of the city hall collapsed. Clean-up begins after earthquake