Territory Stories

Budget 2013/14 Northern Territory Economy

Details:

Title

Budget 2013/14 Northern Territory Economy

Other title

Tabled paper 295

Collection

Tabled papers for 12th Assembly 2012 - 2016; Tabled papers; ParliamentNT

Date

2013-05-14

Description

Tabled by David Tollner

Notes

Made available by the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory under Standing Order 240. Where copyright subsists with a third party it remains with the original owner and permission may be required to reuse the material.

Language

English

Subject

Tabled papers

Publisher name

Department of the Treasury and Finance

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright

Copyright owner

See publication

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00866

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/273751

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/426369

Page content

80 Retail and Wholesale Trade 2013-14 Budget clothing, footwear and personal accessories; and other retailing (including department stores). The ABS does not report international online retail data, while domestic online sales are incorporated into shop front sales or, in the absence of a physical shop front, in the other retailing category. Domestic online sales are attributed to the state in which the online retailer is based, regardless of where the buyer of the goods resides. This means that, due to the relatively low number of Territorybased online retailers, published retail trade data does not provide a complete representation of the level of spending on retail goods by Territorians. In July2012, the Commonwealth announced that, from November2013, the ABS will report national domestic online sales data on a monthly basis, while data for online purchases from international retailers will be published annually based on data provided by AustraliaPost and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service. However, it is expected that this data will not be available at a state/territory level. Wholesale trade is the sale of new or used goods to businesses and institutional users, with the exception of government users, as government transactions are final. The Territory has a relatively small wholesale sector, with activity mainly in industrial storage and equipment, transport and food wholesaling. The ABS does not publish disaggregated data on wholesale trade by jurisdiction. Territory consumers generally spend a higher than average proportion of disposable income in most of the retail subcategories reported by the ABS due to the Territorys remoteness from major production centres, which results in relatively high freight costs and higher retail prices. Limited competition in the Territorys retail sector also contributes to higher prices. Contribution to the Economy In 201112, retail and wholesale trade accounted for 4.8percent of the Territorys gross state product (GSP). Of this proportion, retail trade accounted for 3.3percentage points while 1.5percentage points were attributed to wholesale trade. Over the same period, retail trades proportion of Australias gross domestic product (GDP) was 4.5per cent and wholesales was 4.3percent, with the two sectors combined accounting for 8.8percent of GDP. Compared with other jurisdictions, the Territorys wholesale sector contributes notably less to GSP (Chart 7.1). This is due mainly to the remoteness and small population of Territory centres, which tend to be unfavourable for many wholesale activities. As a result, a substantial amount of wholesale activity occurs interstate, with goods sourced directly from interstate suppliers.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.