The Northern Territory news Tue 25 Apr 2017
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
TUESDAY APRIL 25 2017 WORLD 09 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA The hammer throw is an Olympic event and one of four throwing events in athletics competition. The hammer is a metal ball attached by a steel wire to a grip. The ball weighs 7kg in mens competitions and 4kg in womens competition. The teen from Ohio was treated at the scene and rushed by ambulance to the nearby Good Samaritan Hospital, at Downers Grove, where he was pronounced dead. Mr Bridges said a decision to add new checks would be made independent of the New Zealand Government by the aviation authority. On March 25, the US banned electronic devices larger than a mobile phone from passenger cabins of direct flights from eight countries in the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey, including Qatar and the UAE. Britain followed the same day with similar measures, including banning larger electronics on flights from some Middle East countries but not Qatar and the UAE, where it instead requested additional security checks. Teenager killed in freak hammer throw accident CHICAGO: A US college student has died in a freak accident during an athletics competition when he was struck during a hammer throw. Ethan Roser, 19, (pictured) was killed while volunteering at a track and field competition at Wheaton College, in Illinois, about 30km outside of Chicago, at the weekend. Mr Roser was accidentally struck with the hammer during competition on Saturday afternoon local time. At 71, Harry still keen to be seen in the flesh LONDON: At 71, you might think Debbie Harrys days as a sex symbol are long behind her. But it seems the Blondie star, who swears by plastic surgery, has lost none of her confidence, declaring she would still go on stage naked. The popular performer (pictured), known in the 1970s for her skimpy outfits, said she would behave just as she did in her younger days if given the chance. I always used to tear my clothes off, she told the UKs Sunday Times Magazine. Would I be naked on stage all the time now? Probably. It might horrify everyone but She conceded her ageing body would not let her perform as she used to, adding: I wanna ... do flips and bang around on my knees, but I know I might have a hard time getting back up. Its such a drag. Her revealing comments come ahead of the release of Blondies 11th studio album Pollinator next month. NZ considers extra security layer on Middle East flights WELLINGTON: New Zealand is considering additional security checks on flights from Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East. The new rules would follow similar measures introduced last month by the US, Britain and Australia. The Civil Aviation Authority is assessing the evidence to determine what is appropriate, NZ Transport Minister Simon Bridges said. The additional security measures would affect passengers flying from Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, and Doha and Qatar. Carriers Emirates and Qatar Airways fly direct to New Zealand. FRENCH VOTERS REVOLT French presidential candidates Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen (inset) acknowledge supporters Pictures: AFP/ Getty Political outsiders set to do battle for presidency FRENCH voters have turned their backs on mainstream politics, voting for two political outsiders to contest the final round of the presidential election. Far-Right National Front leader Marine Le Pen and centrist independent Emmanuel Macron will now do battle on May 7 after seeing off challenges from more experienced politicians. With almost 96 per cent of the vote counted yesterday, Mr Macron was polling about 23.9 per cent with Ms Le Pen just behind on about 21.4 per cent. That was enough to see off hard-Left candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon and former prime minister Francois Fillon, who each polled slightly above 19 per cent. For the first time in more than 60 years, no Socialist or Republican candidate made it through to the final round. Mr Macrons supporters were ecstatic when he addressed them in Paris, saying We did it. The two political parties that have governed France for years have been discarded, he said. The fight between the charismatic 39-year-old centre-Left Mr Macron, and the firebrand Ms Le Pen, 48, mirrors that of 2002, when her father, far Right figurehead Jean-Marie Le Pen, made it through to the second round against Jacques Chirac. Although both candidates were virtually level after the first round, more than 80 per cent swung be hind the more centrist Mr Chirac when the second vote rolled around. Mr Macron, who quit as economics minister in the Socialist government to form his own political movement, En Marche! (Onwards!) last year, is a firm favourite to now lead the French republic. This would be a huge relief to panicked European leaders, with Ms Le Pen, dubbed Madame Frexit, preparing to take Britains lead and take France out of both the euro zone and the European Union if she claims victory. Her strident rhetoric, which includes an anti-Islam policy and taking back control of Frances borders, underlines the strength of the same anti-establishment vote that helped propel Donald Trump to victory in the US, and saw Britain vote to leave the EU in a referendum last July. I am the peoples candidate, she told a supporters gathering in the town of Henin-Beaumont in northern France yesterday. Either we continue to disintegrate without any borders, without any controls, unfair internat i o n a l competition, mass immigration and the free circulation of terrorists, or you choose France with borders. Ellen Whinnett in PARIS South and allies brace for more from NK SEOUL: Fresh off an immense North Korean parade that revealed an arsenal of intercontinental ballistic missiles, rival South Korea and its allies are bracing for the possibility that Pyongyangs follow-up act will be even bigger. North Korea often marks significant dates by displaying military capability, and South Korean officials say theres a chance the country will conduct its sixth nuclear test or its maiden test launch of an ICBM around the founding anniversary of its military today. Such moves could test the developing North Korea policies of President Donald Trump, who has reportedly settled on a strategy that emphasizes increasing pressure on Pyongyang with the help of China, North Koreas only major ally, instead of military options or trying to overthrow the Norths government. Trump spoke by phone with both the Japanese and Chinese leaders yesterday. Chinas official broadcaster CCTV quoted President Xi Jinping telling Trump China strongly opposed North Koreas nuclear weapons program and hoped all parties will exercise restraint and avoid aggravating the situation. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Trump agreed to urge North Korea to refrain from what Abe called provocative actions. The North Korean nuclear and missile problem is an extremely serious security threat to not only the international community but also our country, the Japanese leader told reporters in Tokyo. Recent US commercial satellite images indicate increased activity around North Koreas nuclear test site, and thirdgeneration dictator Kim Jong Un has said that the countrys preparation for an ICBM launch is in its final stage. Seouls Defense Ministry has said the North appears ready to conduct such strategic provocations at any time.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au