Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 18 Nov 2016

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 18 Nov 2016

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2016-11-18

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/265290

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/460807

Page content

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18 2016 NEWS 09 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA LE Dner en Blanc the famous pop-up picnic is set to hit Darwin. The dinner, which requires participants to dress in white, bring their own white tableware and table, chairs and a gourmet dinner for two, began in Paris nearly 30 years ago. Clare Dickson, of Parap, has signed up for the Darwin event. Its bringing something exciting, dynamic and new to Darwin and its exciting to meet new people on the day, she said. Stuart Park resident Jess Schmidt said she was keen to meet other foodies. I think its a really great opportunity to eat some great food, drink some nice wine and mingle with other foodies, she said. One of the organisers, Anisha Stitfold, said the event had been earmarked for May but the location would remain secret until two hours, in keeping with the strict franchise rules. Darwins got all the ingredients for this event its got amazing outdoor locations, she said. They are expecting around 700 people to register for the event. To find out more head to http://darwin.dinerenblanc.info/Clare Dickson and Jess Schmidt are looking forward to attending Diner en Blanc's Darwin premiere in 2017 Picture: IVAN RACHMAN THE ugly wounds of the Country Liberals September Territory election slaughter will be laid bare at this weekends conference in Darwin. It will be the memberships first chance to vent their feelings as a group about the crushing election wipe-out. Around 120 members, many still angry and shellshocked from the humiliating Dinners White out there JUDITH AISTHORPE first term loss, are expecting a weekend of soul searching and reflection on four years of government remembered only for its scandals and self-destructive behaviour. How much bloodletting will take place remains to be seen given the Party president has resigned and there are only two members in the Parlia mentary team remaining from the 16 who swept to power in August 2012. Interest will focus on the likely election of former Chief Minister Shane Stone as the Country Liberals president. Mr Stone, a former national Liberal Party president, lawyer and successful businessman took the Country Liberals to an 18-seat majority in 1997. Supporters are pinning their hopes on him galvanising the Country Liberals into a creditable alternative political party once again. Mr Stone confirmed his intention to run for the Country Liberals presidency if nominated. He said the weekend should not be about retri bution. It would be better for people to make a submission to the election review that is underway, Mr Stone said. Any good we achieved was destroyed by poor behaviour and ill-discipline. We know why we lost. Now we need to understand how to win. Mr Stone said he was encouraged by the fact 260 peo ple had indicated they would be at tonights opening function of the two-day conference. We need to demonstrate to all those observing and attending that the Country Liberals are here to stay, he said. We also need to look to a more youthful profile among our management committee ... the partys future belongs to younger people. It is going to be a long hard slog. CLP leadership on line Former Chief Minister Stone in line to take party reinsGARY SHIPWAY Petition bid for vouchers CLP Opposition Leader Gary Higgins has called on Territorians to sign a petition to bring back the $2000 home improvement voucher scheme that Labor replaced last month. Mr Higgins said the CLP voucher scheme, which saw Territorians claim up to $2000 in a matching grant towards home improvements, stimulated the economy better than Labors new first home grant which gives up to $10,000 for homeowners to upgrade existing homes. I encourage homeowners and tradies to sign the petition and urge the Labor Government to reinstate the home improvement scheme, Mr Higgins said. Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the $10,000 given to first home buyers on top of stamp duty relief was better targeted toward Territorians who need it most. This will keep Territorians in the Territory, he said. We believe the best thing we can do for local business right now, is stop population decrease. Labor honoured the previous home improvement grants until September 30. The petition is available at www.actionnetwork.org CHRISTOPHER WALSH Shop 4, 64 Smith Street, Darwin I Phone: 08 8981 9120 www.manolisgreektaverna.com.au OPENING HOURS: Lunch 11:30am - 2pm Tues to Fri Dinner 6pm - Late Tues to Sat When you take great Greek food, and the famous Kalymnian spirit and add it to sultry Darwin, you get Northern Territorys hottest Greek experience at Manolis Greek Taverna in Darwin.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.