Territory Stories

Sunday Territorian 12 Jun 2016

Details:

Title

Sunday Territorian 12 Jun 2016

Collection

Sunday Territorian; NewspaperNT

Date

2016-06-12

Notes

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/262721

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/477807

Page content

SUNDAY JUNE 12 2016 HEALTH FRONTIER 41 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA 117 THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: b+s 3 T H I S W E E K S To do list IF YOU CAN ONLY TICK OFF ONE OF THESE, YOUR E A L IT TLE CLOSER TO L IV ING A HE ALTHIER L IFE Stop this G O I N G G L U T E N - F R E E Unless youre among the one-in-70 Aussies with coeliac disease, that is. Gluten-free foods are often higher in fat and sugar than the gluten-packed varieties, and they can also be missing essential B vitamins, folate and iron. Try this E Y E Y O G A Its not just your abs, butt and thighs that need strengthening. The six muscles that move your eyeballs do too, and thats where eye yoga comes in. The on-trend practice helps with dryness, strain and itchiness. Go on, Google it. Swap this B R I G H T L I G H T S ...for mood lighting in the evenings, if youre keen to boost your metabolism. And yes, that includes your tech. Being in a brightly lit environment causes blood sugar levels to spike, which can mean weight gain and increased body fat, a US study has found. Yikes! Listen to this J T S L A T E S T T U N E With positive vibes rivalling Pharrells Happy, the latest track from Justin Timberlake is our new feel-good anthem. We dare you to crank Cant Stop the Feeling and try not to bust a kJ-burning move. The vids also a must. SOURCE: Censuswide 117 How many days the average person spends having sex in their lifetime, according to a new study of nine countries around the world. We spend much more of our lives 180 days getting sweaty through exercise. B E A U T Y Sorry, selfie-lovers, youre not that hot The more partial you are to taking a selfie, the better looking and more likeable you think you are. Sadly, not everyone agrees with your rating, researchers at the University of Toronto in Canada say. Whats worse, instead of being seen as the super-friendly babes that selfie-lovers think they are, outsiders view them as narcissistic. @jennifer.lovinglife What a sunrise! 10km run/ walk mainly walk. #spectacular WHAT YOUVE BEEN UP TO Its great to see that the cooler weather hasnt frozen your desire to be fit and healthy. Tag @bodyandsoul_au and #myhealthyweekend on Instagram and you could be in our next issue. @coral_jean Weekend creations! Raw caramel slice! #eatclean #wellness #balance @philippa_ gardiner Tough Mudder a good challenge but so much fun. I definitely look way too clean in this photo! THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. A C T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: THE b+s TEAM Editor Fiona Baker Deputy editor Lizza Gebilagin Chief sub-editor Nick Hadley Features writer Rosie King Art director Barry Goodwin Designer Ingrid Sant Editorial assistant Brianna Scully Contact us (02) 8045 4814, feedback@bodyandsoul.com.au Advertising enquiries (02) 8114 7407 Our cover Robin Sellick To city folk, the bush can seem a mythical place of dinkum Aussies, sweeping plains and far horizons. Sitting in peak-hour traffic, we plan tree-changes so our offspring can run free while we make bread in our country kitchen. And maybe theres some of that, but the reality when it comes to health in Australias vast rural areas is harsh. Lack of access to services, information, emergency care, even fresh and nutritious food, means the physical and mental health of our country cousins is suffering. The data is damning. Our features writer Rosie King has pulled together a brilliant report on the devastation thats happening health-wise out bush (page 4), showing that its time more attention and resources are directed to rural and provincial centres. There happpens to be a superior breed of busy human walking among us, albeit in small numbers. Introducing the super-taskers. That is, the 2 per cent of the population who can do a lot of different tasks at the same time and do them well. Unlike the remaining 98 per cent, who can do two, three or even four things at the same time but do them all rather badly. According to YouTubes BrainCraft, super-taskers can perfectly mix attention, memory and concentration, making them masters of multi-tasking. In fact, experts believe theyre better at jobs when they do them simultaneously. A well-known super-tasker is Lauren Moore, who can balance 15 books on her head while reciting pi to 100 digits and solving a Rubiks Cube. Think you have the gene? Try the Dual N-back test online (brainscale.net). F I T N E S S / N U T R I T I O N / H E A L T H / B E A U T Y / O N T R E N D / F A C T S HealthHQ F A C T S DO YOU HAVE THE SUPER-TASKER GENE? 2 b+s F RO M T H E E D I TO R F I O N A B A K E R bodyandsoul_aubody+soul @bodyandsoul_au THEY SAID WHAT? SOURCE: LG Low Battery Anxiety Survey 90% How many of us suffer from lowbattery anxiety, the sense of panic that comes when our phone power dips below 20 per cent. 1 in 2 How many cancer deaths could be avoided if we adopted a healthy lifestyle, including quitting smoking and doing exercise. Im crazy for almond milk. I cant figure out if its an entire meal, a dessert, if its thin and refreshing or thick like a milkshake. AC T R E S S A N D ST Y L E I C O N S A R A H J E S S I C A PA R K E R on her current foodie fetish SOURCE: JAMA Oncology N U T R I T I O N Beat a bad diet with a glass of pinot Scientists at Georgetown University in the US are to thank for this one. They studied the effects of red wines super-ingredient, resveratrol, on chimps and discovered it can undo the damage caused to our muscles by a high-fat, high-sugar diet (just dont overdo the vino). F I T N E S S A little running can go a long way If you watch your diet, pumping just 5km of pavement per week will get those pesky pounds moving, researchers from Aarhus University in Denmark say. No marathons required. FOR MORE HEALTH & LIFESTYLE ADVICE Every Sunday morning tune into: How many days the average person spends having sex in their lifetime, according to a new study of nine countries around the world. We spend much more of our lives 180 days getting sweaty through exercise.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.