Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 23 Oct 2015

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 23 Oct 2015

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2015-10-23

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/258690

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/501306

Page content

14 WORLD FRIDAY OCTOBER 23 2015 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Smogs driving us hazy A resident fishes by the river in Indonesias Palangkaraya, one of the cities worst-hit by haze in central Kalimantan province BANGKOK: Dense haze produced by Indonesian forest fires has caused some of the worst pollution levels in southern Thailand in a decade, officials said yesterday, delaying flights in an area popular with tourists. For nearly two months, thousands of fires caused by slash-and-burn farming have suffocated vast expanses of South-East Asia, causing rates of respiratory illnesses to soar, schools to close, and scores of flights and some international events to be cancelled. Thailand usually avoids the worst effects of Indonesias fires, which annually blight Malaysia and Singapore. But in recent weeks winds have brought the smog further north, stoking tensions and creating a headache for the countrys vital tourism industry. Thai officials yesterday said air quality had dipped to unhealthy levels in seven southern provinces, with particularly high readings in southwestern Songkhla province where some flights have been delayed or turned back. Typhoon toll up as floodwaters rise MANILA: The death toll from a ferocious typhoon in the Philippines climbed to 54 yesterday, as home-wrecking floods shifted downstream to coastal villages, displacing tens of thousands of residents. Inundations from torrential weekend rains in mountain regions caused by Typhoon Koppu cascaded into coastal fishing and farming villages, submerging them in waters up to 3m deep, officials said. Residents of Bulacan and Pampanga province, about two hours drive from the capital Manila, fled by foot to evacu ation centres as the waters rose quickly overnight, aggravated by a high tide, they said. Koppu, the second strongest typhoon to hit the country this year, then crawled over parts of Luzon for three days, bringing torrential rains that triggered slides and flooding. WikiLeaks publish emails of CIA boss NEW YORK: The CIA has accused WikiLeaks of malicious intent after the anti-secrecy campaign group published documents it said were from the personal email account of director John Brennan. The Central Intelligence Agency said so far there was no indication that any classified information was released, but the leak is nevertheless hugely embarrassing for Americas spy chief and WikiLeaks said more files would be published in the coming days. The six files released did not include any top-secret documents. The most revealing document is a draft version of Brennans background check questionnaire from a security clearance application he apparently made in 2008. It lists several of his friends and associates, and a slew of other personal and family details. Travellers slaughtered LAGOS: Twenty people were shot dead by suspected Boko Haram gunmen yesterday on a road outside a village in Nigerias northeast Borno state, local sources said. A large group of Boko Haram gunmen fleeing a military offensive on their camp opened fire on four cars, killing all 20 people inside, a vigilante and a villager said. We received information of an attack by Boko Haram gunmen on four cars near Jingalta village where they shot dead all 20 occupants of the vehicles before setting the cars ablaze, Babakura Kolo, a member of a local vigilante group assisting the military in fighting the Islamist sect in Maiduguri, said. The gunmen were fleeing a military operation against one of their enclaves. The gunmen, who were driving pick-up trucks and motorcycles, then looted and burnt the village, he added. Jibir Hassan, a bus driver who arrived after the gunmen had fled, confirmed the deaths. When we arrived at Jingalta village, we found it smouldering, with everything completely burnt and just outside the village we saw bodies sprawled by the roadside, 20 of them in all, Mr Hassan said. Near the bodies were charred remains of four cars. Boko Haram gunmen regu larly kill travellers they come across and raid villages while fleeing military offensives against their bases, he said. On Monday Boko Haram gunmen killed five travellers and injured another in a nearby village, he said. And last week, suicide bombers slew dozens of people in attacks on Maiduguri, where the radical movement first emerged. The insurgency has claimed at least 17,000 lives since 2009. Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who made the struggle against Boko Haram a priority as soon as he took up office in May, has given the armed forces until the end of the year to crush the Islamist movement. Fleeing Islamist insurgents gun down 20, loot village Biden rules out bid for Presidency WASHINGTON DC: VicePresident Joe Biden said yesterday he would not run for the White House in 2016, ending months of speculation that has stalked Hillary Clintons campaign and threatened Democratic party unity. Pointing to the tyranny of Americas electoral calendar, the two-time presidential hopeful reluctantly relinquished a long-held political dream and in doing so removed a potentially big obstacle to Mrs Clintons nomination. I believe were out of time, the time necessary to mount a winning campaign for the nomination, Mr Biden said in an emotion-tinged statement at the White House. Bidens months of soulsearching and deliberation have coincided with mourning for his late son Beau, who succumbed to brain cancer in May. Theres just over two months until voters in Iowa cast the first ballots of the 2016 primary campaign. Be prepared this cyclone season by picking up your copy of the 2015/16 Cyclone Survival Guide, your complete guide to protecting yourself, your family and your home. In the NT News on FrIday october 30th, 2015. Cyclone Survival Guide Pre-order multiple copies now by calling (08) 8944 9901 M8 45 64


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.