Territory Stories

ALC 15 year strategic plan 2012-2027

Details:

Title

ALC 15 year strategic plan 2012-2027

Creator

Anindilyakwa Land Council

Collection

Anindilyakwa Land Council annual report; Anindilyakwa Land Council strategic plan; Reports; PublicationNT

Date

2012

Notes

Made available via the Publications (Legal Deposit) Act 2004 (NT).

Language

English

Subject

Anindilyakwa Land Council (N.T.) -- Periodicals; Aboriginal Australians -- Northern Territory -- Groote Eylandt -- Periodicals

Publisher name

Anindilyakwa Land Council

Place of publication

Alyangula

Volume

2012-2027

Copyright owner

Anindilyakwa Land Council

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/254602

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/529654

Page content

ALC 15 year Strategic Plan 12. Background Information 145 Milyakburra is usually accessed by air, and has had a sealed airstrip since. Milyakburra has no sealed roads but has a primary school, a community store and a newly incorporated local service provider named LAC. 12.5 A BRIEF MODERN HISTORY OF GROOTE EYLANDT The Anindilyakwa people have inhabited Groote Eylandt in the Gulf of Carpentaria with an unbroken human tradition extending over an estimated 40,000 years. The 14 clans now represented on the Eylandt are therefore among the most ancient and authentic remaining living cultures remaining on earth today. The Anindilyakwa people were brought to Groote Eylandt on a series of songlines which created the land, rivers, animals and people and which named everything pertaining to the region. The language, Anindilyakwa, is spoken by all the clan groups that make up the two moieties on Groote Eylandt. The island also has a rich non-Indigenous history. The first non-traditional visitors were the Macassans who travelled to this region for hundreds of years in search of trepang. The earliest formally recorded visitor was a Dutchman named William Van Coolstrurdt on the ship The Arnhem in 1623. Van Coolstrurdt was followed by Abel Tasman in 1644 and then by Matthew Flinders in 1803 during his circumnavigation of Australia. The first major modern impact on the Anindilyakwa people came from the arrival of the missionaries of the Church Missionary Society (the CMS) in 1916. After frequent visits from the CMS, the Society eventually established a mission at Emerald River in 1921. Subsequent to the flooding effects of a cyclone during the monsoonal season of 1943 and the RAAFs requirements for the use of the airstrip during World War II, the mission was moved inland to what is now known as the Township of Angurugu. The GEMCO mine, established in the 1960s, employs many local Indigenous people and brings a range of economic benefits to the Indigenous residents of the region. In order to complement better support and sustain the economic benefits of the Anindilyakwa people, the ALC established its business arm, the Groote Eylandt and Bickerton Island Enterprises Aboriginal Corporation (GEBIE) in 2001. Groote Eylandt and Bickerton Island is Indigenous-held freehold land and, on 6 June 2006, the Groote archipelago was declared as an Indigenous Protected Area. In March 2012 the NT Government agreed to protect the seas between Groote Eylandt and the mainland from exploration by placing a mining moratorium for a period of three years.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.