Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 17 Nov 2014

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 17 Nov 2014

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2014-11-17

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/254129

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/532687

Page content

MONDAY NOVEMBER 17 2014 WEATHER 39 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Tanami Tiwi Daly Arnhem Carpentaria Gregory Barkly Simpson Lasseter Sunrise Sunset Moonrise Moonset 6:10 am 6:52 pm 2:13 am 2:31 pm Dec 6 Dec 14 Nov 22 Nov 29 Mon Nov 17 Tue Nov 18 Wed Nov 19 Thu Nov 20 Fri Nov 21 Sat Nov 22 Sun Nov 23 Mon Nov 24 1:09am 5.4m 8:35am 3.2m 3:02pm 4.9m 8:25pm 3.6m 2:27am 5.5m 9:36am 2.8m 4:01pm 5.4m 9:40pm 3.4m 3:28am 5.7m 10:19am 2.3m 4:42pm 5.9m 10:34pm 3.1m 4:13am 6.0m 10:56am 1.8m 5:20pm 6.4m 11:16pm 2.9m 4:50am 6.3m 11:32am 1.4m 5:58pm 6.9m 11:53pm 2.7m 5:24am 6.5m 12:05pm 1.0m 6:34pm 7.2m 12:27am 2.5m 5:58am 6.7m 12:40pm 0.8m 7:11pm 7.5m 1:00am 2.4m 6:32am 6.8m 1:13pm 0.6m 7:46pm 7.6m Darwin 25 34 5 Tindal 24 37 0.4 Jabiru 26 38 Nhulunbuy 21 33 Tce Borroloola 22 39 Lajamanu 26 41 Tennant Creek 27 38 Alice Springs 15 22 4 Yulara 16 27 0.2 Location Min Max *Rain Location Min Max *Rain * rainfall 24 hours to 9am yesterday 10001000 992 992 10081008 1016 1009 L 1010 L 1010 L 985L 1024 H 1020H WARNINGS Latest information at www.bom.gov.au/weather Coastal & Land Weather 1300 659 214 Tropical Cyclone 1300 659 211 NORTHERN TERRITORY Slight to medium chance of showers and storms, mainly in the afternoon and evening, over the Tiwi, western Daly, far eastern Carpentaria, southwest Tanami, Lasseter and southwest Simpson Districts. Hot to very hot north of Barrow Creek. Light to moderate northeast to northwest winds north of Elliott. Moderate east to southeast winds to the south, fresh and gusty at times during the day. Fire danger: moderate to high, reaching very high over the southeast Arnhem, Carpentaria and southern Barkly Districts. DARWIN and OUTER DARWIN Hot inland. Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the early morning. The chance of a thunderstorm with gusty winds. Light winds. Min 25 Max 33 Tuesday: Possible shower or storm. Min 25 Max 34 Wednesday: Possible shower or storm. Min 25 Max 34 Thursday: Possible shower or storm. Min 25 Max 34 DARWIN HARBOUR Winds: Variable below 10 knots becoming north to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots in the middle of the day then becoming west to northwesterly about 10 knots in the early afternoon. Seas: Below 1 metre. Swell: Below 0.5 metres. Weather: Partly cloudy. 30% chance of a shower. The chance of a thunderstorm. UV FORECASTS Katherine: 13 (extreme). Tennant Creek: 13 (extreme). Alice Springs: 14 (extreme). Relative Humidity: Darwin 70% (9am) 53% (3pm) Barometer: Darwin (3pm) - 1007.9 hPa Alice Springs (3pm) - 1018.1 hPa Rainfall: 24hr rainfall to 9am 16 November 2014 Nil mm (yesterday) Monthly total to 9am 16 November 2014 34.2 mm Average for month of November 143.7 mm 1 October to 16 November 2014 49.0 mm on 8 rain days Average from 1 October to end of NOVEMBER 213.5 mm November 17, 2014 Commonwealth of Australia 2014 L L LH 992 984 1016 1000 1000 1008 1010 L 1011 L 1010 L 1010 L 1022 H 1018 H Auckland Bangkok Beijing Geneva Hong Kong Jakarta Johannesburg Kuala Lumpur London Los Angeles Manila Moscow New York Singapore Tel Aviv Tokyo rain 18 13 fine 34 26 mist 8 2 rain 9 7 fine 26 21 fine 32 26 rain 19 14 rain 31 24 rain 12 7 fine 21 14 rain 26 24 fine 1 -1 fine 5 1 rain 30 24 fine 25 14 windy 16 10 PROVINCIAL CENTRES Katherine: Hot. Partly cloudy. Max 39 Tuesday: Very hot and mostly sunny. Min 26 Max 41 Tennant Creek: Mostly sunny. Max 39 Tuesday: Hot. Partly cloudy. Min 28 Max 40 Alice Springs: Partly cloudy. Max 31 Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 33 Jabiru: Hot and mostly sunny. Max 40 Tuesday: Very hot and sunny. Min 24 Max 41 Nhulunbuy: Sunny. Max 32 Tuesday: Mostly sunny. Min 21 Max 32 Alyangula: Sunny. Max 33 Tuesday: Sunny. Min 23 Max 31 Borroloola: Hot. Partly cloudy. Max 40 Tuesday: Hot. Possible afternoon storm. Min 25 Max 40 Yulara: Shower or two. Possible storm. Max 25 Tuesday: Shower or two. Possible storm. Min 16 Max 33 Lajamanu: Hot. Possible storm. Max 41 Tuesday: Hot and mostly sunny. Min 25 Max 42 Maningrida: Mostly sunny. Max 34 Tuesday: Mostly sunny. Min 23 Max 34 Pirlangimpi: Very hot. Possible storm. Max 37 Tuesday: Very hot. Afternoon storm. Min 23 Max 37 Wadeye: Possible shower or storm. Max 35 Tuesday: Possible shower or storm. Min 26 Max 36 Yuendumu: Partly cloudy. Max 36 Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 37 DARWIN Sun protection recommended between 8:40am to 4:20pm Maximum UV Index: 13 (extreme) Sunny Mostly sunny Partly cloudy Cloudy Chance shower Shower or two Showers Drizzle, light rain Rain Shower storm Storms Windy Fog Frost Katherine DARWIN Jabiru Nhulunbuy Borroloola Alyangula Tennant Creek Alice Springs 2533 Yulara Wadeye 2337 Pirlangimpi 2132 2233 2540 2535 2539 2440 2739 1825 1831 2541 Lajamanu 2136 Yuendumu Darwin 33 Broome 33 Alice Springs 31 Cairns 33 Hobart 17 Brisbane 30 Sydney 26 Canberra 23 Adelaide 23 Perth 29 Melbourne 20 Google eyes in sky to track illegal fishing boats SYDNEY: Technology giant Google has taken the battle against illegal fishing online, unveiling a tool in Australia on Friday that harnesses satellite data to track thousands of boats in real time. The prototype interactive tool, developed in conjunction with environmental activists SkyTruth and marine advocacy group Oceana, was unveiled at the once-a-decade World Parks Congress in Sydney. It is the latest salvo from environmentalists against illegal fishing, which is estimated by the Global Ocean Commission to cost the world economy up to $US23.5 billion a year. While many of the environmental trends in the ocean can be sobering, the combination of cloud computing and massive data is enabling new tools to visualise, understand and potentially reverse these trends, Brian Sullivan of Googles Earth Outreach and Oceans section said. The tool uses data points from the Automatic Identification System network, which picks up GPS broadcasts of a vessels location to map move ments. The prototype has tracked just over 3000 fishing vessels, with a public tool to be released down the track. SkyTruth said the system, which will only monitor fishing vessels, would make activities usually invisible to the public easily viewable. So much of what happens out on the high seas is invisible, and that has been a huge barrier to understanding and showing the world whats at stake for the ocean, Sky Truths president and founder John Amos said. Satellite data is allowing us to make human interaction with the ocean more transparent than ever before. The Global Ocean Commission, an independent panel launched in February 2013, said evidence showed seas have been fished to dangerously low levels, with 90 per cent of the worlds large fish stocks such as tuna and swordfish already gone. The commission said one of the challenges in tackling illegal fishing was the lack of jurisdiction on the high seas. While the high seas make up 64 per cent of the oceans total surface area, they fall beyond national jurisdictions and suffer from a lack of oversight, the organisation said. The Congress, in Sydney until Wednesday, has drawn thousands of delegates and will set a global agenda for protected areas for the next decade. In an effort to stop illegal fishing, Google and environmental activist groups have unveiled a new online tool to track fishing vessels


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.