Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 10 Oct 2014

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 10 Oct 2014

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2014-10-10

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/253510

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/537623

Page content

FRIDAY OCTOBER 10 2014 NATION 13 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Hoping the worst wont happen is vomit, diarrhoea, blood . she doesnt have any symptoms producing those secretions so therefore her risk of infecting someone else is very, very low. Dr Young said the nurse followed the national protocol for aid workers in West Africa who are treating ebola sufferers by isolating herself for 21 days on arrival at home and taking her temperature twice a day. Shes done everything appropriately, Dr Young said. Ms Kovack is a remote health nurse who travels to isolated communities in the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Cape York and Cocos Islands. She has previously worked for the Red Cross in 2000 in South Sudan and in Sierra Leone in 2002. Dr Young said that if it was confirmed to be ebola, Queensland Health would endeavour to provide Ms Kovack with the best treatment. We will work through what is best for her, this is all then about what is the best treatment that we could give her. Dr Young said given where Ms Kovack had been working there was obviously potential for her to test positive. I am treating it as if it was (ebola) because I dont know how likely it is so there is the potential there, so thats why were treating this so seriously, she said. Im absolutely confident with all of the processes that we have in place and that Cairns Hospital has in place that there is no risk to anyone in that community or any staff in that hospital. Ms Kovacks blood sample will be tested at Forensic and Scientific Services at Coopers Plains, in Brisbanes south. Dr Young praised Ms Kovack for her bravery in West Africa. I think shes an amazing lady to go to Africa and provide that service, she said. From Sierra Leone on September 26, Ms Kovack wrote on Facebook that shed reached a pivotal moment in her career. OK, Big DayHave taken our first bloods from the our first ebola survivor at IFRC treatment centre. Hopefully this 11 year old will be discharged tomorrow if proven ebola free. Scary moment but went smoothly. a pivotal moment for sure in my career xx. On September 30 she posted pictures of herself in the personal protective equipment that aid workers must wear. Before she left for West Africa Ms Kovack revealed she was anxious about the trip. I just think everything Ive done in my career so far has led me to this, she said. Im a humanist at heart and its a big world out there with a lot of issues. People put up their hands because they have an interest in their fellow man, thats why Im going. This latest scare comes after a man was tested for ebola at the Gold Coast hospital when he claimed to be ill after returning from Africa. Brisbane doctor Jenny Stedmon remains in home isolation in south Brisbane after her stint treating ebola patients with the Red Cross. The latest report from the World Health Organisation shows almost 4000 people have died of confirmed, suspected or probable cases of ebola in the current outbreak. First US victim dies: P14 In full protection suit, Australian Red Cross nurse Sue Ellen Kovack working in Kenema, Sierra Leone Picture: KATHERINEMUELLER/IFRC I am treating it as if it was (ebola) because I dont know how likely it is Preacher defends silence SYDNEY: Hillsong Church founder Brian Houston said he did not report child sex abuse allegations against his father to police because the victim was old enough to have made up his own mind. Mr Houston, 60, also denied he had a conflict of interest in being president of the Assemblies Of God (AOG), which was investigating claims against Frank Houston. The Royal Commission into Institutional responses to Child Sexual Abuse has been told that, under AOG rules, as a confessed pedophile, Frank Houston should have been sacked from preaching but instead he was initially only suspended, then allowed to resign. Brian Houston gave evidence yesterday to explain how church elders dealt with the news in late 1999 that Frank Houston, then a high-flying preacher, was a pedophile. He said when he was told his father had abused a young boy 30 years earlier, he had realised it was serious and he had no doubt it was criminal conduct. When asked why he didnt immediately go to police, Mr Houston said: Well, of all the information I was being given by different people was that the man is 35, 36 years of age and if he decides to go to the police, he can, or if anyone else decides to go to the police, they can. Mr Houston said if the victim had been under the age of 18 at that time, he was absolutely certain he would have reported it to the police. He denied that when he spoke to the victim around late 1999 he had accused him of being to blame and tempting his father. My father did some very evil things, he said. Despite another six allegations of child sex abuse coming to light, all from about 30 years earlier, Frank Houston was never charged by police and died, aged 84, in 2004. Brian Houston yesterday Tinder urges caution following rape SYDNEY: Tinder says its deeply saddened a user was sexually assaulted by several men and will co-operate with sex crimes detectives hunting the rapists. The spotlight is on the dat ing app after the pack rape of a New Zealand woman in Sydney at the weekend. Since then police have warned dating app users to exercise caution. A Tinder spokeswoman has said: Like most social platforms, Tinder does not perform criminal background checks on its users. We strongly advise users to practice discretion when making the decision to meet outside of the app.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.