Territory Stories

Sharing the benefits of the $67 million cruise ship industry

Details:

Title

Sharing the benefits of the $67 million cruise ship industry

Member

Tollner, David; Conlan, Matthew

Political affiliation

Country Liberals

Collection

Media Releases for 12th Assembly 2012 - 2016; Media Releases; ParliamentNT

Date

2014-08-13

Notes

Made available by via the Publications (Legal Deposit) Act 2004 (NT)

Language

English

Subject

Shipping; Tourism

Publisher name

Northern Territory Government

File type

application/pdf

Use

Issued as a Media Release

Copyright owner

Northern Territory Government

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/251212

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/548502

Page content

Minister for Tourism, Matt Conlan, said Darwin received 38 cruise ships for the 12 months ending in June this year, most of which visited during the wet season, bringing approximately 60,000 passengers and crew to the Top End. Cruise ships visit Australia during the southern hemisphere summer, which is why the bulk of visits to Darwin occur in the wet season. Its estimated the number of cruise ship visits will increase to 42 this financial year. On average, around 30 per cent of cruise ship passengers participate in organised, pre-booked shore excursions. The remaining 70 per cent of passengers prefer to make their own arrangements, taking independent tours, or shopping in local supermarkets, boutiques, souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants. The cruise guide workshop is just one way that the Northern Territory Government is working to address supply issues related to the tourism industry, ensuring a robust, sustainable tourism sector capable of helping grow the visitor economy in the Northern Territory to $2.2 billion by 2020, Mr Conlan said. Media Contact: Minister Tollner: Jon Taylor 0417 710687 Minister Conlan: Lisa Andrews 0401 579 963


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.