The Northern Territory news Wed 9 Jul 2014
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
16 WORLD WEDNESDAY JULY 9 2014 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Typhoon descends on Japan TOKYO: Japan is bracing for one of its worst storms in years as Typhoon Neoguri heads towards the southern Okinawa island chain, with the national weather agency issuing its highest alert and nearly half a million people urged to take shelter. The top-level warning means a threat to life, as well as the risk of storm surges, landslides and huge damage from the typhoon packing gusts of up to 250km/h. The Japan Meteorological Agency late on Monday issued the alert for Okinawas main island, home to about 1.2 million people, as well as the outlying Miyako islands. Waves could reach as high as 14m, a weather agency official said, as schools across the sprawling archipelago south of Japans main islands were closed while air and sea traffic services ground to a halt. About 6500 Okinawan households had no power early yesterday. There are fears about violent winds, high waves and tides and torrential rain that we have never experienced before, Satoshi Ebihara, the Japanese weather agencys chief forecaster, said. We are in an abnormal situation where serious danger is imminent, he said, advising Okinawans to stay in secure buildings or seek out a safer location if they feared their homes could not withstand the powerful storm. The Kadena Air Force Base, the biggest US Air Force base in the Pacific, on Okinawas main island, has evacuated aircraft as officers stressed Neoguri may be deadly. Authorities have urged about 480,000 people to take shelter in their homes or evacuate to facilities such as community centres and town halls. The rain is becoming heavier as the typhoon approaches, a municipal official of Nanjo said. We have urged residents to evacuate when they see any danger. Malnourished children receive treatment at the Leer Hospital, in South Sudan, with aid agencies warning famine is likely to break out on a massive scale within weeks Picture: AFP JUBA: South Sudan marks its third birthday this week in a state of civil war, carved up along ethnic lines, locked in a cycle of atrocities and on the brink of famine. Despite vast oil reserves and billions in foreign aid, the worlds youngest nation has been classed as a failure most recently by the Fund For Peace, which put South Sudan in the top spot on its Fragile States Index, ahead of Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq. Nearly a fifth of the population has been forced from their homes. Juba has been a divided city since mid-December, when presidential guards loyal to the tribe of President Salva Kiir clashed with troops supporting ousted vice-president Riek Machar the event that triggered the now sevenmonth-old civil war. South Sudan teeters on brink Israel retaliates over rocket fire GAZA CITY: The Israeli air force has launched dozens of raids on the Gaza Strip after huge rocket fire pounded southern Israel, leaving at least 12 people injured. An Israeli army spokesman yesterday confirmed an air operation code-named Protective Edge had been launched, but did not give details. Several houses were targeted in the raids on the southern Gaza Strip, notably in Khan Yunes, witnesses said. Israel had crossed a red line, warned the Ezzedine alQassam Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamist Hamas movement which has its stronghold in Gaza. Thrillseekers in coaster mishap CALIFORNIA: A roller-coaster hit a tree branch at the Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park, dislodging the front car and leaving four people slightly injured and about two dozen others stranded about 6m in the air for hours. The Ninja coaster struck the branch about 5.30pm and stopped, said Michael Pittman, a Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatch supervisor. Televised news reports showed at least one of the cars dangling at an angle. Firefighters and park maintenance workers removed the riders one by one.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au