The Northern Territory news Wed 9 Jul 2014
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
WEDNESDAY JULY 9 2014 NEWS 09 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Rolfs art welcome no more CONVICTED child molester Rolf Harris legacy on the Territory is being rewritten. Murals that were made by Harris, which had once hung in places of prominence across Central Australia, have been covered up. Family-friendly Alice Springs tourism venues the Araluen Cultural Precinct and the School of the Air have blanked out Harris paintings with butchers paper and tape. The murals, which once hung proudly in both locations, were hidden from view after Harris was convicted and sentenced to five years and nine months jail last Friday, for assaulting four young girls. A spokesman for Araluen said that a Harris mural located at the theatre would stay covered up until a more permanent decision was made about its future. The mural is at the back of the theatre away from public view and depicts gum trees that were painted by Rolf Harris during a visit in the 1980s, the spokesman said. Territory music legend Ted Egan, who gave Harris his first No.1 single Two Little Boys during a trip to Arnhem Land in 1969, said he was totally sad dened and bewildered by his former colleagues downfall. He said the decision by the cultural centre to cover up the painting was understandable, and said Harris legacy would now be clouded by whats happened. Egan said what saddened him most was that during his dealings with Harris, he never had any inkling about his dark side or the crimes he had committed. The problem for me is, I had so many positive and ethical experiences with him in both the UK and Australia, he said. Egan said while he was totally on the side of justice being served for the crimes committed by Harris, he said he was still trying to get my head around someone who has achieved so much being a lonely old man in jail. He said Harris was the first entertainer back into Darwin after Cyclone Tracy in 1974, where he performed for a fundraising event. The fallen entertainers Territory legacy began after he toured the region extensively in the 1960s and 70s, painting artworks and playing music in remote communities, as well as filming for his 1970 television program, Rolfs Walkabout. By MATT GARRICK Boy blasted over prang THE mother of an eight-yearold boy is outraged after he collided with a minibus at a busy Palmerston junction and the driver verbally abused him. Dympna Holland said the driver failed to ask if her son was injured or offer help, and instead berated young Verin. Verin was scooting from the skate park to the nearby bus exchange with sister Tahlena, 10, when the incident happened at the corner of Temple Tce and the carpark entrance to Palmerston Shopping Centre about 3.40pm on Friday. Ms Holland has appealed for witnesses to contact police and tell their story. They looked before they crossed the road, she said. He came from the right-hand lane, not the left-hand lane. It came out of nowhere. The driver stopped and got out and (verbally) abused the kids. He didnt ask if the kids were all right. The bus driver has made a statement to police, which says the bus turned left into the carpark and the child struck the side of the minibus. It says he rendered assistance. Anyone with information can contact police on 131 444. Karama bash victim dies THE 54-year-old man bashed in a Karama home last week has died in hospital. A 46-year-old man was charged with assault and appeared in Darwin Magistrates Court yesterday. He was released on bail to appear again on September 3. The incident happened at a Karama home about 7pm on Friday. Police allege the younger man struck the victim on the head and knocked him to the ground. Police said charges before court remained unchanged at this stage and investigations would continue. Guilty escape name, shame IN most workplaces, an employee caught forging a company document to obtain items for personal gain would be sacked and prosecuted. In the Australian Defence Force, such dishonesty generates a loss of rank, a $2000 fine and a severe reprimand. In July 2012 the service chiefs agreed that the results of Courts Martial and Military Magistrate trials should appear in the three service newspapers. The first cases were printed in October 2012 and included a restricted court martial for a Defence member who was charged with inflicting actual bodily harm after igniting a fire that burned two other troops. The member pleaded guilty and received suspended fines totalling $4164. In the bottom corner of a page in the latest edition of Army News, under the heading May Trial Results, the outcome of four prosecutions under the Defence Force Discipline Act are published without names, rank, gender, service or a pack drill. Defence is required to comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988; therefore, an ADF members identity is not divulged, either directly or indirectly, in the publication of trial results, Defence said. According to the May results, one officer pleaded guilty to altering and using a service document and was punished with a reduction in rank, a $2000 fine and a reprimand. A non-commissioned officer was found guilty of prejudicial conduct and reduced in rank. A person of junior rank was fined $2336.35 for failing to comply with a lawful order. The fourth case involved disobeying a lawful command relating to the movement of a service item, resulting in a conviction without punishment and a good behaviour bond. By CONOR BYRNE By IAN McPHEDRAN Verin Holland, 8, was berated by a minibus driver after a collision at Palmerston
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au