The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
14 NATION THURSDAY APRIL 10 2014 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Oh what a feeling of worry for the driver TOYOTA is recalling almost 300,000 cars and utes in Australia alone for faults including a potential airbag failure and seats that may slip forward. Owners of 179,000 HiLux utes built between April 2004 and the end of 2009 and 118,600 Yaris small cars made between June 2005 and May 2010 have been caught up in the global recall of 6.76 million Toyotas. It is the latest in a series of embarrassments for the worlds biggest car maker. The two latest recalls are the fourth and fifth for Toyota Australia over the past four months alone. Last year the car giant issued seven recalls locally and nine in 2012. The latest round of recalls follow Toyota being slugged with a world record $A1.3 billion fine in the US last month for being slow to react to the recall of 3.8 million cars sold there because floor mats could cause the accelerator pedal to stick. The HiLux, Australias topselling ute, is being recalled for a spiral cable that could become damaged by turning the wheel, leading in turn to the failure of the drivers airbag to deploy in an accident. Toyota said in a statement that owners can continue to drive their vehicles but should contact a dealer if the airbag warning light flashes. Affected customers will be notified of the recall by mail at their last known address and asked to make an appointment at an authorised Toyota dealer to have the spiral cable assembly replaced but the mail out will not start until late July. Meanwhile drivers of the popular Yaris hatch and sedan could find themselves sliding into the steering wheel. A spring locking the drivers seat track in position may break if the seat is moved frequently. Toyota said if the vehicle is driven with a broken seat track spring, the seat could move in the event of an accident and may increase the risk of injury. It may also affect the front passenger seat. Replacement parts will be available next month and, as with all recalls, the work will be done free of charge. The latest Toyota recall is one of the biggest campaigns in Australia. In October 2012, Toyota Australia recalled almost 300,000 vehicles from a 7.4 million global batch across six models including the Corolla, Kluger, RAV4, Yaris, Aurion and Camry built between 2006 and 2010. Toyota owners can call the Toyota recall campaign helpline on 1800 643 242. By PAUL POTTINGER and JOSHUA DOWLING Ecstatic winners Chantelle Ford and Steve O'Donnell celebrate after the auction of their unit Picture: DAVID CAIRD THIS is a result nobody saw coming. Steve ODonnell and Chantelle Ford have shocked TV viewers by hammering their more experienced rivals to win The Block: Fans v Faves. The Victorian couple silenced the doubters when their Albert Park Dux apartment sold for a whopping $2.47 million $636,000 above reserve. The pair pocketed an extra $100,000 for their win on a night when the four teams netted a combined total of $2.4265 million believed to be an all-time record for an Australian TV show. Steve, 35, a chimney sweep, and Chantelle, 31, a sales and marketing business owner, have been dating for two years. Wed just hope the apartment would sell, Chantelle says. We didnt dare dream about what wed do (if we won). The first thing were going to do is have a party with our tradies. Steve and Chantelles relationship has come under the microscope in recent times but the couple say they are still very much together. Were closer than ever really, Chantelle says. People say if you can survive The Block you can survive anything. Brad and Dales Apartment 4 was first up for auction and there was fierce bidding between two parties. The pairs reserve was set at $1,802,750 but it wasnt long before bids crossed the $2 million threshold. The apartment sold for $2.31 million. That set the tone for the rest of the auctions where bids came thick and fast and punched through $2 million within seconds. Kyal and Kara, the viewers favourites to win, were in a state of shock after their Apartment 2 was sold for $2.44 million $567,250 above their reserve of $1,872,750. This is truly life changing, were the only words Kyal could utter after the result. New Daniel tribute as Cowan appeals BRISBANE: The day a red rose was named after slain Queensland schoolboy Daniel Morcombe, his killer launched an appeal for release. Lawyers for Brett Peter Cowan say the jury should have never heard his confession to undercover police. The 13-year-old Sunshine Coast boy was abducted in 2003. Cowan led undercover police, masquerading as gangsters, to his burial site at an abandoned sand mine in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. The 44-year-old father of three was last month found guilty of murder and indecent treatment of a child and sentenced to a non-parole period of 20 years. A notice of appeal filed by Bosscher Lawyers shows theyll appeal against Cowans conviction on six points. A South Australian flower wholesaler named a new variety of rose after Daniel yesterday. His parents, Bruce and Denise Morcombe, chose the rose out of six new breeds as the namesake. Teens shopping adventure ends in rape horror SYDNEY: Two teenage girls who skipped school to go shopping were coaxed off a train and allegedly raped in a park in broad daylight. The 16-year-old friends, from western Sydney, were on their way from the Blacktown area to Castle Hill to go shopping. Police say they met three men, aged in their late teens or early 20s, who lured them off the train at Fairfield under the guise of leading them to the correct bus terminal. They made their way to Fairfield Park where, police allege, the girls were sexually assaulted. Baby killers supporters abuse jury over verdict MELBOURNE: Relatives and friends of a man who bludgeoned to death a 10-month-old boy, as he robbed a house, have shouted abuse at the jury that found him guilty. The jury deliberated for five days before finding Harley Hicks, 20, of North Bendigo, guilty of murder, aggravated burglary and two counts of theft amid a robbery spree in the Bendigo suburb of Long Gully early on June 15, 2012. Hicks bashed baby Zayden Veal-Whitting with a homemade baton made of copper wire wrapped in tape. By COLIN VICKERY Block shock as chimney sweep cleans up
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au