The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
THURSDAY APRIL 10 2014 NEWS 15 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Markets erupt in bloodbath ISLAMABAD: A bomb ripped through a fruit and vegetable market on the outskirts of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad yesterday morning, killing at least 18 people and leaving dozens more wounded, officials said. The death toll was likely to rise, according to Dr Aisha Eisani, the spokeswoman for the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences where the dead and wounded were taken. She said that the hospital had received 18 dead bodies and had reports from police that more dead bodies were on the way. The hospital was also treating 50 people who were wounded, Dr Eisani said. The bomb went off as morning shoppers were buying supplies at the market. The blast sent cartons of fruit and vegetables flying, and television footage from the scene showed blood stains on the ground, next to stray shoes and prayer caps. The market is on the outskirts of Islamabad, near a makeshift camp for people displaced from fighting in Pakistans northwest as well as refugees from Afghanistan. Its also next to a supermarket that sells food and household items to the capitals middle class families. The approximately five kilograms (11 pounds) of explosives were hidden in a fruit carton, said a police official, Yasin Malik. While large bombings happen frequently in Pakistani cities such as the northwestern city of Peshawar or the southern port city of Karachi, they are relatively rare in the capital, which is home to diplomats, generals and top government officials. Police and officers from the bomb disposal squad were scanning the area for any more devices. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, and the Pakistani Taliban in a statement emailed to reporters denied responsibility for the attack. The militant group said they were sticking to a pre viously agreed-to ceasefire. The Taliban are currently in negotiations with the Pakistani government to try to resolve years of deadly fighting in the northwest that has killed tens of thousands of people. But attacks like yesterdays have continued even as the peace negotiations have picked up pace, leading to questions about whether the militant group is in full control of various factions that could be behind the attacks. By ASIF SHAHZAD At least 18 dead in Islamabad bombing Bordering on alarming as North Korean troops stare at Tony Abbott Picture: KYM SMITH PM stares West fears in the face KOREA: Tony Abbott shot a steely gaze at the enemy when he came face to face with soldiers from the rogue North Korean state on a visit to Koreas demilitarised zone yesterday. As three North Korean soldiers stared through a window of the blue hut on the border that has split the Korean Peninsula since the war ended in 1953, the PM stiffened his stance, narrowed his eyes and stared right back. While the brinkmanship has become a common feature of visits by western leaders, tensions were genuinely high yesterday among the US and South Korean soldiers as the PM arrived. A US official said that recent escalating hostility including North Korean rocket fire last week had raised the temperature along the border. The edginess was noticeable as the US command escorted Mr Abbott to the Armistice line. Outside, he stood with his back to North Korea as soldiers opposite ran out of their building, raced up to confront his escorts, and came within metres of the PM. It is quite a place, the PM said. This is the most tense border on Earth. On the South Korean side we have freedom, we have justice, we have democracy. On the North Korean side we have an outlaw state which is a threat to world peace. He thanked the estimated 20,000 South Korean and US soldiers guarding the border on the 38th parallel. His visit coincided with the first joint Australian amphibious military exercise with South Korea involving 120 Australian troops. By SIMON BENSON Black box hope raised SEARCH crews have relocated signals, hoped to be from MH370s black box, another two times. Search co-ordinator and retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston has told reporters in Perth the discovery by Australian ship Ocean Shield is further encouraging. The detection yesterday afternoon was held for approximately five minutes and 32 seconds, he said. The detection late last night was held for approximately seven minutes. It takes the number of transmissions detected by Ocean Shield to four. Yesterdays signals will assist in better defining a reduced and much more manageable search area on the ocean floor, he added. But he said authorities are not yet at the point of deploying the autonomous underwater vehicle Blue Fin 21. The better Ocean Shield can define the area, the easier it will be for the autonomous underwater vehicle to subsequently search for aircraft wreckage, he said. We need to visually identify aircraft wreckage before we can confirm with certainty that this is the final resting place of MH370, he argued. Late last week Ocean Shield detected two signals consistent with transmissions from a flight data recorder and a cockpit voice recorder. The first signal continued for two hours, while the second was just 13 minutes. Based on Perth time, the first was found on Saturday, April 5 at 4.45pm, the second was heard on Saturday, April 5 at 9.27pm, the third was detected on Tuesday, April 8 at 4.27pm and the fourth on Tuesday, April 8 at 10.17pm. The Air Chief Marshal said data analysis of the first two detections found they were consistent with the specification and description of a flight data recorder. Italy has familiar problem stopping the boats ROME: Italy has rescued about 4000 immigrants trying to cross the Mediterranean by boat to reach its shores in the past two days, the interior minister said yesterday, calling the crisis increasingly glaring. The landings are non-stop and the emergency is increasingly glaring. Right now two merchant ships are rescuing two boats with 300 and 361 people aboard. It appears theres at least one corpse on board, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano told public radio. Mr Alfano estimated 15,000 migrants had been rescued so far this year. He said between 300,000 and 600,000 mi grants were ready to set off from Libya on the perilous journey, a low estimate which has been confirmed by European Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem. Europe must take the situation in hand. It cannot say that, having given 80 million euros ($110 million) to Frontex, the problem has been resolved, he said, referring to the European Unions border control agency. There are death merchants who profit from this people trafficking and who send out requests for help just 30 to 40 miles after leaving the Libyan coasts, he said. Starts Sat 12th until Mon 14th 10 am to 5 pm daily. Doubletree by Hilton Hotels 116 The Esplanade Darwin. 0407 995 800 - a subsidiary of Lifestyle Furnishing Emporium Pty Ltd. (previously Holiday Inn) Exquisite Persian Woven Art Exhibition 3 days only. This Saturday 12th, Sunday 13th, & Monday 14th April. Pr ice s M ar ke d D ow n to b e s ol d
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au