Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2014-04-10

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/250526

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/555837

Page content

40 SPORT THURSDAY APRIL 10 2014 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Top Hawk swoops in with St Pats young guns A VICTORIAN school with proud links to the NT and a high success rate of AFL draftees has ventured to the Territory this week in search of a cultural experience. Football players from St Patricks College in Ballarat will spend nine days in the Top End conducting clinics in various communities including Jabiru and the Tiwi Islands and play practice matches against Darwin teams. The schools under-16 and under-18 sides took on NT Thunder at TIO Stadium last night, which proved a valuable hit-out for the Territory ahead of their first TAC Cup match this weekend. Hawthorn premiership player Chance Bateman has joined the school on their tour to mentor the students and accompany them on cultural activities. Bateman, 32, said he jumped at the chance to get involved after his employer, Ngarda Civil Mining, had links with St Pats coach Howard Clarke. I thought it was a brilliant concept and just like them, I want to see a bit of the Territory as well, he said. I will integrate myself into the group and just be around the boys, helping out on the sidelines. Anything that gives people a better understanding and a bit more knowledge and education about indigenous people and their communities and the way they live and the dif ferences, will go towards eventually bridging that gap. St Pats currently has 20 graduates now playing in the AFL, including Territorians Jake Neade (Port Adelaide) and Dom Barry (Melbourne). Nine Territory students are currently enrolled at the school. Hawthorn premiership player Chance Bateman trained at TIO Stadium yesterday with players from St Patricks College in Ballarat, Victoria, who are touring the Territory Picture: KATRINA BRIDGEFORD MELBOURNE have opted not to appeal the seven-match ban handed to prop Jordan McLean, but say theyre concerned about ambiguity in the National Rugby Leagues rules around lifting tackles. The Storm said yesterday they wont appeal the suspension that stemmed from a tackle that left Newcastles Alex McKinnon with a career-ending spinal injury last month. Melbourne Storm ... remains steadfast in the belief this was an awful accident, Storm boss Mark Evans said. However, in the interests of player welfare and to assist the game in coming together and focus ing on supporting Alex McKinnon and his family, we wont be appealing the decision. Evans said the Storm supported the current debate around lifting tackles, which he said was necessary given the ambiguity in the NRL rules. The current code conflates lifting tackles with dangerous throws, which is confusing players, coaches, commentators and fans alike, he said. When it comes to the grading of offences, taking injury into account is fine, as long as it is the result of an unambiguous and direct causal relationship between the offence and injury sustained. Aussies on Wisden list TWO of Australias key Ashes performers, Ryan Harris and Chris Rogers, have been named on the list of Wisdens Five Cricketers of the Year. Englands Joe Root, England womens captain Charlotte Edwards and destructive India opener Shikhar Dhawan round out the list. The cricketing bible included the two Australians on the list for their performances in Australia's Ashes loss in England, but had harsh words for Englands form in the return match in Australia only months later. No sporting defeat is a disaster but 5-0 against a team that had won none of its previous nine Tests came close. This, then, was the worst result in Englands history, it said. Wisden also named South African fast bowler Dale Steyn its Leading Cricketer in the World. This year, Steyn took 51 Test wickets in only nine games at an average of 17. Fast, penetrative and parsimonious, it was some combination, Wisden said. Wisden also addressed the games off-field issues, warning that international cricket is set for a future of colonial-style divide and rule, and will be holding its breath over the extent of Indian influence. Storm dropping appeal By JESS WEBSTER FOOTBALL Short NTFL season no-go AFLNT boss Tony Frawley has played down suggestions the 2014-15 NTFL season will be a 16-round competition. Frawley was responding to claims a draft draw had been circulated to clubs with a 16game format included. Theres no draft draw there, Frawley said. All weve asked for is the clubs to put in any queries theyve got for next seasons draw. That (16-game season) wont happen. It will be the same again I would expect. We wont have the draw done until about June. All we want is the clubs thoughts on where they want to play and when. All that sort of stuff that we do every year. (Its) so we know where we are going. Frawley said new board member and former St Marys president and premiership player Shaun Hardy would be managing the formation and release of the 2014-15 draw. The Northern Territory Foot ball League clubs are wary of a shortened season. They have even gone as far as to say the season could develop into a pre-Christmas competition where the 12 rounds would be used as a selection process for Territory Thunders NEAFL squad. But Frawley went back to his playing days last night when he laid a big shirt-front on any plans to run a shortened competition. Nothing will change, well probably go around the same way we did this season with 18 rounds , he said. By GREY MORRIS FOOTBALL Anzac idea gains legs ITS a long shot in a World Cup year but Quade Cooper says rugbys biggest stars would be drawn to playing an Anzacs clash to commemorate the Gallipoli conflict. Moves have started on both sides of the Tasman to celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the shared Gallipoli campaign by joining forces against a Rest of the World XV next year. While theres no logical window in a high-stakes calendar for the potential blockbuster, Wallabies playmaker Cooper says players would have little hesitation putting their hands up for the concept. The idea of that would be a great way to celebrate the Anzacs and what that has done for us as a nation and as people being able to live the lives we do today, the Kiwi-born Queensland five-eighth said. Rugby is something that we love to do ... if that concept was put forward Im sure guys would find some time to play in a game like that. There is plenty of work to be done if a noble pipedream can become a reality, with Queensland Sports Minister Steve Dickson admitting a push from New Zealands Consul-General still meant it was a 66-1 shot.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.