Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 10 Apr 2014

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2014-04-10

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/250526

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/555837

Page content

THURSDAY APRIL 10 2014 NEWS 05 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Drive case: Jurrah to face court FORMER AFL football player Liam Jurrah faces Alice Springs Magistrates Court today on serious driving charges. The 25-year-old is expected to plead guilty to the charges from December last year, which saw him allegedly provoke a high-speed chase when he failed to stop for police after being seen speeding. Jurrahs lawyer, Daniela Tama, told the court in February he would plead guilty at a later date as he was unwell. He looked frail and exhausted when he appeared before the court, with medical tubes attached to his bandaged arm. But the ex-Melbourne AFL player looked much fitter and stronger while playing for the South Roos at TIO Traeger Park Oval in Alice Springs on Saturday. Jurrah told the NT News last month he would like to return to AFL as he attempts to get his life back on track. He said it was going to be a long journey and would take a lot of hard work. Jurrah will face a number of charges today including driving in the NT while disqualified interstate, driving at speed and in a manner that is dangerous, and failing to obey the directions of a police officer. For Territory, Ita may not be such a blighter THE exact path of Tropical Cyclone Ita is still uncertain but parts of northern Australia remain on cyclone watch. While residents in the Top End should be safe from any serious storm activity, weather bureau senior forecaster Ashley Patterson said a moderate outlook remained for the eastern part of the Gulf of Carpentaria. Its still active because theres a fair bit of uncertainty of its actual movement, Mr Patterson said. It looks like the low isnt going to have a lot of effect (in the NT) except where a high moves into the bight, which will cause a dry south-easterly flow pushing into the Top End early next week. Mr Patterson said instead of bad weather, Ita might even bring some nice early dry conditions. Isolated showers and storms will contract to northern coastal areas, he said. Last night the system sat 710km east of Cooktown in Queensland, moving west at about 15km/h, and is expected to be upgraded to a category 4 today, packing winds of up to 250km/h near its core. Remaining staff at Lizard Island, which lies in the direct path of the system, will leave this morning after 31 guests and some staff were evacuated yesterday. The District Disaster Management Group, which includes emergency services, local councils and stakeholders, met yesterday with Cape communities dialling in to co-ordinate the response. Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Regional Director Wayne Coutts said additional resources would be on standby. Obviously if theres any major impacts in any of these smaller communities or even further down south, were ready to send in more resources straight after the event, he said. Its not something we usually do before the event. Storm surges of up to four metres are predicted for where Ita crosses, although as this is likely to be a remote area, it is unlikely to impact residents. In Darwin, the mercury has hovered around a typical 32C and will remain much the same next week. Manap Lay waits for a lucky bite on Stokes Hill Wharf as clouds roll into Darwin Harbour yesterday Picture: DANIEL HARTLEY-ALLEN By CLAYTON BENNETT and GRACE UHR No progress on scandal charges THE case of a civilian charged in a Territory Government drug and corruption scandal has been put off. Phillip Noel Kaye remains in custody. He is charged with 14 weapons, drugs and corruption offences along with unlawfully accessing computer data that were expected to progress yesterday. But defence counsel Louise Bennett asked for a two-week adjournment to continue discussions with prosecutors. Kaye will appear at Darwin Magistrates Court on April 16. If the official corruption proceeds (to committal) it might take some time, Ms Bennett said. She said yesterday her client would not apply for bail. Youngsters invited to have their say FOR National Youth Week, young Territorians are being encouraged to take part in the nations biggest annual poll of Australian youth, the Mission Australia 2014 Youth Survey. Yesterday Mission Australia launched its 13th annual Youth Survey, which is pro vides an opportunity for 15-19 year olds to share their concerns and hopes for the future. Mission Australia CEO Catherine Yeomans said that there has never been a more important time for the country to listen to the views of young Australians. Our youth are facing incredible challenges. This years survey is a vital opportunity for our youth to share their views, and for the nation to listen, she said. The survey closes on July 20. To take part in the survey, go to missionaustralia.com.au/ youthsurvey. Boundaries prominent in gamba plan A REVISED weed management plan for gamba grass has been released. New boundaries are a key feature of this years plan. Hot and destructive gamba grass fires can kill native trees, gradually changing savanna landscapes into grasslands, Lands department Weed Management Branch acting director Geraldine Lee said. Gamba grass was declared a weed in 2008 and the first gamba grass management plan was released in 2010. It was reviewed three years later. In general, it was determined that the management plan remained broadly valid with boundary changes the main improvement, she said. Go to nt.gov.au/gamba for more information. Cash boost for tender advice A NEW program aimed at assisting indigenous owned or operated businesses to strengthen their ability to compete for government tenders is being trialled. Discussions with key government departments, the Industry Capability Network and the NT Indigenous Business Network identified the need for a targeted support program for indigenous businesses to develop their tendering skills. The Indigenous Business Tender Support Program, focused on remote and regional indigenous business, will provide up to $5000 for eligible businesses to receive advice from a business consultant. A PRIZE A DAY 1st 30th April 2014 Drawn every day between 6pm & 7pm Visit the Action Station for details Action Member Exclusive. Terms & Conditions Apply. Permit #NTL13/20. Please Gamble Responsibly. Vintec Wine Fridge


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.