Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 10 Jun 2013



The Northern Territory news Mon 10 Jun 2013

Other title

NT news


The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT




This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.




Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication


File type



Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited



Parent handle


Citation address


Page content

www.ntnews.com.au Monday, June 10, 2013. NT NEWS. 19 P U B : NTNE-WS-DA-TE:10-JGE:19 CO-LO-R: C-M Y-K St Kildas Leigh Montagna cant believe he missed an easy shot at goal late in the game against West Coast at Etihad Stadium yesterday Picture: MICHAEL KLEIN Double dose of howlers sinks Saints STKILDAVWEST COAST ByMICHAELKLEIN EAGLES 84 SAINTS 80 WESTCOAST 3.5 4.7 7.9 12.12 (84) STKILDA 4.2 6.7 9.10 11.14 (80) Goals: West Coast: J Darling 3 A Embley 2 E MacKenzie 2 M Priddis 2 D Cox N Naitanui S Selwood. St Kilda: S Milne 5 B Maister 2 A Saad N Riewoldt R Stanley T Dennis-Lane. Best: West Coast: S Selwood E MacKenzie L Shuey M Priddis B Wilson C Masten. St Kilda: N Dal Santo L Montagna S Milne F Ray D Armitage N Riewoldt. Injuries:West Coast: J Kennedy (calf) replaced in selected side by J Cripps. St Kilda: T Hickey (leg) replaced in selected side by A Saad, N Wright (back) replaced in selected side by J Saunders. Umpires: Chris Donlon, Stuart Wenn, Jason Armstrong. Venue: Etihad Stadium. LEIGH Montagna and Beau Maister would be advised to call in sick for the match review this week. Two howlers from the pair lost St Kilda a game they simply should have won. At the 21-minute mark of the last quarter Montagna ran onto the ball at centre half-forward and had open space between him and the goal. He took a bounce and when the lone Eagles defender ahead of him halfheartedly came at him he tried to guide the ball through from 20m. It missed and the problem for Montagna was he had ignored two of his teammates, Nick Riewoldt and Stephen Milne, who were both alone in the goal square. He handballs that ball over the top and St Kilda win. Then with just over two minutes remaining Maister misses a tough set shot from 50m which gets the ball in Shannon Hurns hands for the kick-in. The best kick in the competition does what everyone at Etihad Stadium knew he would, he sends it 70m down the middle where Nic Naitanui flies high and a swarm of Eagles converge. Matt Rosa, who had actually set up Montagnas chance to win it by producing his own horrible kicking error, grabs the ball and with no-one in the Eagles forward line sends a mongrel punt long. Full-back Eric Mackenzie is leading the charge with Maister on his tail as the ball boun ces in the forward pocket. Suddenly, the Saint loses his footing and hits the deck. With no pressure Mackenzie strolls in to kick the winning goal. If Maister doesnt fall over, St Kilda win. The Saints deserved to win and they usually do when Stephen Milne kicks five but to the Eagles credit they played their best football when it mattered in the last 30 minutes. They had been putrid at times, particularly in the third quarter where big guns Naitanui and Dean Cox didnt touch the ball. At the three-quarter time break Cox approached Eagles coach John Worsfold and spoke to him before he addressed the group. It was almost like he was telling the coach not to stress. He was on the money as suddenly the Eagles dominated the middle of the ground they led the clearances 10-1 midway through the quarter with Cox kicking the first goal of the term. Jack Darling, who was playing a lone hand after the late withdrawal of Josh Kennedy, marked strongly and brought the margin back to one point at the seven-minute mark. Milne broke the run with a brilliant goal from 50m but then Matt Priddis kicked two goals in as many minutes both from free-kicks sending St Kilda fans into a frenzy. But that man Milne struck back immediately thanks to a beautiful David Armitage pass at the 16-minute mark which levelled the scores. Clearly it was meant to be for the Saints but unfortunately for Montagna and Maister, this fairytale had become a nightmare. For the winners Scott Selwood worked hard for 34 possessions while Luke Shuey was prominent with 26. Montagna led the Saints with 29 possessions while Nick Dal Santo, who played the first three quarters at half-back, was a lot better with 26 touches. For the most part the game was a grind between tw teams who were hoping the other would stuff up more. The Saints got away early they kicked the opening four goals of the game but from quarter-time on it was hard work with neither team grabbing any momentum. What St Kilda was bringing to the table was tackling pressure with Armitage leading the way with nine.