Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 14 Dec 2012

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 14 Dec 2012

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2012-12-14

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/243531

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/602617

Page content

14 NT NEWS. Friday, December 14, 2012. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 1 4 -D E C -2 0 1 2 P A G E : 1 4 C O L O R : C M Y K Beer, Wine and Spirits now also available. 21 on the Wharf Stokes Hill Wharf - Darwin Open 9am - 10pm Phone: 8981 0990 Dinner Special BBQ Pork Ribs and any Australian light or mid-strength beer $22.00 1 0 5 0 5 5 8 Enjoy Breakfast 7days Beer, Wine and Spirits now also DiDi BB anan ooor mooor m 1 0 5 0 5 5 8 Enjoy your favourite lunches with sea bre ezes at 21 on the Wharf. Proprietors of Caf 2 1 have a new venue at Stok es Hill Wharf. 21 on the Wh arf is now open with a mo uth watering menu inclu ding a variety of hot mea ls, homemade pastries, salads. For the sweet-tooths , delicious cakes and cookies to go with your coffe e. NATION l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au Prank DJs get death threats Southern Cross Austereo management is stepping up security for certain staff Picture: GORDON McCOMISKIE By YONI BASHAN, JONATHAN MARSHALL and HOLLY BYRNES SYDNEY: NSW Police have launched an investigation into death threats against Southern Cross Austereo staff, with management recruiting 24-hour bodyguard protection and staff forced to move into safe-house accommodation. The security lockdown has forced about a dozen staff to move to hotels and up to 10 executives to be assigned close personal protection services costing an estimated $75,000 a week. The move follows the suicide of British nurse Jacintha Saldanha, which has prompted outrage and, in some quarters, anger against Austereo and its under-fire 2DayFM DJs Michael Christian and Mel Greig. The latest threat arrived by mail yesterday and was directed at Christian. Detectives seized the letter, which was sent from South Australia, yesterday afternoon for examination. The letter said there were bullets out there with your (Christians) name on it and made threats involving a shotgun. Austereo is preparing for the long-haul, with specialist security expected to be in place for several weeks, possibly months. It is expected the further devel opments in the British investigation may inflame individuals and prompt further threats. Police said yesterday they had been liaising with Austereo staff in recent days over a range of matters, including security. Meanwhile, the media watchdog confirmed it had used its discretionary powers to fast-track an official investigation into the royal prank call scandal. ACMA chairman Chris Chapman made clear the radio network, not the Summer Hot30 presenters, would be the target of the independent regulators scrutiny for up to four possible breaches of the broadcasting code. Labor asks if Slipper fits Abbott CANBERRA: Federal Labor is trying to link Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to its claim there was a Liberal National Party conspiracy to bring down former party member Peter Slipper and, by doing so, the Government. The attack came as Mr Abbotts office denied it began drafting a media release responding to the April 20 filing of court documents by political adviser James Hunter Ashby, accusing the then parliamentary Speaker of sexual harassment, the night before the story broke. On Wednesday, Federal Court Justice Steven Rares dismissed Mr Ashbys claim, saying it was an abuse of process with the main purpose of pursuing a political attack against Mr Slipper. Senior Labor MPs believe Mr Abbott owes the public an explanation. This is a conspiracy of enormous proportions, Labor frontbencher Craig Emerson said.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.