Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Sat 17 Nov 2012

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Sat 17 Nov 2012

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2012-11-17

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/242748

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/605787

Page content

54 NT NEWS. Saturday, November 17, 2012. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 1 7 -N O V -2 0 1 2 P A G E : 5 4 C O L O R : C M Y K 1080127v5 SPORT l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au FOOTROT FLATS Beckham rumour takes sorry turn SPECULATION about former Manchester United star David Beckhams potential move to the A-League has been shot down less than 24 hours after it started. As Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop was appearing live on Fox Sports last night to confirm an approach had been received by Beckhams management about a guest stint in the A-League this season, a representative for the former England captain issued a statement quashing the talk. There is always interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player, a spokes person for Beckham said. However, there are absolutely no plans to play in Australia. David is completely focused on the MLS playoffs and winning another championship with the Galaxy. Its believed Perth Glory and Melbourne Heart are the two teams with official interest at this stage in trying to entice the 37-year-old here. Gallop believed Beckham was interested in a 10-game guest stint from the A-Leagues transfer window in January. Of course it would be fantastic but theres some hoops that would have to be jumped through, he had said. Whincup to play his future by ear Whincup JAMIE Whincups shortterm future almost certainly has another V8 Supercar championship in it perhaps as soon as this weekend. His long-term future is anyones guess, with the Holden driver not ruling out a move away from the sport he has dominated once his contract expires at the end of 2013. Whincup could possibly wrap up his fourth V8 title by the end of the weekends two races at Winton in Victoria. With another year remaining on his Team Vodafone deal, Whincup admits his outlook has been freshened up by plans to bring in new manufacturers and more costeffective cars next year, which will shake up the sport. After two V8 cham pionships in five years, Marcos Ambrose shifted to NASCAR, where he has fought his way from the ground up to become a serious competitor in the toughest tin-top series in the world. I dont plan more than 12 months ahead, so who knows? Whincup said when asked how long he would keep driving in the V8 series. A sizzling practice yesterday, served notice his mission is on track. Crows dodge bullet as AFL delays investigation FOOTBALL ByANDREWCAPEL in Adelaide Sanderson CROWS coach Brenton Sanderson is the happiest man in Adelaide today. He will this week be able to add another quality player to his emerging list after the club last night dodged a draft bullet. Adelaide has been allowed back into Thursdays national draft after the AFL postponed Mondays AFL Commission hearing into allegations of salary cap rorting and draft tampering against the Crows. Adelaide will now have picks 20, 54 and 64 at the draft where it intends to redraft dumped utility Nick Joyce and steal a young star with its first selection. The first round is regarded as being deep in talent, with a host of classy Croweaters up for grabs. The Crows were said to be keen on Glenelg key forward Tim OBrien as a replacement for the wantaway Kurt Tippett but would have been out of the reckoning if they were stripped of their firstround pick. Now they are right in the mix for him and some others. History shows a lot of talent comes from the first and second rounds in the draft, so were very happy to be able to use pick 20, Adelaide list manager David Noble said. Weve finally got some clarity on what picks well be able to use and well now benefit from all the hard work our (recruiting) guys have put in around the country. There were some good results at the (AFL under-18) championships from some of our (SA) guys so this pick gives us another chance to continue to grow our depth. While the Crows are back in the draft, Tippetts future has become more clouded. The key forward who is set to become the biggest villain in the clubs 22-year history remains on Adelaides list while the AFL waits to rule on its club and player charges. The Crows final list lodgment is on November 29 and if the hearing goes ahead in December as expected, it is unclear where Tippett who wants to join premier Sydney will be left. He didnt nominate for the national draft in the hope of being snapped up by the Swans in the December 11 pre-season draft. Now he could find himself being left on the Crows list. With Watson, its not so elementary After debuting in the Gabba Test, Rob Quiney has retained his spot in the Australian squad, for now CRICKET ByMALCOLMCONN CONFUSION reigns over whether Shane Watson can play the second Test in Adelaide as a batsman only but his hopes of being passed fit appear doomed. Two days after highperformance manager Pat Howard ruled out the Australian vice-captain unless he could bowl, chairman of selectors John Inverarity has ruled him back in again. However, Inverarity has set such tight parameters for the injury-plagued shortform specialist that it is most unlikely Watson will be able to play the second Test against South Africa, beginning on Thursday. Watson has been named in a predictable 13-man squad, with his replacement in Brisbane, Rob Quiney, retaining his place for now. A final decision on whether Watson plays may be left until as late as Wednesday but he will face a serious fitness Test for the mild calf strain which afflicted him again before the first Test. Theres the issue of his bowling. It is unlikely hell be able to get his bowling workloads up in time to be able to bowl in the Test, Inverarity said. Thats something the national selection panel will have to consider very carefully next Tuesday, Wednesday. Last Wednesday, Watson was an all-rounder or a spectator, now hes a batsman, too. Inverarity was guarded about whether Ben Hilfenhaus, the least impressive of Australias bowlers in Brisbane, would retain his spot or lose it to Mitchell Starc. TEST SQUAD Second Test - Australia v South Africa at Adelaide Oval (November 22-26): Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson (v/c), Ed Cowan, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mike Hussey, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Rob Quiney, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, MatthewWade, DavidWarner.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.