Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Tue 21 Aug 2012

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Tue 21 Aug 2012

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2012-08-21

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/241873

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/614058

Page content

4 NT NEWS. Tuesday, August 21, 2012. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 1 -A U G -2 0 1 2 P A G E : 4 C O L O R : C M Y K NEWS l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au CLP vow on creek THE CLP has vowed to stop flooding in the Rapid Creek area if it wins the election. Leader Terry Mills announced $1.5 million as a first step towards funding future works once an ongoing hydrology review in the area was completed. Flooding in the Rapid Creek corridor damaged property and affected families and households in Millner and Rapid Creek in recent years. Millners Rebecca KopkeBennett, 40, last week told the NT News that her one election wish was to see the hydrology review completed and action taken to prevent Rapid Creek floods. ALP loss forecast A FORMER ALP pollie now thinks the CLP will win this weekends election after seeing polling published in yesterdays NT News. Ken Parish believes the CLP will win 13 of the 25 seats, by taking the Darwin seat of Johnston off Labor. He had been predicting 12 seats each to the major parties and one to Independent Gerry Wood. Mr Parish says theres a chance Labor may also lose Arafura to the CLPs Francis Xavier and Nightcliff to Independent candidate Stuart Blanch. Mr Parish said Labor has been derailed in the past week after revelations the party tried to cover up an assault conviction of its candidate Ken Vowles by threatening legal action. For Labors campaign its been somewhere between a major setback and a complete disaster, he said, adding it put Paul Henderson in a bad light, as the Labor leader had condemned Independent Peter Rudge for not publicising his own violent past. Pledge for school A NEW $8 million school for middle years and senior special needs students will be built if Labor wins the Territory election. Labor leader Paul Henderson said the new Henbury School would be built in Darwins northern suburbs to cater for as many as 80 students. Henbury is a fantastic school, with dedicated teachers and a thriving school community, he said. As the Territory continues to grow, we need to provide the infrastructure and facilities to support all of our kids needs, he said. The school would be finished by 2016. Backflip on deputy CLP leader Terry Mills has backflipped and now says deputy Kezia Purick will be his deputy after the election. Mr Mills had earlier this week said the position would be elected by the party-wing, as usual, after the election. All will be revealed . . . I dont want to get ahead of the game, he told Mix FM on Friday. Labor leapt on that, saying it again proved the CLP was still plagued by leadership struggles. Mr Mills moved to quash speculation yesterday during a live ABC radio forum. In terms of my deputy, it is Kezia, he said. Abusive ad claim THE CLP has been forced to edit an abusive TV ad after Labor complained about it calling leader Paul Henderson a jerk-off. The ad features an optometrists eye chart that spells out HENDO IS A JERK OFF GET RID OF HIM!! Labor leader Paul Henderson said many people would be pretty upset by that language. Its not language that families would allow in their loungeroom, he said. CLP leader Terry Mills said the ad had been altered. Its half of one second and it shouldnt cause us to lose sight of the 11 years that Labor has failed us. Mr Mills has also taken issue with a campaign ad, which he says is a lie and is circulated by Young Labor members on Facebook. In it, Young Labor suggests the CLP will cut music festival Bassinthegrass. Young Labor has a history of creating questionable anti-CLP material including a Hitler spoof. Govt ordered to buy back blocks of land By DAVID WOOD THE Territory Government will have to buy back blocks of land and pay owners compensation after its planning department approved a residential development in a flood zone. Ombudsman Carolyn Richards yesterday took the unusual step of releasing her report into the development in Herbert, in Darwins rural area, despite the fact it had not been tabled in Parliament. She recommended the owners be paid full market value for their properties, plus relocation costs and stamp duty. Labor and the CLP both agreed yesterday to imple ment all of her recommendations if they win Saturdays NT election. Ms Richards also criticised the Development Consent Authority for allowing the development to go ahead. She questioned the DCAs independence from the NT planning department and recommended an inquiry into its operation. The DCA re commended the development in 2006 after it was knocked back several times from 2000. Ms Richards has had a strained relationship with the Labor Government since it appointed her in 2005. Her tenure is due to end next Tuesday. She said she released the report this week in the interest of landowners who needed to know where they stood ahead of a possible change in government. Independent MLA Gerry Wood made the original complaint to the Ombudsman. He said Ms Richards had made a reasonable decision, but acknowledged the Ombudsman and the Government hadnt always gotten along. Despite major flooding of her home, Robyn Bott has no intention of leaving her low-lying property on Herbert Picture: JUSTIN SANSON Floods not enough to deter residents By DAVID WOOD DESPITE being flooded for three months, a resident of a subdivision at the heart of an Ombudsman report said she doesnt want to go anywhere. Territory Ombudsman Carolyn Richards yesterday released her report into the residential subdivision at Herbert with ten recommendations including the government buy the land back at agreed value and paying compensation. There are six blocks in Herbert in the wet area which flooded in February 2011 with three of them seriously flooded. The water came within 30mm of Robyn Botts house which was three weeks from being completed. But she does not want to move and they are just wanting a drain built which she believes will probably happen anyway. The house was flooded for three months six months before it was finished. But Ms Bott was not critical of the developer who she said had paid to rent a caravan for the couple to live in for five months. The government has already offered to buy our block out and we dont want that, she said. Meredith Saunders from Virginia has been speaking on behalf of her daughter Danielle Saunders who has a block in the zone. The block went 90 per cent under water and was flooded for about four months. She said she cannot build on it and needs to sell but wants compensation. We are just so thankful that she didnt build. . . Our daughter was devastated of course, this was going to be her dream house, her dream property, she said. The difficulty for her now is to even find a block in the area she wants to live. Mrs Saunders said Chief Minister Paul Henderson said on ABC radio in June the issue would be resolved.