Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 17 Feb 2012

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 17 Feb 2012

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2012-02-17

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/238428

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/632369

Page content

10 NT NEWS. Friday, February 17, 2012. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 1 7 -F E B -2 0 1 2 P A G E : 1 0 C O L O R : C M Y K www.growingnt.nt.gov.au Employment Strategy feedback deadline extended Territorians now have until COB 9 March 2012 to submit their comments for the next NT employment strategy. Public forums will be held in Darwin on 20 February and in Alice Springs on 23 February. Go to www.nt.gov.au/dbe to read the Employment Strategy Discussion Starter and submit feedback. For more information visit www.nt.gov.au/dbe or call 8999 6903. NEWS l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au Bombing toll accurate By CONOR BYRNE HE SAID IT TOM LEWIS DarwinMilitary Museum director Nowitnesses . . . attest to large numbers being buried . . . at sea A HISTORIAN has hit out at claims the Bombing of Darwin death toll was higher than the official number. Darwin Military Museum director Tom Lewis said yesterday the reports had been researched exhaustively. If many more than the generally accepted figure of approximately 250 died, where are their bodies? Mass graves have not been found, he said. There are no witnesses who attest to large numbers being buried, necessarily weighted, at sea. Bombing survivor and navy gunner Eric Thompson, 98, returned to Darwin on Wednesday and said the death toll was much higher than the official figure. And author Roland Perry says in an unpublished book, Centre Stage, that as many as 1100 died and were buried in mass graves at Mindil Beach. Federal Veterans Affairs Minister and Territory fed eral MP Warren Snowdon said the official figure was too low. But Dr Lewis said the claims meant that military and government personnel were engaged in criminally deceptive activities. Hardly what is deserved for those who had indeed fought bravely and capably on the day of Australias biggest mainland assault, Dr Lewis said. The historian said the navy, post office and police barracks kept good records. If large numbers of people were killed on land, where was that? he said. The damage was not too widespread in the first raid. Seeing death on a widespread scale, with hundreds more wounded, does cause psychological trauma. Bodies were indeed buried at Mindil Beach and in other places, records show and then exhumed later to be taken to places such as Adelaide River War Cemetery. It was simply a matter of coping the bodies needed to be respectfully cared for, Dr Lewis concluded. Dip your lid to Pearl Harbor THE claim that more bombs were dropped on Darwin than Pearl Harbor is irrelevant, a Darwin historian says. Tom Lewis said the bombs dropped on the naval base in Hawaii weremore powerful. He said the Japanese attack on Darwinwas not such a large attack as air raids go. The tonnage at Pearl Harbor was greater and the destructive powermuch higher. More than 2000 people died in the US attack compared with 246 in Darwin. And the bombers that struck in the first assault were all single-engined aircraft. Its not as if wewere being attacked by the huge loads of bombs carried by fourengined aircraft, he said. This isnt a raid such as those later experienced in Europe, which reduced entire city blocks to rubble. Civilian slant on Bombing Peter and Sheila Forrest have written a book about the Bombing of Darwin from the points of view of civilians Picture: MICHAEL FRANCHI A BOOK written about the civilian survivors of the Bombing of Darwin will be launched today. The book, entitled Battling: Territorians and their War will be launched at a gala lunch at the Darwin Convention Centre. It has been penned by Darwin historians Peter and Sheila Forrest. Ms Forrest said the book is a collaboration of 20 years of research and interviews. She said the book aimed to fill a gap in the historical records of the bombing. Every aspect of the military side of the bombing has been covered but not much at all on the civil side, she said. Mr Forrest said even though he had produced many publications, he still got excited seeing the sheets sliding off the press. Its great weve put a lot of effort into it, and were really happy with it, he said. The book will be officially launched by chief minister Paul Henderson.