Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 27 Oct 2011

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 27 Oct 2011

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2011-10-27

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/235447

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/645787

Page content

14 NT NEWS. Thursday, October 27, 2011. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 7 -O C T -2 0 1 1 P A G E : 1 4 C O L O R : C M Y K 2 8 0 6 0 57 Hudson Fysh Ave, Ludmilla My favourite style of elevated!! evated with massive verandah Auction on-site: Today at 6pm 041 1234567 re170401 NEWS l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au POKIESAPPEAL INDEPENDENT MP Andrew Wilkie will seek Tony Abbotts support for Labors planned poker machine gambling reforms after the federal opposition leader warned the coalition could rescind the laws if it won government. The federal governments poker machine changes are part of a deal the Tasmanian crossbench MP made with Labor to form a minority government after the 2010 election. JULIA TALKSTOUGH PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has used a meeting with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to stress the need to address allegations of human rights abuses in his country. Their meeting in Perth yesterday came as damning photographs emerged allegedly showing executions and abuse by Sri Lankan soldiers. MOREVICTIMS LOOM MORE people have come forward alleging they were sexually assaulted by a security guard at a Melbourne Jewish school, a court has heard. Samuel David Cyprys, 43, who was a guard at Yeshivah College in East St Kilda, is charged with 29 counts of indecent assault and gross indecency. POPULATIONBOOM WESTERN Australias population will double over the next 40 years on the back of a continuing resources boom, Regional Development Minister Brendon Grylls says. Mr Grylls yesterday said WAs current mining, oil and gas boom was not unlike the gold rush of the 1890s. DRUNKENATTACK A MAN accused of murdering an elderly man in a drunken attack in the Sydney suburb of Cronulla should not be judged on his alleged racial abuse of the victim, his lawyer says. James Dean-Willcocks, who was out celebrating his 23rd birthday when he assaulted Magno Alvarado, 67, allegedly said of the victim, Hes Japanese, he deserves it, a court has heard. JUDGEORDERSVOTE A JUDGE has ordered that a $12 billion takeover of brewing giant Fosters be put to the companys shareholders. At a procedural hearing in the Victorian Supreme Court yesterday, Justice Anne Ferguson said the proposed deal should go before Fosters shareholders before December. Detention alarm in refugee tragedy Chris Bowen THE death of a refugee at Sydneys Villawood centre has sparked fresh debate about Australias asylum seeker policy. The Tamil man was discovered in a distressed condition at the residential complex adjacent to the main centre, where families and vulnerable individuals are kept, early yesterday. He died shortly after midnight. The man, 27, had been detained at the western Sydney centre since late March 2010. He had gained refugee status in August but was awaiting security clearance for placement in the community. Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said the man was one of 462 people awaiting security clearance from the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO). He was not considered suitable for community placement, Mr Bowen said. There was consultation with the relevant security agencies, thats ASIO, and the advice was it was not appropriate in this case, he said. Refugee advocates said the mans death could have been avoided if he had been processed in the community. This event is absolutely tragic but unfortunately it is not surprising, Refugee Action Coalition campaigner Jemima Mowbray said yesterday. Were calling on the Government to shut detention centres and start community processing now. A friend of the man said he had overdosed on sleeping pills but Mr Bowen declined to comment, saying the mat ter was subject to a coronial inquest. However, the minister confirmed that the man had sought leave to attend a Hindu festival, which was to be held at Villawood yesterday, but the request had been knocked back. Refugee Action Coalition spokesman Ian Rintoul said the mans bid to attend the festival might have sparked his suicide. New court action on pulp mill CONSERVATIONISTS have launched a fresh court challenge to timber company Gunns northern Tasmanian pulp mill. The Tasmanian Conservation Trust (TCT) has commenced Supreme Court action to have work on the Tamar Valley mill declared illegal. A clause of Gunns state issued permits is that work on the project was to have substantially commenced before August 30 this year. Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) director Alex Schaap last month found Gunns had satisfied the terms of the permits, but said a court could overturn his decision. Bali boys casual court scene A PAIR of blue shorts and the leaf and stem of a marijuana plant have been tabled as evidence in the prosecutors brief against the Australian schoolboy who will face drug charges in a Bali court next week. The courtroom will be closed from the media, with precautions being made to secure the court complex in Denpasar. The judge and legal teams will wear casual clothes to create a relaxed atmosphere for the student. Prosecutors last night reported that there would likely be three court sessions where the 14-year-old boy would be required to attend. New evidence in senators shoplifting trial Mary Jo Fisher PROSECUTORS will be allowed to reopen their case to present new evidence in the shoplifting trial of South Australian Liberal senator Mary Jo Fisher. Police have won permission to call a forensic psychiatrist to rebut testimony given in court last month that suggested the senator was suffering a panic attack when she allegedly stole grocer ies in December last year. In Adelaide Magistrates Court yesterday, magistrate Kym Boxall agreed with the prosecutions argument it had not been given enough notice of evidence from the senators psychiatrist, Brian McKenny. Mr Boxall said evidence from Dr McKenny had come to light after the prosecution had closed its case, and he ruled a report prepared by the psychiatrist for the defence should have been handed over earlier. He said in his view there were exceptional circumstances sufficient for him to allow the calling of rebuttal evidence. The prosecution will call psychiatrist Ken OBrien tomorrow before closing submissions in the case, in which Senator Fisher is accused of stealing groceries worth $92.92 from a Foodland store in suburban Adelaide. She has pleaded not guilty and not guilty to assaulting a store security guard. Qantas passengers are expected to endure more flight delays thanks to looming industrial action from ground staff Stop work hits Qantas MORE than 10,000 Qantas passengers are expected to be hit by further flight delays, as negotiations between the airline and ground staff continue to break down. The Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents baggage handlers, catering workers and ground staff, announced yesterday that it would hold meetings at airports around Australia tomorrow for one hour. It warned that further industrial action was likely. They will not employ another person in this country under Qantas and they will be outsourcing work where ever they can, TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon said yesterday. I expect that there will be an increasing expansion of industrial action (after the meetings) because there is no other alternative that the company has left us with. The TWU previously called off industrial action. Qantas said the action tomorrow comes after the union rejected the airlines new offer over pay and conditions for about 3800 staff.