Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 25 Jul 2011

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 25 Jul 2011

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2011-07-25

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/233905

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/655505

Page content

12 NT NEWS. Monday, July 25, 2011. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 5 -J U L -2 0 1 1 P A G E : 1 2 C O L O R : C M Y K www.safeterritory.nt.gov.au Schools in Children throughout the Northern Territory will return to school from 25 July. Motorists are urged to take care around school zones. For childrens safety please: ags are up. NATION l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au 11-year-old killed by4WD SYDNEY: An 11-year-old boy has been killed on a farm on the NSW far north coast after a four-wheeldrive rolled over him. Emergency crewswere called to the farm at Dulguigan, 10km north of Murwillumbah, shortly before 3pm yesterday. The boys father found him pinned under the vehicle and attempted to revive him as police, an ambulance and a helicopter raced to the property. He died at the scene despite the efforts of paramedics. Hunger strike tally 90 BRISBANE: Ninety asylum seekers are now involved in a hunger strike at a remote Queensland immigration detention centre. Another 10 detainees have joined the protest at the Scherger Immigration Detention Centre near Weipa, on the Cape York Peninsula. On Saturday a man cut his own throat and another his arm in protest at the slow processing of asylum claims. Asylum Seeker Resource Centre spokeswoman Pamela Curr says Scherger detainees have been on a hunger strike since Thursday and called on the Immigration Department to intervene. Its really a tragedy in the making, Ms Curr said. She said some detainees had been at Scherger for up to 20 months. Two men are unconscious and two men have cut themselves. One man has climbed a tree and was going to jump and his friends managed to bring him down, she said. Ms Curr said all the detainees arrived in Australia by boat and had been interviewed at least once about their claims for asylum. Smokers say risks overblown MELBOURNE: A new survey has found nearly onethird of smokers believe the health effects of smoking are exaggerated. And fewer than four out of 10 smokers are able to identify emphysema as a health effect of smoking. Quit executive director Fiona Sharkie said yesterday smokers were kidding themselves. Girl survives second-floor fall SYDNEY: A five-year-old girl has had an amazing escape after falling from a second-floor window in southwest Sydney. She tumbled through a flyscreen window at a Casula unit block just after midday on Sunday and struck a roof before bouncing off a car on to a concrete path. CareFlight paramedics called to the scenewere stunned to find the girl conscious. CareFlight director Ian Badham said apart from some scratches, the girl managed to avoid serious injury. Malaysia swap fear Asylum seekers arriving at Christmas Island after their boat was intercepted off the Australian coast last week. Australias deal with Malaysia could see detainees sent to the Asian country in the next few days By ALISON REHN ASYLUM seekers on Christmas Island are reeling from the news they could be sent to Malaysia within days. With the government expected to sign its people-swap deal with Malaysia as early as today, a detainee who has been on the island for more than a year said recently arrived asylum seekers were worried about being sent to another country. The fears were voiced as the government revealed a boatload of 47 asylum seekers and four crew was intercepted north of the Ashmore Islands on Saturday. Under the deal with Malaysia, the latest arrivals will be transferred to Christmas Island before being sent to another country. On Christmas Island, Mohammed, who did not want to disclose his full identity for fear of reprisals, said a family cried and cried when they learned they might be sent to Malaysia. They thought they would stay in Australia. Now they are very worried, he said. Mohammed said morale on Christmas Island, where there are 1135 detainees, was low. He blamed the length of stays in detention for multiple riots last week where up to 100 detainees armed themselves with makeshift weapons, lit fires and damaged property. Many people have been here for more than a year, some one year and four months, and they are very upset, he said. Before he announced the arrival of another boat, Home Affairs Minister Brendan OConnor said the swap deal, unveiled in May, had worked in deterring asylum seekers, Five hundred or so people have arrived, compared with 1700 in the same period last year, he said. Under the deal Malaysia will take up to 800 asylum seekers arriving by boat, in return for Australia accepting 4000 processed refugees. At Scherger, in Far North Queensland, about 50 male asylum seekers continued their hunger strike. Ten asylum seekers protested on the roof of the Darwin centre, while 200 protesters marched on the detention centre at Villawood, NSW. Boy, 13, blows O.049 SYDNEY: A boy, 13, has been charged with drink-driving on the NSW mid-north coast. The youngster was pulled over by police after driving a Toyota erratically through Stuarts Point Holiday Park on Saturday night. A roadside breath test revealed a reading of 0.049, police allege. The boy was charged with drink driving and driving without a licence, and will appear at Kempsey Childrens Court at a date which yet has to be set. A male passenger, 30, in the Toyota was charged with aiding and abetting a drink driver and permitting an unlicensed driver. He is also due to front court at a later date. Man shot dead at his front door SYDNEY: A Sydney man was shot and killed on his front doorstep, in what police believe was a carefully targeted attack. The victim, in his 50s, was blasted with a single bullet after answering his door in Duke St, Canley Heights, on Saturday night. At this point in the investigation we believe it is not a random attack, Superintendent Joe Cassar told reporters yesterday morning. The offender has been described as male, wearing dark clothing. The victim had gone to the front door with a woman who also lived at the home but who was not related to him. She was not injured and was helping detectives with their inquiries. Police have appealed for any information about the incident to be passed to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Police pelted with bottles after arrest SYDNEY: A woman has been arrested in a violent incident in NSW in which a drunken crowd hurled bottles at police officers. While police were attending to an assaulted woman in a street in Bourke about 12:15am yesterday several intoxicated people from a party began milling about, abusing them. As a call was being made for further assistance, a woman, 35, threw items at a police vehicle. She was arrested. Police alleged she resisted and abused them. A large crowd from the party then allegedly began hurling bottles and other objects at police. The woman allegedly continued to abuse and threaten officers at Bourke police station. She was charged with assaulting police, hindering police in the execution of duty and throwing items at a police vehicle. Alcohol industry puppet MELBOURNE: Controversial new research argues the industry-funded DrinkWise organisation is being used as a puppet by alcohol companies to boost profits. Dr Peter Miller, from Deakin Universitys School of Psychology, described DrinkWise as a SAPRO (social aspects/ public relations organisation) commonly used by industries which harm many of their users. They appear to lend credibility to the industrys claims of social responsibility, he said. DrinkWise was established in 2005 by the alcohol industry and since 2009 has been funded solely by drinks companies. It claims to promote a healthier and safer drinking culture in Australia and was behind the Kids Absorb Your Drinking and Kids and Alcohol Dont Mix advertising campaigns. It is clear from our study that DrinkWise is being used by the alcohol industry for its own benefit, Dr Miller said.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.