Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Sat 23 Apr 2011

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Sat 23 Apr 2011

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2011-04-23

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/232237

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/664950

Page content

www.ntnews.com.au Saturday, April 23, 2011. NT NEWS. 17 P U B : NTNE-WS-DA-TE:23-AGE:17 CO-LO-R: C-M Y-K Opportunity knocks Join the Census Remote Area Mobile Team in a job that lights the way forward for Australian communities. The 2011 Census of Population and Housing is in August. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is looking for independent people who enjoy being out of the office, have experience working with Aboriginal communities and can manage the challenges of driving in Australias outback. Let us shed a little more light on these jobs permanent residency Applications close 24 May 2011. Call 1800 150 858. The NT Medic team would like to invite you to drop in for our Open Day . This is a great opportunity for NT Medic to catch up with all our Employees and Future Employees to say a great big.. Hi and Thank you!. Why not drop in and meet the NTM Team and bring your friends along too!!! Refreshments provided for your enjoyment! NT Medic Open Day Date: Friday, 29th April 2011 Time: 10:00am to 4:30pm 2/3 Whitfield Street DARWIN NT 0800 Phone: 08 8943 1555 Fax: 08 8943 1500 www: ntmedic.com.au Have a chat with our inspiring consultants and find out how we can help YOU with YOUR WORK LIFE BALANCE! Ask us about our opportunities in the following areas: Department of Defence Rural & Remote Agency shift by shift Aged Care Working Adventures AMANDA COULD THIS BE YOU? TAMARASALLYDANNICAROLYNNE MG420616 ntnews.com.aul l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l WORLD Ceasefire shattered, six dead BANGKOK: Thai and Cambodian troops traded gunfire and artillery shells yesterday, leaving six dead in a new clash that shattered a two-month lull in tensions along their disputed border. Three Cambodian and three Thai soldiers were killed. It was the first serious outbreak of hostilities since fighting in February near the 900-year-old Hindu temple Preah Vihear left at least 10 dead and prompted a UN appeal for a lasting ceasefire. Termites chewup cash LUCKNOW: Police say termites have devoured currency notesworth 10 million rupees ($208,000) in a steel bank chest in northern India. Officer Navneet Rana says the bankmanager discovered the damagewhen he opened the reinforced room in an old bank building on Wednesday. Rana said: Its a matter of investigation how termites attacked bundles of currency notes stacked in a steel chest. Ferry death toll rises to 32 DHAKA: Police in Bangladesh raised the death toll from a ferry accident in the east of the country to 32 yesterday, withmore bodies expected to be recovered after rescueworkers raise the sunken vessel. Passengers were asleep on the boat when it collided on Thursdaywith thewreck of a cargo ship that had sunk a few days earlier in theMeghna River at Sarail, 90km fromDhaka. Catholic devotee Joey Sacdalan is nailed to a cross during a re-enactment of the crucifixion yesterday Picture: AFP Nailed to cross in bizarre Easter ritual SAN PEDRO CUTUD: Several Filipinos were nailed to wooden crosses to re-enact Jesus Christs suffering in a bizarre Good Friday rite rejected by the Catholic Church. Officials in San Juan village in northern Pampanga province say three labourers appeared calm as stainless steel nails were driven through their palms with hammers yesterday. They were then set aloft on crosses under a brutal sun for a few minutes as tourists snapped pictures. Village leader Remigio dela Cruz said four other men were crucified in nearby Santa Lucia village and more than a dozen more were nailed to crosses in his San Pedro Cutud community. Thousands of tourists watched the rituals. 5 bodies in garden NANTES: French police are looking for a man after a search for his family yielded a severed leg and five buried bodies believed to be those of his wife and their four children. A source close to the investigation said an active search had been launched for the husband and father, 50-year-old Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes, after the macabre find. De Ligonnes, a business manager, his 49-year-old school assistant wife and their children sons aged 21, 18 and 13 and a girl aged 16 disappeared earlier this month from their home in the western town of Nantes. The father had earlier told acquaintances he was a secret agent and was leaving to join a witness protection scheme. Police probing the disappearance found a section of human leg in the garden of the grey stone two-storey house on Thursday morning, then gradually unearthed five bodies throughout the day, Nantes prosecutor Xavier Ronsin told journalists in the city. Three bodies, those of mother Agnes, 49, and her two oldest sons, Thomas, 21 and Arthur, 18, were exhumed first from under a patio of the house, said the prosecutor, adding that they died in all likelihood by firearm. Later in the day, a statement said a fourth body that of 16-year-old Anne was exhumed with those of the familys two dogs. In a later update, the prosecutors office said a fifth body that of 13-year-old Benoit had been dug up. So the investigation of a worrying disappearance has become one for kidnap and murder, said Ronsin, who said there was no sign of violence in the house itself.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.