Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Tue 14 Dec 2010

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Tue 14 Dec 2010

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2010-12-14

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/227186

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/676994

Page content

40 NT NEWS. Tuesday, December 14, 2010. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 1 4 -D E C -2 0 1 0 P A G E : 4 0 C O L O R : C M Y K 34 3836 AGE DEFINITELY NO BARRIER RESTRICTIONS NOT HURTING NTFL SUPERCAR CHAMP DITCHES FORD 3 A N OT Y Sport Email: ntnsport@ntnews.com.auOnline: ntnews.com.au/sport Sportfax: (08) 8941 6117 HOME DELIVERY (08) 8944 9900 TUE FIRST DAY ON THE JOB FOR TEST ROOKIE Page 38 SANFL to revolt Leading clubs prefer winning finals ahead of Champions League Darren Chandler FOOTBALL ByREECEHOMFRAY in Adelaide THE AFLs version of the Champions League faces an embarrassing start with the SANFL likely to field three of its bottom four teams. The new competition, dubbed the Leagues Champions Cup, is supposed to draw on the best teams from state leagues around the country, which will face off in an English FA Cup-style knockout competition. Matches will be played as curtain raisers to AFL Saturday night games. Greater Western Sydney, as well as NT Thunder, is also scheduled to play in the tournament. The SANFL signed off on the plan last week but the top sides in South Australias nine-team competition are set to reject invitations to play. South Adelaide (ninth), Port Adelaide (eighth) and West Adelaide (sixth) are the only clubs to indicate they want in on the knockout competition. North Adelaide (seventh) was unable to be contacted yesterday, but top-five teams Central District, Norwood, Woodville-West Torrens (Eagles), Glenelg and Sturt all but ruled themselves out. The SA Football Commission has given clubs until 4pm today (NT time) to confirm whether they will participate. Clubs are concerned about the impact it will have on their regular season, that the prizemoney will be insufficient and restrictions on exposure for their sponsors. But SANFL chief football officer Darren Chandler re mains hopeful of clubs involvement. We certainly hope the (top three) clubs accept the invitation however we are confident all SANFL clubs would compete very well in this competition, he said. Asked whether it would be embarrassing for the league to field its bottom three clubs in a champions competition, Chandler said: Were confident all nine clubs would compete well. Sturt chief executive Matt Benson said his club was not vaguely interested and Eagles president Kurt Slaven said his club was more focused on winning SANFL premiership finals. But West, Port and South are all likely to play if the invitation falls to them. If were given the opportunity well certainly take it. It would be great experience for the development of our players and great promotion for our club, South Adelaide chief executive Ben Kavenagh said. AFL spokesman Patrick Keane would not speculate on the SANFLs involvement until he knew which clubs would participate. Meanwhile, future drawn AFL grand finals will be replayed the following week after the AFL yesterday decided not to introduce extratime for the biggest game of the year. This years drawn grand final between Collingwood and St Kilda created a logistical nightmare and divided opinion, with many experts and players arguing for extra-time. But the AFL commission announced yesterday the grand final replay would remain part of AFL tradition. GWSeyeMagpies trio: P37 GET DOWN AND DIRTY Simon Modra making an impression in his Hilux during recent Top End Mud Racer competition at Darwins Hidden Valley. For more news turn to Page 34. Picture: KATRINA BRIDGEFORD


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.