The Northern Territory news Tue 20 Jul 2010
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
38 NT NEWS. Tuesday, July 20, 2010. www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 0 -J U L -2 0 1 0 P A G E : 3 8 C O L O R : C M Y K SPORT l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ntnews.com.au Kewell stays inTurkey SOCCEROOSstarHarryKewellhas signedanewone-yeardealwith TurkishclubGalatasaray.The 31-year-old, freshfromplayingfor AustralianattheWorldCup,had beenlinkedwithamoveawayfrom theclubbuttheformerLiverpool andLeedsUnitedplayerwillnow stayinTurkeyforafurtherseason. Rainwashesoutplay GALLE:Theseconddaysplay inthefirstTestbetween IndiaandSriLankayesterdaywasabandonedwithout aballbeingbowledduetobadweather.Themorning starthadalreadybeendelayedbyawetoutfieldatthe Galle InternationalStadiumwhenathunderstorm soonafterensuredtherewouldbenoplaybefore lunch.Theumpiresscheduledaninspectionat6.30pm (NTtime)butanotherspellofheavyrain inthe afternoonwipedoutanyhopeofplay. Husseyqueriesformatchanges LEEDS:MikeHusseyhasquestionedthetimingofthe domesticone-daycompetitionrevampthissummer, fearing itcouldhamperAustraliaspreparationsfor nextyearsWorldCup.CricketAustralia isproposinga radicalnewformatforthe2010/11season,but Husseyexpressedreservationsaboutsomenew conceptssuchasonebatsmangettingmorethanone life inamatchandnewfieldingrestrictionswhich couldreducespinbowlingopportunities. Voss signals nine changes BRISBANE coach Michael Voss says he could make up to nine changes to his AFL team for Saturdays clash with Geelong given the Lions desperate form slump. It follows Saturdays 75-point belting at the hands of Hawthorn in Launceston. Voss said almost half the team could not be guaranteed to play the reigning premiers at Skilled Stadium. I know its the party line and a bit of cliche but youve got to have 22 players contribute on some level, Voss said. You cant have eight or nine who dont give that minimum standard. If you do have that number, then I dont know how youve got a hope in hell of winning. We preach it all the time as coaches and I know it sounds really boring, Id love to sex it up for you but the fact of the matter is (a contribution) is what weve got to get every week from our 22 players and were not getting that every week. Voss, whose Lions have lost 11 of their past 12 games and sit in 13th spot on the ladder after reaching the finals last year, said he had not given any thought to the idea that his job could be on the line. Its about our club and about what we are trying to achieve, and this now, in this last six weeks, is bigger than any certain person, he said. Voss said the Lions were compelled to find a spot for Aaron Cornelius after he booted seven goals in the QAFL on the weekend. Storm, Inglis keep Broncos guessing RUGBYLEAGUE ByMELISSAWOODSand WAYNEHEMING inMelbourne GREG Inglis may yet have a future at the Melbourne Storm after the NRL club revealed last night three players had signed deals with English club Wigan. Seeking to slash $1.325 million worth of talent to get under the salary cap, the club has started to chip away at its wages bill with Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima and Brett Finch confirmed departures to the Super League side. Inglis one of the big four at the Storm along with Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk was thought to be on the cusp of a deal with Brisbane but the Melbourne sides earlier suggestion they were still in the hunt for the superstar centre may yet ring true. There has been renewed interest (from Brisbane) but in terms of any finalisation or requestsforarelease,nothing could be further from the truth there, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said earlier yesterday. Hes (Inglis) been linked to the Broncos but in terms of getting close to a signature, its premature, if its going to happen at all. He might be leading people up the garden path because at this stage hes got a contract for the next two years with the Melbourne Storm and thats where it stands. The trios departure may have trimmed just under half of the $1.325m figure the Storm need to reach to get under the cap. It had followed five years of systematic breaches which cost the club two NRL premierships and the capacity to earn competition points in 2010. Second-rower Hoffman, prop Lima and five-eighth Finch will depart Melbourne at the end of this NRL season and reunite with ex-Storm assistant coach,Michael Maguire, the current Wigan coach. Hoffman, who spent eight years with the Storm, hoped his departure opened the door for someone else. It was a very tough decision to go but hopefully, with me taking this opportunity overseas, it will give someone else the chance to have the same great experiences that I have had here, he said. Im proud and honoured to have been able to play for Storm. Storm coach Craig Bellamy said it was tough to farewell players who had made such a mark in their time with Melbourne. Its always a sad time when you have to say farewell to one player, let alone three, said Bellamy. Another sticking point to a proposed Inglis move to Brisbane is Melbournes commitment to getting full price for him. The Broncos have refused to increase their initial $400,000 offer for the centre, despite it being well short of his current Storm deal reportedly worth $660,000. Any shortfall would count towards the Storms cap next year. The embattled club is adamant that will not happen. Tigers rally to down Cowboys WESTSTIGERS 26 COWBOYS 16 WestsTigers:LTuqiri2B AyshfordMBrownLFultonB MarshalltriesBMarshall goal Cowboys:AGrahamBHarris ATaumatatriesJThurston2 goals Crowd:11,364atLeichhardt Oval. Referees:MattCecchin, ShayneHayne. HE may have left his kicking boots at home but there was nothing wrong with Benji Marshalls dancing shoes as the Wests Tigers maestro orchestrated a dramatic 26-16 come from behind win over North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval on last night. Down 16-0 midway through the opening half against a side above only Melbourne Storm on the ladder, the Tigers kept alive their hopes of a top two finish as they ran in six unanswered tries. Marshall set up three of them and finished off the job with a 70 metre solo effort in the final minute. But the Tigers No. 6 was very nearly the villain as he missed his opening four shots at goal, which left the sides locked at 16-all deep into the game. Then with just over three minutes lefton theclock, after the Tigers had declined a 38 metre penalty goal shot and Marshall had missed a field goal from point blank range, the Kiwi five-eighth fed Liam Fulton who dived over for the clincher. The Tigers had the best of the position and possession during the opening exchanges, yet somehow they found themselvestrailing 16-0 before the half hour. A pinpoint Johnathan Thurston kick after five minutes found a wandering Lote Tuqiri out of position as Ashley Graham touched down out wide. The visitors were over again soon after when Daniel Fitzhenry dropped a bomb to give Ben Harris an opportunity to dive over from the ensuing scrum win before Arana Taumata a Tiger just four weeks ago scythed through from halfway for a 16-0 lead. Finally the Tigers showed some patience as Tuqiri finished a seamless backline movement to give hope of a second half comeback, the home side rewarding the Leichhardt faithful with three tries in the opening 14 minutes of the second period to get back on level terms. Liam Fulton did brilliantly to swivel and pass as he fell to the ground to send Mitch Brown over before Blake Ayshford got the Tigers within four when he did just enough to score from short range. Marshall fed off that energy to chip ahead and regather from inside his own half. Tuqiri deservedly finished off the play as he touched down in the corner to lock it up at 16 apiece with 25 minutes to go. Wests Tigers ace Benji Marshall makes a break which led to a try for Lote Tuqiri in last nights game with the Queensland Cowboys. The Tigers won by 10 points Picture: PHIL HILLYARD Malthouse wont stay on FromBackPage with a sharp rebuke by McGuire. He will be (staying), otherwise I will be suing him for breakingacontractandsomeone might have to buy him out, McGuire said. If anyone wants to try and talk to him, I will be suing them for inducing a person to break contracts. He is contracted and he has made the agreement. He has shaken my hand.Itsdone.Heisnotgoing anywhere. It is believed Malthouse has mellowed his thoughts in recent months, content that he now has a side that can compete for the ultimate glory in his final 30 or so matches at the helm. The Buckley succession plan will also see Malthouse paid close to the $900,000a-year he currently earns, a hefty price tag rendering him off limits to most AFL clubs. The ladder-leading Magpies have firmed into equal $4 second favorites to take out this years flag and break the clubs 20-year premiership drought. Keeper switches to Gold Coast SOCCER SYDNEY: New Zealand international goalkeeper Glen Moss will join Gold Coast United after sealing a switch from A-League club Melbourne Victory yesterday. Moss, who was a member of the All Whites squad at the 2010 World Cup in South Af rica, joins Gold Coast after 12 months with the Victory. The 27-year-old heads north after former Juventus custodian Jess Vanstrattan was granted a release from Gold CoasttojointheCentralCoast Mariners earlier yesterday. The former Wellington Phoenix stopper said the move to Queensland and the possible chance at first team football had proven too hard to turn down. As a goalkeeper you really have to be playing week in, week out, and I feel I have a better chance of playing regular football up north, said Moss who started his career as Melbournes No. 1 keeper after leaving the Phoenix.