Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 13 May 2010

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 13 May 2010

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2010-05-13

Description

This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/221223

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/696707

Page content

8 Northern Territory News, Thursday, May 13, 2010 www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 1 3 -M A Y -2 0 1 0 P A G E : 8 C O L O R : C M Y K FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THE DETAILS, WEVE GOT THEM HERE: Our Fair Play Policy applies and some calls including premium and info numbers, value added ser vices, operator assisted calls and data ser vices are excluded. Unused allowance expires monthly. Android is the trademark of Google, Inc. Registered trade mark of Telstra Corporation Limited. ABN 33 051 775 556. BWMTBU0673/HTC Thanks to the new $180 Unlimited Mobile PLUS plan, Ern doesnt need to pretend hes a corporate giant. Now, he gets the Android powered HTC Desire, unlimited calls and messages to most Australian numbers, 2.5GB of data for mobile and internet each month plus unlimited MessageBank diversion and retrieval. With all these benefi ts and more, Erns small business is getting a big business mobile deal. UNLIMITED MOBILE PLUS PLAN MIN COST $4,320 PLUS USAGE Telstra Business Centre Northern Territory 66 Coonawarra Rd Winnellie 1300 227 239CTelstra Business Centre Northern Territory TELSTRA.COM/BUSINESS | 1300 227 239 BIG BUSINESS BENEFITS FOR SMALL BUSINESS NEWS Cops deny burying bad news Officer probed in fraud case ByNADJAHAINKE As soon as I had theopportunity to discuss the media release and get one out, thats what we did POLICE denied yesterday they had buried the news of the suspension of a Territory officer by releasing it late on a Friday last week. A 34-year-old brevet sergeant from a remote Territory community is being investigated by the Australian Defence Department for fraud, involving offences against the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act. Police suspended the officer last Thursday night, pending the outcome of the investigation but it took them until 4.36pm the following day to make the matter public. Acting Deputy Commissioner Graham Kelly said he was responsible for the release of the matter but denied he had tried to bury the news. The answer is no, we didnt bury the story, he told ABC local radio. You can appreciate that we are working on that job with investigators from a Commonwealth agency. As soon as I had the opportunity to discuss the media release and get one out, thats what we did. Defence confirmed its investigation and said that a Darwin-based Army Reserve soldier was assisting Territory police in the matter. But no more information was available. As the investigation is ongoing, it is inappropriate for further comment on the matter, spokeswoman Emma Hollands said. TEST: An emergency services training exercise in Yarrawonga yesterday simulated a car bomb explosion at a supermarket which injured and killed dozens. Picture: NICK WELSH Mock blast raises plenty of eyebrows ByNADJAHAINKE PALMERSTON residents believed a major catastrophe had occurred in their backyard as dozens of emergency crews were in the region yesterday. But the disaster in Yarrawonga was really a big urban search and rescue exercise. St John Ambulance, police fire and emergency services and the national critical care and trauma response centre were put to the test when a mock car bomb went off at a shopping centre at about 9am. About 80 casualties, including volunteers and dummies, had to be retrieved from the collapsed building throughout the day. NTPFES district officer Rob Trewartha said terrorist attacks had become a fierce reality even in the Territory and emergency crews needed to be prepared. The exercise was funded by the National Counter Terrorism Committee. It was the first multiagency operation in the NT practising a terrorist attack. Mr Trewartha was happy with how the crews operated at the scene but said inter-agency communication needed to improve. We learnt a lot today but there is always room for improvement, he said. Yarrawonga Rd between Georgina Cres and Toupein Rd will be closed until 7am this morning to allow ongoing maneuvering of rescue equipment as part of the exercise.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.