The Northern Territory news Sat 23 Jan 2010
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
www.ntnews.com.au Northern Territory News, Saturday, January 23, 2010 13 P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 3 -J A N -2 0 1 0 P A G E : 1 3 C O L O R : K m g 3 0 0 6 1 9 NATION m g 3 0 0 6 2 6 "THE ONLY ONE IN DARWIN THAT SELLS ALL AUSTRALIAN SEAFOOD" MEGA SPECIALS ALL OZ LONG WEEK-END SATURDAYSUNDAYMONDAYTUESDAY SHED 5 FISHERMANS WHARFPH: 89412522 e r3 0 0 6 2 3 Defence in pay bungle CANBERRA: TheDefence department has admitted to another pay bungle affecting Australian soldiers serving in overseas conflicts such as Afghanistan. The department accidentally overpaid, between $2000 and $9000, international campaign allowances to 63 officers and soldiers who had returned recently fromoverseas. The overpayments will have to be repaid. Murder charges for wife ADELAIDE: Awoman accused of setting her husbands penis on fire will answer amurder charge inMarch. Rajini Narayan, 44, appeared briefly in the AdelaideMagistrates Court yesterday chargedwith murder, arson and endangering life. Themother of three allegedly set fire to the genitals of her husband, Satish Narayan, in December 2008. MrNarayan suffered major burns and died several weeks later. The fire also gutted the familys suburban $1 million Unley home. Crews contain spot fires ADELAIDE: Fire crews have contained blazes that were threatening homes in SAs Fleurieu Peninsula andBarossa Valley as lightning strikes sparked spot fires in the states southeast. Although South Australianswill have some respite from total fire bans today as temperatures dip to themid 20s, the fire danger could lift again tomorrow as temperatures rise to themid 30s. Stabmumwalks free Punished enough for killing her baby daughter, says judge ByWARWICKSTANLEY in Perth A WOMAN convicted of fatally stabbing her 15-month-old daughter has walked free from a Perth court after a judge said she had suffered enough. Nicole Frances Bryan, 23, stabbed her daughter Chenelle with a longbladed kitchen knife as she was cradled in the arms of her father, Geoffrey Miller, at their Dawesville home, in March last year. Yesterday, the Supreme Court was told the pair had a four-year history of domestic disputes in which Miller had been violent towards Bryan, but she seldom notified police and would not heed advice to lodge an official complaint against her de facto husband. She told police she had targeted Miller in the attack and accidentally stabbed her daughter. Bryan, who had been held in custody since the stabbing and sobbed in the dock throughout yesterdays sentencing hearing, cried and thanked Judge Stephen Hall as he handed down a two-year suspended sentence for manslaughter. In the gallery, her family and friends wept and embraced. Bryan, who has two other daughters, regained her composure before leaving the court. Her father, John Bryan, said he was grateful his daughter had avoided a jail term and urged families to work towards avoiding similar situations to his own. It starts way back, he said. It starts with bringing up our children. We are all responsible as a community and families to make an environment where children feel open, happy to talk about things. Justice Hall said Bryan had left herself in a hopeless situation after refusing to seek help during the violent relationship with Miller, who was convicted and sentenced for assault. He said she would have to live forever with her daughters death, and the knowledge that it could have been avoided if she had sought help to deal with her domestic situation. For a child to die at the hands of their parents is perhaps one of the most terrible events that one could imagine, Justice Hall said. He said being a good and devoted mother had been a focus of Bryans life. She had not been aware of the danger to her daughter when, affected by alcohol and tired and distraught, she had attacked Miller. This does not excuse or justify your actions, but it does explain it, he said. She had often covered up bruises inflicted by Miller in efforts to hide their dysfunctional relationship. HAPPY WEEK OLD: Melbourne Zoos new baby elephant is one week old. Mother Dokkoon let her yet-to-be-named baby lie down for a nap yesterday. Earlier in the day the awkward new born took a topple (right) as she ran around her enclosure FNQ residents in cyclonemode CAIRNS: Residents in the far north Queensland town of Cooktown have been stocking up on food and tarpaulins as forecasters predict the return of excyclone Neville over the weekend. Tony Auden, from the Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre in Brisbane, said the low about 280km east of Cape Melville was expected to merge with a second tropical low moving towards Queensland from the Solomon Islands at the weekend. The combined storm is expected to intensify to either a strong tropical low or category one cyclone as it approaches the coast near Cape Flattery, north of Cooktown, late tomorrow. Cook Shire mayor Peter Scott said residents were stocking up on food from the local supermarket and tarps from the hardware store in anticipation of the storms arrival. People are taking it seriously, he said.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au