The Northern Territory news Tue 22 Dec 2009
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
14 Northern Territory News, Tuesday, December 22, 2009 www.ntnews.com.au P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 2 -D E C -2 0 0 9 P A G E : 1 4 C O L O R : C M Y K Features $49 save $50 Limit 1 per customer. No Rainchecks. 9. CS11230_2212_NT Half price! While stocks last. NATION Bisleys ex tells court of assault ACCUSED: Actor Steve Bisley takes a break outside the Downing Centre where he is defending assault charges against his ex-wife, Sally Burleigh BySTEPHANIEGARDINER in Sydney ACTOR Steve Bisleys ex-wife has told a court all hell broke loose after he became abusive and pushed her up against a wall in her Sydney home. The 57-year-old actor, who appears in the television series Sea Patrol, has pleaded not guilty to one count each of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault. Police allege he assaulted his ex-wife, Sally Burleigh, on the evening of September 6 at her home in Balmain, in Sydneys inner west. Ms Burleigh told a hearing in Sydneys Downing Centre Local Court that Bisley had become abusive while they were in the bathroom on the second floor of the home and he tried to leave. I stood in front of him and he pushed me so hard that I fell against the wall, fell to the ground, was shaking ... and all hell broke loose, she told the hearing yesterday. Ms Burleigh said Bisley then walked down the stairs and she followed him, pushed him and told him to leave the house. He gets to the bottom of the stairs, he grabs my arm, pulls me down the stairs ... and pushed my head against the wall, she said. I fell to the floor and then he has his boot in the back of my neck. Ms Burleigh called triple-zero after the incident and told the court she was left with grazed elbows, a bruised hip, a sore neck and a headache. But she agreed with Bisleys barrister, Meredith Phelps, that she had not told police about everything that happened that night. You didnt tell police on the night at any time that you fell down on the edge of the stairs? Ms Phelps said. No, Ms Burleigh replied. Senior Constable Matthew Holt, who went to the house the next morning, said Ms Burleigh showed him indentations on the walls, and red marks on each of her elbows. (Ms Burleigh said) There are dents on the wall where he pushed me, I think thats how I got my marks on my elbows, he said. Other officers who went to the house on the night of the incident said her only injuries appeared to be small red marks on her elbows. Bisley, who has also appeared in Water Rats, Police Rescue, Frontline, GP and the film Mad Max, was accompanied to court by a number of supporters. Bailed for sons deaths retrial MELBOURNE: A man jailed for allegedly killing his three children by driving them into a dam has been granted bail ahead of a new trial. Victorias Court of Appeal last week quashed Robert Farquharsons conviction, ordering he undergo a fresh trial in the first half of 2010. The bail decision came after the court ruled there was a miscarriage of justice during his Supreme Court trial. Farquharson (pictured), 40, had appealed his sentence of life in jail with no parole for the murders of Jai, 10, Tyler, seven, and Bailey, two. He was accused of drowning the boys by driving them into a dam in Victorias southwest on Fathers Day 2005. He maintained his innocence, saying he had blacked out from a coughing fit before veering off the road into the dam.