The Northern Territory news Tue 22 Dec 2009
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
Nationwide News Pty. Limited
www.ntnews.com.au Northern Territory News, Tuesday, December 22, 2009 15 P U B : N T N E W S D A T E : 2 2 -D E C -2 0 0 9 P A G E : 1 5 C O L O R : C M Y K NATION Laurence gets big and blowy PERTH: Tropical Cyclone Laurence has been upgraded to a category five storm as it strengthens and moves closer to Western Australias Pilbara coast. The weather bureau said Laurence was intensifying as it moved south, less than 100km off Eighty Mile Beach. Destructive winds are lashing the coast, with gusts of 285km/h increasing a risk of dangerous storm tides. Laurence is estimated to be 75km north of Wallal and 240km northeast of Port Hedland, moving south at 6km/h. Communities from Sandfire Roadhouse to Pardoo and inland to Yarrie are on red alert and the Fire and Emergency Services Authority has issued a warning, urging them to immediately seek secure shelter. Twins go their separate ways MELBOURNE: Melbourne Royal Childrens Hospital staff have bid their two star patients, Trishna and Krishna, an emotional farewell as they left hospital, five weeks after being surgically separated. The twins were discharged from the hospital on Monday in time to celebrate their third birthday today. Last post as workers strike SYDNEY: Christmas cards and gifts posted after Monday may be trapped in industrial limbo, as postal workers begin a strike today that could last until Christmas Day. Australia Post is taking on casual workers to lessen the effects of the strike, and says three quarters of its workforce may turn up to work. Foxs husband denies child sex ADELAIDE: The husband of celebrated childrens author Mem Fox has denied child sex charges. Malcolm Arthur Fox, 64, appeared in the South Australian District Court yesterday and pleaded not guilty to three counts of unlawful sexual intercourse. The charges date back to 1984 when Fox, of suburban Brighton, was a French and drama teacher and relate to a boy aged 17 at the time. No charges yet on double death SYDNEY: It could be days before murder charges can be laid against a man who set himself on fire following the deaths of his father and a 12-year-old neighbour. Police caught up with Renzo Da-Pra on Sunday outside Fairfield Hospital, where he allegedly set fire to his petrol-soaked clothes and vehicle. New warning system for SA ADELAIDE: South Australia has launched a new phone-based bushfire and emergency warning system capable of sending up to 1000 voice messages every minute and 300 texts every second. The Emergency Alert system allows for alerts to be sent to mobile phones and landlines in the event of a life-threatening emergency. Family that speeds together BRISBANE: A woman was encouraging her son to speed when both were charged with dangerous driving on a busy Gold Coast road, police say. Officers on traffic duty on Seaworld Drive at The Spit at 11am (AEST) on Sunday allegedly saw two cars driving at up to 140km/h in the 60km/h zone. Officers learned they were being driven by a mother and son, aged 42 and 20. Superintendent Jim Keogh said the mother allegedly told police she was pushing her son, who was in the lead car, to see how fast he could go. Asylum blackmail says Abbott PERTH: The granting of asylum to two Sri Lankans involved in the Oceanic Viking stand-off shows the Government had been blackmailed into giving people what they wanted, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says. Mr Abbott, who was the guest of his deputy Julie Bishop in Perth yesterday, said Prime Minister Kevin Rudd had shown he was too ready to give away Australias sovereignty. No Hollow loss for eye charity SYDNEY: The Fred Hollows Foundation has denied a report that it lost $2 million in investments that went bad during the global financial crisis. It actually made a profit, it says. Fairfax newspapers said just over $271,000 was lost outright by the charity, while a further $1.8 million was stripped from the value of the charitys investments. The money had been invested with merchant bank Goldman Sachs JBWere in 2008 despite some opposition from international board members of the Fred Hollows Foundation, Fairfax reported yesterday. But the chief executive of the Fred Hollows Foundation, Brian Doolan, has denied the investments were risky, and says the money has since been recovered. Man in custody for 6yo boys death TRAGEDY: Six-year-old Bangoang Tut was killed while playing in the front yard of his home MELBOURNE: A 25-year-old man has been remanded in custody over an alleged alcohol-fuelled crash that killed a six-year-old boy in his own front yard. Gary Edward Ryan, 25, has been charged with culpable driving over the crash that killed Bangoang Tut, who was playing in the front yard of his home in Victorias southeast. Mr Ryan did not appear in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court yesterday, and his lawyer did not apply for bail on his behalf. Police allege Mr Ryan crashed his Holden Commodore through the front fence of the Crinigan Rd house at Morwell at about 7pm (AEDT) on Sunday. They allege he was driving with a blood alcohol level of .109, more than twice the legal limit, when he lost control and hit the boy and three others standing in the front yard. Bangoang was taken to Latrobe Regional Hospital but died a short time later. His mother and two teenage boys were also taken to Latrobe hospital with minor injuries. Ryans passenger, believed to be aged in his 20s, also received minor injuries. Bangoangs uncle said his nephew was a friendly child, especially to his neighbours and classmates. Speaking on the familys behalf, he relayed the shock the event had caused his family, neighbourhood and wider community. The sheer unexpectedness and tragedy of this situation has been difficult to bear, he said. He said the family moved to Australia in 2005 to escape war-torn Sudan. They had happily settled into Australia, becoming Australian citizens in 2007. He said Bangoang, a Morwell Primary School student, received a report card this year praising his good effort and excellent behaviour. The uncle urged the community to respect the familys privacy as they came to terms with their loss. Ryan was remanded in custody to reappear in the same court on March 16. Police will prepare a report for the coroner. Police superintendent Neville Taylor said the crash was a tragedy, and that lives had been destroyed by it. e r2 6 0 2 0 6
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au