Territory Stories

Annual Report 2018-2019 Essential Services Commission of South Australia



Annual Report 2018-2019 Essential Services Commission of South Australia

Other title

Tabled paper 1481


Tabled Papers for 13th Assembly 2016 - 2020; Tabled Papers; ParliamentNT






Made available by the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory under Standing Order 240. Where copyright subsists with a third party it remains with the original owner and permission may be required to reuse the material.




Tabled papers

Publisher name

Department of the Legislative Assembly

Place of publication


File type




Copyright owner

See publication



Parent handle


Citation address


Page content

ESCOSA Annual Report 201819 18 The Commission also publishes an enforcement policy, which provides guidance on the criteria and processes it uses in determining the type of enforcement action required on a case-by-case basis. The Commissions compliance framework was utilised over 2018-19 to undertake target compliance action to address non-compliance. In these circumstances, the Commission sought to remediate adverse customer outcomes caused by the non-compliance and drive behavioural change within the non-complying retailer. Ongoing monitoring of the performance of these retailers continues. In summary, the Commission addressed the following compliance matters during the 2018-19 reporting year: Failure to adequately provide required training, which required training to be implemented. Incorrect notifications regarding planned interruptions, which required system and process upgrades. Non-compliance with technical requirements of the National Electricity Law, which were addressed by the national agencies. Administrative errors associated with regulatory reporting. The Commission has liaised with the relevant entities directly about the matters of noncompliance and these have been satisfactorily resolved. Power Line Environment Committee The Power Line Environment Committee recommends to the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy projects to underground electricity power lines (in accordance with the Electricity (General) Regulations 2012). SA Power Networks carries out this work. The programs prescribed funding from SA Power Networks, for work to be carried out during 201819, was $7.07 million. The total funding, including Councils contributions, is $10.61 million. To meet this funding requirement, the Committee approved six projects for undergrounding four kilometres of existing overhead cables. Projects in the metropolitan area account for 51 percent of funding, with projects in regional areas accounting for the remaining 49 percent. The Commission provides administrative support to the Committee. The Commissions website contains further information on the Power Line Environment Committee, including its charter and annual report. Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme The Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme (REES) is a South Australian Government energy efficiency scheme that provides incentives for South Australian households and small businesses to save energy. It does this through establishing energy efficiency and energy audit targets that electricity and gas retailers must meet. The Commission administers REES and reports to the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy annually on retailers progress in achieving the required targets. REES 2018 outcomes The REES outcomes for the 2018 calendar year were: The overall annual REES targets were achieved and all obliged retailers except one met their individual targets. Approximately 2 million GJ of deemed energy savings were delivered to the 21,600 households and businesses benefitting from the REES. Approximately 317,000 GJ of deemed energy savings were delivered to 12,800 households in the Priority Group. Approximately 52,000 energy efficiency activities were delivered and 348,000 energy efficient products installed. Some REES highlights since REES commenced in 2009 include: Approximately 15 million GJ of deemed energy savings delivered. Approximately four million GJ of deemed energy savings and 58,000 energy audits delivered to approximately 177,000 households in the Priority Group. http://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/580/130905-EnforcementPolicy_V2-5.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y http://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/580/130905-EnforcementPolicy_V2-5.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y http://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/industry/electricity/plec http://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/industry/electricity/plec http://www.escosa.sa.gov.au/industry/electricity/plec/plec-resources