Territory Stories

Sunday Territorian 5 May 2019



Sunday Territorian 5 May 2019


Sunday Territorian; NewspaperNT




This publication contains may contain links to external sites. These external sites may no longer be active.




Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

Nationwide News Pty. Limited

Place of publication


File type



Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

Nationwide News Pty. Limited



Parent handle


Citation address


Page content

54 SPORT SUNDAY MAY 5 2019 NTNE01Z01MA - V2 Q U E E N S L A N D c a p t a i n Samu Kerevi would love to wipe the slate clean after one of the Reds uglier wins. But he says they must take lessons from the scrappy 32-26 defeat of the Sunwolves that at one stage saw 14 playing 12. Five yellows and a red card were handed out by referee Angus Gardner at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, with the Reds copping the sole straight red when Harry Hockings boot caught an opponent late in the clash. All but one of the remaining cards came when the Sunwolves illegally slowed the Reds progress or were caught offside the other was for a marginal high tackle with Brad Thorn clearly annoyed by the tactics. The victory puts Queensland just two points behind Australian conference leaders Melbourne into second and ahead of the Waratahs on the live standings. Kerevi is buoyed to be in the finals conversation but frustrated they have made things so hard for themselves. I feel like a broken record, but the leaders need to put our foot down because the little things are killing us, he said. Well take that win, but weve got to really learn because its starting to get to that point in the season where were either there or were not. Thorn was sympathetic of the officials but critical of his sides game management as the Sunwolves gave away a mammoth 18 penalties. Rather than throw the ball wide to exploit their numerical advantage, the Reds opted for their much-vaunted scrum and rolling mauls only to lose possession. Its silly just to keep things battling away; Id like to think weve got other weaponry, he said of their lack of creativity. Vaea Fifita, of the Hurricanes, scores a try during the Round 12 Super Rugby match against the Rebels at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand Picture: GETTY Fowler back for Fever in grand final re-match WEST Coast Fever will be without captain Courtney Bruce for todays grand final rematch against Sunshine Coast, but star shooter Jhaniele Fowler (pictured) has been cleared to play. Bruce injured her wrist during last weeks one-goal loss to Adelaide, and failed in her bid to be given the green light to play against Sunshine Coast. Fowler rolled her ankle against Adelaide, but has been able to prove her fitness at training this week. Obviously we would love to have Courtney on the court for (todays) game, but one of our groups strengths is that we have 10 players who can impact the game, Fever coach Stacey Marinkovich said. Were hopeful that Courtney will be available for selection next week. However, she will again need to pass a fitness test before we travel to Sydney. Jhaniele has worked in credibly hard with our medical staff since last week, so were excited to have her on court this weekend. The Lightning beat Fever 62-59 in last seasons grand final in Perth. Both teams lost last week, and will be aiming to bounce back at RAC Arena. Classic game of shifting fortunes THE Wellington-based Hurricanes hung on in a classic game of two halves to beat the Melbourne Rebels 29-19 in Super Rugby yesterday. The Hurricanes scored four tries to lead 26-0 after only 21 minutes and maintained that lead at halftime. But the Rebels mounted a concerted comeback in the second half, scoring three tries of their own to cut the lead to 26-19. The Hurricanes needed a late penalty to Jordie Barrett, and a missed penalty by Rebels flyhalf Quade Cooper to hold on to a winning lead. It was a classic game of two halves, Hurricanes captain Beauden Barrett said. Id hate to see the territory stats in the second half. Its great to see us scoring first-phase tries. It was frustrating in the second half but well learn from it. The Hurricanes started almost as rapidly as in their previous match against the Hamilton-based Chiefs, when they led 14-0 after six minutes. They needed eight minutes to hit the 14-point mark but went on to lead 19-0 after 15 minutes and 26-0 after 21 minutes as the Rebels defence faltered. Hurricanes ball-carriers rampaged downfield, knocking tacklers out of the way. In the fifth minute a surge into Rebels territory saw Barrett in possession near touch and 40m from the posts. He handed the ball to centre Ngani Laumape who cut through the Rebels defence before touching down under the posts. Barrett scored himself three minutes later. The Hurricanes won an attacking lineout and quickly moved the ball to Barrett running wide in the backline who accelerated through the already broken defence. The second 20 minutes of the first half became scrappy as the Rebels began to grab a foothold in the game. By halftime the Rebels had made half as many tackles as the Hurricanes but missed twice as many, explaining the scoreboard disparity. The tide changed in the second half; the Rebels began to make more tackles and the Hurricanes missed more as the weight of possession changed from one side to the other. The Rebels scored through lock Matt Philip who burst through the defence and again through hard-working centre Billy Meakes, making the score 26-14 after 67 minutes. When the Rebels scored three minutes later they had the chance to close within seven points with 10 minutes remaining, but Cooper kicked his conversion attempt wide of the left-hand upright. Cooper then missed a penalty in front of the posts with a minute left which meant the Rebels needed to score twice to win. Lessons for Reds in ugly triumph Firebirds, Magpies thriller ends in draw THE Queensland Firebirds and Collingwood have christened a new stadium with a memorable finish in a 57-57 Super Netball draw. Both teams had control of yesterdays contest at various stages of a thrilling battle, before Firebirds defender Tara Hinchliffe helped her side to grab a share of the competition points before 4578 spectators at the Queensland State Netball Centre. Collingwood led by a goal for much of the final term but Hinchliffe stepped up with an intercept and a handful of deflections. Firebirds goal attack Gretel Tippett (pictured) had 26 goals from 27 attempts while the Magpies Shimona Nelson had 42 goals at 89 per cent. Collingwoods well-drilled line-up was unruffled until a bloodied lip, split in a collision with Hinchliffe, forced their prized recruit Nat Medhurst off the court. While the goal attack was being treated, momentum tipped back in favour of the home side. Replacement goaler Ga brielle Sinclair, in just her second game, couldnt orchestrate the same harmony as Medhurst. Powered by slick shooting combination Romelda Aiken and Tippett, the Firebirds built a nine-goal advantage towards the end of the first half. DAMIEN STANNARD MURRAY WENZEL