The Northern Territory news Thu 20 Feb 2020
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 20 2020 NEWS 05 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Unions thrilled with compo bill UNION members have welcomed workers compensation reforms which recognise posttraumatic stress disorder among police and emergency services personnel. The Return to Work Bill, introduced to parliament yesterday, aims to reverse changes made by the previous CLP government. United Voice NT branch secretary Erina Early said she personally knew a paramedic who was struggling with PTSD but had his workers compensation claims rejected last year. Searchers find womans body POLICE have found the body of a woman, believed to be that of Llana Tarrant, who was reported missing by her family late on Tuesday. A police spokeswoman said the death was not being treated as suspicious. Police put out an alert yesterday morning seeking help from the public to find the 56year-old Alice Springs woman. Ms Tarrant, also known as Llana St Clair, was last seen by family on Monday, February 17. A report is being prepared for the Coroner. Reforms dismay tenants group A TERRITORY tenancy advocate group has criticised the Government for not going far enough with rental reforms. Tenants Advice Service managing solicitor Tamara Spence said she was disappointed the Government did not establish an independent bond authority. We would have also liked to see greater protections for domestic violence victims to get out of tenancy agreements with their abusive partners without having to go to court, she said. 266 cleared to go as another 200 flown in GARY SHIPWAY firstname.lastname@example.org MORE than 200 Australians who have been aboard a coronavirus-infected cruise ship near Tokyo are expected to touch down in Darwin today. The Australian and New Zealand passengers aboard the Diamond Princess are expected to arrive at 8.30am. Once cleared through RAAF Base Darwin and given masks and blue protective gowns they will spend the next 14 days at Howard Springs in quarantine. Hundreds of people who have tested negative and met a set of other conditions were allowed to disembark in Tokyo yesterday. Concerns have been raised that allowing these passengers to disembark and use Yokohama public buses to train stations and taxi ranks presented a risk. University of New South Wales infectious disease specialist Professor Raina MacIntyre warned that it increased the risk of a local outbreak. Given the increasing number of infections on the ship, we should assume there was ongoing exposure to the virus, she said, highlighting a finding that 70 per cent of positive tests from those on board come from people without symptoms. Foreign governments are stepping in after the failure of a quarantine order that was placed on the ship by Japan. About 550 of 3711 passengers and crew have contracted coronavirus so far. People who tested positive, including 36 Australians, are being treated at hospitals onshore. The United States evacuated 328 of its Diamond Princess passengers on Monday and a South Korean charter flight took a small group yesterday. Canada, Italy, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, Taiwan and Israel are also sending planes. About 180 Australians who agreed to the evacuation were visited in their cabins yesterday for pre-flight screening. The new evacuees to Darwin will be kept separate to the 266 people who had been flown out of Wuhan via Christmas Island on February 9. Those earlier evacuees will be released from quaran tine on Sunday. We will be flying the people out for free, a Qantas spokesman told the NT News. Everyone will be flown to the major city airport nearest to where their home is. Professor Len Notaras, the executive director of the National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre, which co-ordinates AUSMAT deployments, said all 266 Wuhan evacuees had been given the all-clear. There are 77 children among the evacuees, including 11 infants. They will be flying on normal domestic flights on Sunday, Prof Notaras said. We flew 36 people home from Christmas Island yesterday and those in Darwin from the February 9 flight are good to go home. A bus carrying passengers from the quarantined Diamond Princess leaves port in Yokohama Picture: AP/EUGENE HOSHIKO BEST STEAK RESTAURANT 2017, 2018 & 2019 NT GOLD PLATE AWARD WINNER Enjoy a night lagoon-side with an unrivalled menu that features a selection of Australias finest signature grass and grain fed steaks. Phone Restaurant Reservations on 8943 8940 to book or visit mindilbeachcasinoresort.com.au j., ~ COVE '--/
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au