Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 20 Feb 2020

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 20 Feb 2020

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2020-02-20

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/756697

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/788847

Page content

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 20 2020 NEWS 09 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA MINISTER for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt has flagged concerns about a push to introduce a blanket youth curfew in Alice Springs. Mr Wyatt, who was in Darwin yesterday, told the NT News he was aware of ongoing concerns about crime in Alice Springs but doubted a youth curfew would solve it. I grew up in a period when there were curfews. Under policies of the 50s, they were effective of getting people off the streets but it was a measure that you didnt need to apply on a blanket basis, he said. You can deal with individuals on a case-by-case management basis. I think they need to Tapp cooks up Top Ends best JUDITH AISTHORPE judith.aisthorpe@news.com.au TERRITORY MasterChef star Lynton Tapp will again bring some of our best produce to national attention when he competes in the next all star edition of the juggernaut cooking show. Tapp, who was runner-up in season 5 will be among the 24 contestants looking to prove they have what it takes. Tapp has made a name for himself since the competition, hosting several cooking TV shows and working in some of Australias top restaurants. While he can serve hun dreds easily, Tapp said he wasnt match ready for other facets of the comp. Tapp said any opportunity he got he would be cooking up Territory foods. Any opportunity I get to cook barra or get Territory beef or magpie goose, I will, I love talking about it, he said. Lynton Tapp is back on MasterChef Picture: NETWORK 10 Police seek help on break-ins at store POLICE are calling on the public to come forward with information in relation to two break-ins at the Batchelor General Store last week. About 3.20am on Thursday, two offenders broke into the store and stole 10 cartons of cigarettes. CCTV footage showed the pair covered their faces and were wearing dark-coloured clothing and white gloves. About 4.30am the next day, two offenders broke into the same store and stole multiple phones from the property. CCTV footage showed the offenders were teenage boys with thin builds and dark complexions. They had also covered their heads and were wearing white gloves. Sergeant Paul Parkanyi said Batchelor was a small town so someone must know something. Anyone who knows the identity of the offenders or who has knowledge of stolen cigarettes and mobile phones is urged to come forward, he said. Anyone with information is being urged to contact police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. One of the offenders Youth curfew wont solve crime issue NATASHA EMECK natasha.emeck@news.com.au look for solutions that are going to benefit the whole of the community, thats whats important. He said it was important to emphasise that not all crime was committed by indigenous youth. Former CLP candidate and Alice Springs councillor Jacinta Price agreed a curfew would fail because the town lacked the resources and the infrastructure to enforce it. I can see the communities getting upset over this, she said. It would only work if there was a good working model behind it, that works together with parents but we dont have that framework. I dont think we had the infrastructure to enforce a curfew right now either. Independent Member for Araluen Robyn Lambley launched a petition last month to keep kids under 16 off the streets of Alice Springs between 10pm and 5am. People clearly want a curfew they have had enough of this relentless crime wave we have been experiencing in Alice Springs, she said. The Alice Springs council knocked back bringing in a year-long trial youth curfew in December. Ken Wyatt FOOD RECALL Viva Foods Ltd apologises to their customers for any inconvenience caused by this recall and if further information is required about the recall they are invited to call the Toll-free Customer Service number: 1800 103 515 Viva Foods Ltd wishes to advise customers it is conducting a recall on the above product. Problem: The product is being recalled due to the possible presence of an undeclared allergen (peanut). Food Safety Hazard: Potential presence of an undeclared allergen (peanut). What to do: Consumers should return it to their nearest Woolworths Supermarket for a full refund. Consumers who have a peanut allergy or intolerance should not consume this product. Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice. The recall applies to all batches. No other products are afected by this recall. Jamie Oliver Green Pesto 190g WP170220PRB


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.