The Northern Territory news Mon 16 Mar 2020
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
MONDAY MARCH 16 2020 NEWS 11 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Bali party still going AS the killer virus sweeps throughout the world, the beach clubs and restaurants on the holiday island of Bali remain party central for young Aussies despite the island being shockingly unprHepared to handle a mass outbreak of COVID-19. On Saturday night 600 people including dozens of Aussies danced on tables, kissed and cavorted at the Australian owned Motel Mexicola club in Seminyak. Indonesia has reported 100 confirmed cases of the contagion with five deaths but unofficially it is understood to run into thousands. Indonesias minister of transportation Budi Karya Sumadi has tested positive and is undergoing hospital treatment. The head of Balis health services, Mr Ketut Suaraja, has all but admitted the island is woefully unprepared to handle mass outbreaks. This is a new virus. In Bali we do not have the ability to detect it. All provinces in Indonesia have not been able to, so they (tests) must be sent to Jakarta, Mr Suaraja said. When people show symptoms and present at hospital they are isolated in the hospital, however, it is understood that hundreds of people are nursing symptoms at home. Thermal scanners at the airport have led to 120 people being refused a visa at Bali immigration and returned to their home country. Diagnostic testing requires every sample to be sent to Jakarta, which is the only place in the whole of Indonesia that has the appropriate equipment to discover COVID-19. Apart from a mass disinfectant treatment, the government has enforced no daily protocols upon hotels, restaurants, beach clubs or other destinations that attract tourists. Guests appear oblivious to the practice of social distancing. Enforced quarantine for overseas arrivals JASON WALLS ALL overseas visitors to Australia will have to self-isolate for 14 days while cruise ships will be banned from all Australian ports for at least 30 days due to the nations unfolding coronavirus crisis. NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner joined his interstate counterparts and Prime Minister Scott Morrison in a national cabinet meeting yesterday where the leaders also agreed to ban all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people until further notice. Despite the escalating number of infections in the eastern states which saw the number of cases throughout the nation rise above 300 yesterday, there has still only been a single confirmed case of COVID-19 in the NT a tourist from NSW. Speaking after the meeting yesterday, Mr Gunner said this meant the Territory was ahead of the game when it came to responding to the pandemic. The Territory is well prepared and ahead of the game, but we take nothing for granted the health of Territorians come first, he said. There is no community spread of the virus in the Territory to date, and we are taking these further actions now to reduce the risk to the community as much as possible. We will continue to work round the clock and act swiftly to protect Territorians. Government schools in the NT and throughout the na tion will remain open with social distancing such as limiting physical contact and regular hand washing encouraged. Mr Morrison said school closures had been considered but the experts advised they could have a negative impact by exposing children to the wider community and risk disrupting the availability of critical healthcare workers as they look after their children at home. Despite the crackdown, Mr Morrison warned Australians to expect further restrictions and intrusions into their daily lives as the government took further steps to stem the spread of the disease. Were going to have to get used (to) some, or more, changes over the next six months or so, he told reporters in Sydney after the phone hook-up with state and territory leaders. There will be further in trusions, further restrictions on peoples movement and their behaviour. Mr Gunner said SecureNT would develop a risk assessment tool within the next 24 hours to help organisations judge the clinical risk associated with any public events to determine whether they should go ahead. A quick and simple process for assessing an event, as well as a hotline for businesses and organisations, will be available from tomorrow, he said. The security and emer gency management subcommittee of cabinet will convene today to plan the next steps in the NTs response while the national cabinet is due to meet again tomorrow evening. We will continue to take advice from Australias Chief Medical and Health Officers as the situation evolves, Mr Gunner said. Prime Minister Scott Morrison outlines new restrictions and advice on how to deal with COVID-19 Picture: RICHARD DOBSON Competition commences 14/03/2020 at 00:01am (ACST) and concludes 28/03/2020 at 11:59pm (ACST). Winners will be drawn on 30/03/2020 at 10:00am (ACST). Individual prize pool valued at $5,726 (incl. GST). Total prize pool is valued at $11,452 (Inc. GST). To enter and for full competition terms and conditions visit ntnews.com.au/competitions. NT permit No: TLP1081. The NT News is giving you the chance to win flights for two from Darwin to Cairns plus 2 nights accommodation at the luxury 5 star Pullman Reef Hotel Casino and 2 nights accommodation at the Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort and Spa including breakfast and drink vouchers. Two prizes to be won! Want to get away for a long weekend? To enter visit: ntnews.com.au/competitions and enter todays codeword WIN a Cairnsgetaway TODAYS CODEWORD: PALM COVE ~ I ~ I alrnorth ---~ F_'Ull_ m o _ri ... ...... ... '" I NT .. News We'refor~
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au