Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 16 Mar 2020

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 16 Mar 2020

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2020-03-16

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/795942

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/799008

Page content

10 NEWS MONDAY MARCH 16 2020 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Hanks fails to infect movies cast and crew ISOLATED Hollywood star Tom Hanks may have an infectious smile but at least he hasnt passed on coronavirus. Hanks and his wife, singer Rita Wilson, are quarantined in a Gold Coast hospital after testing positive to COVID-19. He is in Australia to film Baz Luhrmanns biopic on Elvis Presley at Village Roadshow Studios. A representative for the production said no cast or crew had come down with the virus although production had ceased for two weeks. Parents need to be open about health risks KEEPING a safe distance, using basic hygiene etiquette and listening to the facts is advice given to children in dealing with and preventing the spread of coronavirus. Education Department acting chief executive Leanne Nixon said curiosity may bring children to ask questions about coronavirus and it was important for parents to give straight answers. If a child brings up coronavirus or asks questions, it is important to acknowledge how they may be feeling and to answer questions as honestly as possible, she said. This will help them feel informed and understand what is happening. Ms Nixon said they were ensuring children were safe and reassured. The priority for schools is continuing to deliver education in a safe and supportive environment, she said. (We are) providing timely updates to schools to distribute to families and staff which is aligned to the advice that is coming from the Australian Government. Stuart Park Primary students Hamish Samuels, 10, and his sister Abigail, 7, do their bit to stop the virus Picture: GLENN CAMPBELL THE Palmerston Game Fishing Clubs annual flagship Barra Nationals tournament has been postponed due to coronavirus and will now likely not return until next year. In a post to the events Facebook page over the weekend, organisers said it was with great sadness we announce the postponement of Barra comp on rocks JASON WALLS jason.walls1@news.com.au this years beloved Barra Nationals. The safety of competitors, the ongoing viability of the tournament and the likelihood of disruption means we have to put off the event until further notice, the post reads. The risk to competitors and the tournament is just too great. Despite the announcement being described as a postponement, the club officials said the Nationals would now likely be slotted in for a return in 2021 with teams provided a full refund on entry fees. This decision was not taken lightly and made at this time to try to give everyone as much time as possible to adjust and also provide teams a full refund on entry fees paid, the post reads. Our thoughts are with those teams who had made significant arrangements to be able to attend this years tournament and special thoughts also go out for our enduring hosts Wally and Kerri at the Banyan Farm. These wonderful people have been hit hard by this development and any help and support were able to rally for them in the coming months would be fantastic. The post said almost every team and many of the sponsors had been informed of the events cancellation and thanked them for their overwhelming support for our difficult decision. Moving forward all current teams will be eligible for entry into next years Barra Nationals, it reads. From the discussions so far there is already a lot of enthusiasm for 2021 and after a year off competitors will likely be jumping out of their skin. COVID-19 you mongrel! Cattlemen conference cancelled THE NT Cattlemens Association wants the NT Government to provide one-off grants to event organisers that have had to cancel or postpone their events due to the advice around COVID-19. The NTCA is the latest in a rapidly growing list of coronavirus victims. It has had to cancel its popular annual conference scheduled for Alice Springs on March 26 and 27. The event had more than 500 registrations, which will be carried over to 2021. NTCA chief executive officer Ashley Manicaros said conference cancellations would have financial consequences for a host of NT businesses which is why the association fed its grants proposal into the Chamber of Commerce and also directly to NT Government officials. The NTCA postponed its annual conference last Friday due to the changing circumstances and individual organisations placing travel bans on their workers, Mr Manicaros, said yesterday Cancelling two weeks out means we will take a huge hit financially as will our suppliers. Attendees and sponsors will be seeking refunds and we are working with them. Suppliers yet to be paid will also be chasing cost recovery. Extra budget help on table TREASURER Josh Frydenberg has promised to undertake whatever measures are needed to support the economy in the face of the coronavirus when he hands down his second budget on May 12. Last week the Government announced a $17.6 billion stimulus package aimed at businesses being able to keep their staff employed. *Limited to one redemption per eligible member per week. Offer ends 11.59pm AEST on 31 December, 2020 or while stocks last. New discount codes available weekly during the offer period. Australian residents only. Discount code valid for orders placed between 9.00am AEDT on 4 March, 2019 and 11.59pm AEST on 31 December, 2020. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Weekly discount code is valid for a single use only during the promotion period. Offer not redeemable for cash and not transferable. Discount excludes Postage, Magazine Subscriptions and Gift Certificates. Booktopia full terms and conditions apply. Enjoy an extra 10% off at Booktopia thanks to Rewards. Conditions apply* ntnews.com.au/rewards +Rewards Members can redeem at 20 fixture | crystal ball | supercoach Think you know Nat Fyfe, think you know the dual Brownlow medallist, think again dimmas dynasty The Tigers are on the verge of greatness a saint REBORn The pain driving Brett Ratten daRE tO BEliEvE Cripps, Walsh and the Blues revolution life of fyfe FOOTY20 Magazine Present this token at a participating newsagents and other stores to buy the Footy20 Magazine for $4.95. Strictly while stocks last.* *Paper + Magazine max $7.45. FOOTY20 Magazine available with purchase of the NT News and the Sunday Territorian (RRP $2.50) on 29/02/20 to 1/04/20, while stocks last. Available at participating newsagents and other stores in NT. One magazine per original token from hardcopy (not digital) newspaper only. For more information visit ntnews.com.au/footy20 TOKEN--- --- ---. - . I I I I I NT,.News I NT~News + Rewards We'refortpw


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.