Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 11 Jun 2020

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 11 Jun 2020

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2020-06-11

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/803411

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/803586

Page content

38 SPORT THURSDAY JUNE 11 2020 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Citys clubs eager to get back onto court NATHANIEL CHAMBERS DARWINS basketball clubs are ready to finally take to the courts to compete in the 2020 Darwin Basketball Championship. While the arrival of imports across the womens and mens league teams has been limited due to COVID-19, this season is expected to be a highly competitive showcase of Darwin talent. Starting the mens side of the draw will be Essington and Ansett from 7pm tonight, with both teams adding plenty of firepower to their ranks. 2019 Championship MVP Fred Williams is among An setts newest additions, with his previous club reigning champions Razzle not fielding a mens league side this year. Its been really weird as weve had such a condensed time to get in shape, but Im excited to get out there with a new group and to be able to play basketball, Williams told the NT News. Its funny because when you think of a competitive season you expect quite a few imports but here its the opposite where were seeing a lot of old faces making a return to add to that depth. Essington captain Lachlan Shipway expects his Cannons to be right in the mix this season. Were really keen to get back out there and have had some extra interest from some senior players coming back to the game this season, Shipway said. Its really cool to see our addition of Raymond Jarrett in training. Hes starting to gel well with the rest of us like our other import Elijah Barbour. Our game with Ansett will be one of those games that will really come down to our bench and juniors if both starting fives go well. On the womens side of the draw, eyes will be on the continuing saga of Tracy Village versus Lightning. Jets were indomitable, winning title after title until Lightning swept in to take the Challenge season and the Championship in 2019. Lightnings Kirra HillCarter expects to be at the pointy end of the competition once again, with the everpresent competition from Jets pushing them all the way. It should be a pretty competitive season especially with Jets, she said. When theyre competitive they push us to be as well and were really hungry to get a second championship on our belt. But Jetss Lauren Flane gan said her side was as eager as ever to return to the top of Darwin basketball. Weve been looking good in training and will be looking to a few of our junior players to come in as well Michelle Ellis from Alice Springs, she said. It will be a good competition with the teams looking quite even this year but were obviously quite keen to get that Championship back and will do whatever we can to take it. Neither Eagles or Palmerston Power have entered a womens league side this season due to the effects of COVID-19. The 2020 Darwin Basketball Championship starts tonight. Pictured are Lauren Flanegan (Tracy Village), Kirra Hill-Carter (Lightning), Fred Williams (Ansett) and Lachlan Shipway (Essington) Picture: CHE CHORLEY AFL TV deal looks set to take big hit from virus MICHAEL WARNER TALKS over a revamped AFL TV rights deal are going down to the wire. Despite league boss Gillon McLachlan declaring last week that therell be no problems in securing a revised broadcast agreement, a deal is yet to be struck. But a network insider last night said all parties remained hopeful a resolution would be reached before tonights Collingwood-Richmond season reboot at the MCG. Broadcast partners Channel 7 and Foxtel are pushing for a reduction of about $150 million on their 2020 payments because of a season heavily compromised by the COVID-19 crisis. Discounts of about $40 million for 2021 and 2022 are also being sought, while a proposed two-year extension for seasons 2023 and 2024 now appears unlikely. The rival NRL relaunched its season on May 28, locking away an extended new TV rights deal the same day. The reworked AFL TV agreement will be crucial in determining the financial health of the game, cash distributions to all 18 clubs and job losses across the competition. The AFL Players Association will not enter into talks over proposed player pay cuts for next year until a new contract is signed. Before the coronavirus crisis hit, the league pocketed an average of $417 million-ayear in TV rights as part of a six-year, $2.5 billion deal that expires at the end of 2022. This years payment is expected to fall below $300 million. TV cash accounts for about 62 per cent of the AFL industrys total revenues. It emerged yesterday the AFLPA has asked the league to detail how much it intends to draw down on a $600 million line of credit secured from banks after the season was shut down in March. Bacon quits as CEO but sees exciting future for softball to embrace opportunities NICKY Bacon has announced her resignation as CEO of Softball NT and will finish in her role tomorrow. Her departure comes after a sustained period of growth and development in the sport with record participation, especially among indigenous women in remote communities right across the Territory. It also comes as Darwin Softball League is scheduled to start its 2020 season this weekend, Darwin games to commence this Saturday, coinciding with World Softball Day. Bacon has played softball for over 30 years and represented the sport at state and national level, as well as a stint playing for US colleges in Florida and North Carolina. In addition, she has contributed as both a manager and coach to many international programs for Softball Australia. In 2018-19, she was an NTIS scholarship athlete. In 2013, she became CEO of Softball NT and has since in creased participation in the sport exponentially. Bacon believes she is leaving the organisation in a solid position. My departure will provide the organisation with opportunities for new and fresh ideas to be generated to help it move forward through what lies ahead, she said. I will be leaving the sport in a strong position for my successor to take it into its next phase, which Im sure will be an exciting one. I have loved every moment of my time with SNT the travel, the people, the programs and watching it develop into its current strong standing in the community. I am so proud of what I and the sport of softball have achieved here in the NT and there are so many great things still to come. Recruitment for Bacons successor is currently underway. She will continue to be involved in softball in the NT as a player and coach.