Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thu 16 Jul 2020

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thu 16 Jul 2020

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2020-07-16

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application\pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/805874

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/806638

Page content

THURSDAY JULY 16 2020 NEWS 11 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Mills clears up stance on testing SARAH MATTHEWS sarah.matthews1@news.com.au TERRITORY Alliance leader Terry Mills has released a statement regarding his comments about COVID-19 testing, saying the comments were not directed to frontline workers. Mr Mills said at a press conference on Tuesday that all visitors should be tested prior to leaving their departure state and again upon entering the NT community. He said it was by sheer luck the NT had not been hit by a major wave of coronavirus. In a statement, released yesterday, Mr Mills said his comment was not in any way directed to frontline workers. Our Police, Defence personnel, nurses and health professionals have done a great job, he said. Territorians stood up and responded well to the extraordinary challenge. I do not apologise for holding the view that we need to have a higher rate of testing. It comes after Chief Minister Michael Gunner slammed Mr Mills initial comments through his Facebook page last night, saying, Mr Mills should be ashamed of what he said and say sorry for it. Alliance leader Terry Mills. NT company Ostojic Group has been awarded the tender to do the latest round of upgrades at Litchfield National Park. The upgrades form Stage Three of the NT governments $17.5 million Litchfield Central Valley project, which aims to make more parts of the national park accessible for more of the year. Judge calls on cops to bring case A MAGISTRATE has questioned police over why it has taken so long to deliver a brief of evidence for a mother facing manslaughter charges over the drowning deaths of her two young sons. Leeann Eatts faces 14 charges, including two counts of manslaughter, over the deaths of Jhulio Sariago, 3, and Barak Austral, 5, in the Ross River in February 2019. More than a year later, police are yet to present a brief of evidence against Ms Eatts who is on bail. Prosecutors asked for an adjournment on the brief at the Townsville Magistrates Court on Tuesday, ABC reported. They said it would take until mid-September to finalise and had been delayed because officers are analysing intercepted information and recordings. Magistrate Ross Mack suggested the brief be fast-tracked. It seems to be inconsistent with appropriate and/or prompt investigation that you need to wait 14 months to then decide that you want an intercept transcribed, he said. The matter was adjourned to Friday. ADF signs $65m hi-tech deal THE Australian Defence Force will enhance surveillance and air battlespace capability in a new $65 million partnership. Defence Industry Minister Melissa Price said the contract with Australian-owned Daronmont Technologies would create 10 positions and support the Mobile Control and Reporting Centre in Darwin. Litchfield tourism boom Local firms in $17.5m job to open up more area for visitors SARAH MATTHEWS sarah.matthews1@news.com.au Stage Three includes the construction of a new 4WD access track, two loop roads to the campsites and 10 new campsites within the northern campgrounds of the park. Work is set to begin next month and be completed in early 2021. The same company was awarded the $26 million contract in May 2019 to construct the new bridge over the Lower Finniss River and complete the upgrade and sealing of the last 12km of Litchfield Park road, to ensure year-round access. Designs for Stage Four of the project are almost finished, which include the construction of another two campgrounds, two recreational areas and a lookout area at the top of the escarpment. The designs are set to be released in the coming months. NT company Aldebaran Contracting Pty Ltd will com plete Stage One of the project, which includes the construction of 18km of access road through the parks Central Valley area. Another local company, Rodeghiero Fong & Partners, was awarded the design contract for Stage Two of the project. The upgrades will open up access to untouched swimming holes, campgrounds and day-use areas for up to nine months of the year. Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics Minister Eva Lawler said the upgrades would help local business bounce back from the impacts of COVID-19. The Territory Labor Government is focused on creating jobs for locals at this challenging time and our $17.5 million investment into Litchfield National Park has already supported three local business, she said. Stage 4 tender opportunit ies for the remaining campgrounds, recreational areas and staging and lookout area will be released in the coming months, further supporting jobs and injecting funds into the local economy. It comes after the Federal Government announced earlier this week that Uluru and Kakadu National Parks would receive a share of a $233 million for infrastructure upgrades. Open borders stop Vikings boat burning WILL ZWAR will.zwar@news.com.au DINAH Beach Yacht Clubs Viking Funeral has been cancelled ahead of the NT borders opening to most states on Friday. Dinah Beach Cruising Yacht Association general manager Wendy McCallum said the committee made the decision based on the size of the event and uncertainty of the coronavirus pandemic. Due to the additional requirements and restrictions of hosting an event over 500 and the uncertainty with new infection flare-ups in Australia while our borders are about to open, we have deter mined to shelve the Viking Funeral for this year, she said. The committee decided that with the uncertainty of everything going on, we dont want to destroy the sanctity of the event. We didnt want to dull it down. While the event, which draws between 1500 and 2000 each year, is the clubs biggest annual fundraiser, Ms McCallum said it wouldnt have to adjust further operations with the borders reopening. Theres nothing that we havent already got in place with our COVID-19 safety plan well need to do, she said. Tanya Drohan, Ray Jarrett and Liza Bowers wont be at The Mega Annual Viking Funeral after its cancellation. Picture: KERI MEGELUS


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.