The Northern Territory news Thu 16 Jul 2020
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
THURSDAY JULY 16 2020 NEWS 03 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Woman dies in car crash, baby hurt A 21-YEAR-OLD woman has died and an 11-month-old baby boy has been medevaced to Alice Springs following a car rollover near Tennant Creek yesterday morning. The two other occupants of the car, a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, were taken to the Tennant Creek Hospital for treatment for non-life threatening injuries. The woman died at the scene of the crash, which occurred at 10.25am, 55km north of Tennant Creek near the Gibson and South Haywood creeks. Passing motorists notified local authorities. The relationship between the four occupants is not known, however police have notified next of kin. The Major Crash Investigation Unit from Alice Springs is investigating the circumstances surrounding the cause of the crash. The NT road toll for 2020 now stands at 13. New class of educators arrive in NT THE Territorys newest teachers and principals are undergoing orientation in preparation for Term 3. Sixteen principal positions have been filled by Territory residents, and one by a Victorian educator. Six teacher recruits have also come from the Territory, while there are two new recruits from each of Queensland and Western Australia. Theres also one teacher each from New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria. The new recruits are headed for schools across the Territory including Central Australia, Arnhem, Darwin, Palmerston and Rural, and the Big Rivers and Barkly regions. All education staff who arrive from interstate before tomorrow are being supported to undertake two weeks of selfisolation where required. Case adjourned again for scientist in lockdown DISGRACED sports scientist Stephen Dank has narrowly avoided having a warrant issued for his arrest after being granted yet another adjournment in the Darwin Local Court. Dank applied for legal aid in February after being charged with fraud and forgery offences and on Wednesday his lawyer, Matt Hubber, said he was still in the process of sorting out public funding for his defence. Mr Hubber said Dank was locked down in a coronavirus hotspot in Melbourne but he acknowledged his client was on thin ice and said hed told him he would be unlikely to get a further adjournment after this week. Judge Greg Cavanagh said he would put the matter off one more time but only because Dank was stuck in Melbourne. Hes only getting an adjournment because of COVID-19 and hes in lockdown, not because hes still getting himself together, he said. The case is now due to return to court on August 5. Stephen Dank. Alleged trolley assault A 34-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested after allegedly assaulting a man before ramming a shopping trolley into his head in the Casuarina Square car park. According to NT Police, the accused man allegedly got into an argument with a 30-yearold man about 8.15pm on Tuesday. Police said he punched the man in the head, causing him to fall before allegedly ramming a shopping trolley into the victims head. CCTV allowed police to track the man to a nearby taxi rank where he was arrested. He remained in custody and was expected to be charged. The injured man was taken to the Royal Darwin Hospital for treatment. Rolfes parents opt to sell family home CRAIG DUNLOP email@example.com THE high-society Canberra parents of NT police Constable Zachary Rolfe, who is awaiting trial for murder, are selling their dress-circle family home just weeks after revealing they had been the target of conduct so serious their son could no longer live with them while on bail. Constable Rolfe, 29 is on leave from Northern Territory Police on full pay after being charged with the mur der of Kumanjayi Walker, 19, after shooting him during an arrest at Yuendumu in November last year. He has indicated he will plead not guilty. The aftermath of Constable Rolfes shooting of Kumanjayi Walker saw tense protests around the country. Constable Rolfe has not returned to the NT since being granted watch-house bail, after which he flew home accompanied by his mother, Canberra socialite and philanthropist Deb. He has attended pre-trial court hearings by video link. Constable Rolfes bail conditions included living at his parents home on Endeavour Street, in the leafy Canberra suburb of Red Hill. That changed last month when Northern Territory Local Court Judge John Birch rubber-stamped Constable Rolfe moving to an address which is suppressed after being handed a confidential affidavit detailing conduct that is alleged to have taken place towards the defendant, as well as his family. The affidavit detailing the alleged conduct towards Constable Rolfe and his parents has not been made public, but the The Canberra Star has been told by nearby residents of activists who appear to be associated with the Black Lives Matter movement. Constable Rolfes father, Richard Rolfe, is a successful and respected Canberra car dealer. Requests for comment on his sons case have been met with refusals from his staff. The listing for the familys five-bedroom home makes no mention of the reason for the sale. It is not being sold to bankroll Constable Rolfes top-dollar defence, which is being funded by the NT Police Association. LJ Hooker agent Stephen Thompson told realestate. com.au the home was on a large parcel of land and would attract discerning buyers. It goes to auction on July 25. Constable Zachary Rolfe with his parents Deb and Richard and (inset) the Rolfe familys Canberra home, which goes to auction on July 25.